Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4477926 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1440 on: December 29, 2011, 08:54:39 pm »
JO I like the wallee concept. I would love one in the kitchen connected to a VESA pivot arm !!

Yes, how good does it look under the bench.  Alas I don't have the right set up for that in my kitchen.  :(

I like the Wallee concept too, even though I don't plan on attaching it to the wall, I didn't want to write that off either as things can change.  They also make a stand that it slots into that takes up very little bench space.  The glove i like as a protector for when putting into my handbag.  ;D

Maddy I like that stand too.  I noticed a few products in Dick Smith's yesterday when having a look.  :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 29, 2011, 09:11:32 pm »
MJ, I wouldn't get rid of the laptop until you've had an iPad for a little while and could then gauge whether you need it or not. Apparently the iPad can't do everything that a computer can and isn't meant to take the place of. 

For me I can't imagine the touch screen keyboard ever replacing my normal keyboard for all the typing I do. I love my Macbook pro and think they both have their place.  I'll be able to comment further once I've had the iPad for a little while.  :)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1442 on: December 29, 2011, 10:12:20 pm »
I agree with JulieO.  Hold on to your MacBook. 

I don't "yet" have an iPad but I do have the 27" iMac and the 17" MacBook pro, usually hooked up to a 24" monitor next to the iMac and use both, shifting back and forth with large graphic and photo files which might take some time to upload.  I've had a trial with an iPad and can't begin to see that it would sub for my MacBook.  I constantly use Photoshop on both and need the full app, not the "Express" version which won't allow for "migration" from one monitor to the other. 
I can see having the iPad as an auxiliary unit. 
The other problem I have is with the keyboard.  I don't do well with the virtual keyboard - I would have to have the external one, which is one more thing to fool with.  I do have an extended external keyboard for the MacBook when I'm using it with the monitor. 
My typing speed is very rapid and it is the response of the keys that facilitates this, with no key "rebound" I often get two letters instead of one on the virtual keyboard.  (My typing speed on a recent online test was 106 wpm, a bit slower than my best a year or so ago.  I fear that with the virtual keyboard it would be much slower.)
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 29, 2011, 10:35:00 pm »
Oh I love that dress MJ!   8).....perfect match for killer stilettos, and greeting my husband with a lavish hot meal as soon as he gets in the door, whilst passing him his slippers & a martini......  :P......yeah right....LOL.

Julie, I find typing on the pad landscape way, really easy.  The keys are big and I find it just as easy as touch typing...see how you go.
You can also buy a plug/cord thing, to transfer photos to the iPad with your own camera.  I think I will get one as the pads camera isn't too flash.  I can then still upload photos to photobucket, and store them that way.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 29, 2011, 10:39:10 pm »
You really had me there for a while maddy - I was thinking what a great old fashioned wife you are until I got to the end of the sentence and burst out laughing.   :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:00 pm »
Maddy I have that little adapter. Love it! It means I can just plug my SD card into the iPad plug in and can transfer photos to the iPad and photobucket from there. Makes things really easy and quick. I had it at my friends sons birthday and at the end plugged it into her iPad and transferred all the party photos from my DSLR before I left  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:14 pm »
You really had me there for a while maddy - I was thinking what a great old fashioned wife you are until I got to the end of the sentence and burst out laughing.   :D :D

Me too JD. She had me going for a while.  ;D ;D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 29, 2011, 11:00:34 pm »
Maddy I have that little adapter. Love it! It means I can just plug my SD card into the iPad plug in and can transfer photos to the iPad and photobucket from there. Makes things really easy and quick. I had it at my friends sons birthday and at the end plugged it into her iPad and transferred all the party photos from my DSLR before I left  ;)

Fantastic Meagan....I'm sold on it now!  That sounds even easier than I anticipated :)

Do these women still exist?    :P  I would think not...I shudder when I see it in the movies  ;D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 29, 2011, 11:05:20 pm »
DH sometimes watches classic movies on Foxtel - oh how times have changed  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 30, 2011, 01:10:36 am »
Maddy I love typing on the ipad. I use landscape way too and it is so touch sensitive. I love how it predicts what you are typing too. All in all fantastic.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 30, 2011, 01:23:24 am »
I wouldn't get rid of the MacBook, I get very frustrated that flash isn't available on the iPad and even though I couldn't last long without the iPad there are still quite a few things I need the Mac desktop for. I've got the camera connector into which you just slot the camera card and it's brilliant - although we have managed to loose two of them so watch where you put them!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 30, 2011, 02:08:48 am »
my perfume arrived from the uk yesterday. got it off Beauty Cult, free shipping. In a shop here in Perth it costs $175, online and delivered $100  :o
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1452 on: December 30, 2011, 02:23:28 am »
I also have one of those camera transfer things. $20 great, strongly recommended.   My iPad slips into my travel handbag, in it's slim protector case.    I have a macBook and it works well with the iPad. I often have both going together.  In the morning, when I wake very early, I surf the cooking web sites and as my iPad is first edition and doesn't print of take photos,  I email any recipes that I want to print to the MacBook.  If I am not sure I really like the recipe I just bookmark it and check it out later.  I learn something new every day although with the more complicated processes , I am a bit like a monkey that is taught a process and can just repeat it,  without really understanding why it happens.
If we are having visitors,  I decide on the menu and then bookmark all of the recipes.  I then work from the iPad by just clicking on the bookmarked recipe.  Very easy and saves searching for each recipe.

I am sitting watching the Yachts coming in at Hobart,  and typing this on my iPad. DH is using his iPad to see which yacht will be next.  I am waiting to cheer young Jessica Watson and her crew as they come in.  At night I read the books that I have bought for about 1/3 of the cost of printed ones.  sorry this is a bit long winded.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 30, 2011, 02:34:17 am »
Not long winded at all Chookie, when I'm buying something new it's good to get other peoples perspective and also hear what they are doing with it.  I wish Mr. Courier would hurry up!  :-\

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 30, 2011, 02:56:21 am »
ooo  OOO OOOOO  It's arrived!!!! Off to play.  ;D