Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478100 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #720 on: October 02, 2011, 03:04:43 am »
 :D A new top just fell into my lap yesterday when I went shopping. My husband says this morning, I like your new top that fell into the wardrobe.

;D ;D ;D

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 04, 2011, 01:22:00 pm »
i think i will take maddy with me to bali  ;D

LOL.....that would be fun.....if I can past my stupid phobia of being kidnapped, and my organs harvested for the black market  :-X.........I know, ridiculous right?

I am seriously contemplating getting this desk and side table for DD's room

need to see if it's practical to sit at with her laptop

love the high gloss black.
It's so hard to find something different...it's the same stuff in every shop. 
Usually I paint 2nd hand/vintage pieces, but I want her to finally have some new items.

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:05 pm »
Lovely pieces maddy. Will she be dusting her own room, black is a dreadful dust catcher but apart from that aspect, it will fit in with the rest of the things you have chosen beautifully..
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:48 pm »
JD remember all of that black back in the 80 s all of my friends had everything black, not me i will stick with timber then and now
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 04, 2011, 01:37:01 pm »
Will she be dusting her own room, black is a dreadful dust catcher but apart from that aspect, it will fit in with the rest of the things you have chosen beautifully..

Ah, I now remember it is a dust magnet!  I had black furniture as teen (and would it surprise you that I had hot pink walls, and black/white checkerboard floor)  :P
She wants it....she will dust it!   She had initially wanted those mirrored tables  :o but seeing all those fingerprints would drive me even more bonkers!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 04, 2011, 03:16:07 pm »
:D A new top just fell into my lap yesterday when I went shopping. My husband says this morning, I like your new top that fell into the wardrobe.

;D ;D ;D

Robyn

way better than me obbie, I had a 12 pack of toilet paper fall into mine!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #726 on: October 04, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »
Will she be dusting her own room, black is a dreadful dust catcher but apart from that aspect, it will fit in with the rest of the things you have chosen beautifully..

Ah, I now remember it is a dust magnet!  I had black furniture as teen (and would it surprise you that I had hot pink walls, and black/white checkerboard floor)  :P
She wants it....she will dust it!   She had initially wanted those mirrored tables  :o but seeing all those fingerprints would drive me even more bonkers!

French polished furniture takes and shows fingerprints with very little effort.  It's the same surface that is put on pianos and think how they seem to attract dust fingerprints with a will.

I have a dining table that has the French polish finish and it lives permanently under a pad and table cloths, that finish is just to difficult to maintain.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 04, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »
Very wise words Andie......so why is it, that my brain won't process these comments, and still have these pieces in my sights?  :-\
Cosmetically I think they will look fabulous, but the common sense side of my brain seems to be switching off!   :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:05 am »
I should add that one drop of cola or similar soft drinks will put a white stain on the surface almost immediately.  Wiping it away will leave a "foggy" mark and from personal experience, I can tell you that it is not inexpensive to have moisture rings and such removed - the entire surface has to be refinished or there will be "ripples" showing. 

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 05, 2011, 01:11:25 am »
 :o  Oh Andie.....you are positively scaring me now! LOL.

Can I ask maybe a stupid question.....but is proper french polish finish different to a basic high gloss varnish?
I need to find out if these pieces are a 2 pack type of material (like the high gloss kitchen cupboards), or varnished. 
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 05, 2011, 01:26:13 am »
ROFL CP  :D :D :D

I am like you - it is usually toilet paper, nappies and cat food that drops into my trolley.  I long for the day when the boys are finally out of nappies!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 05, 2011, 03:03:41 am »
:o  Oh Andie.....you are positively scaring me now! LOL.

Can I ask maybe a stupid question.....but is proper french polish finish different to a basic high gloss varnish?
I need to find out if these pieces are a 2 pack type of material (like the high gloss kitchen cupboards), or varnished. 

It is different and originally was done with many layers of shellac both clear and colored.  Now it is done with a nitrocellulose lacquer laid down in a few layers with sanding and polishing between.  The newer materials are not as fragile as the original but are still not as easy to maintain as wood that has been varnished with "marine" varnish that repels water and many chemicals. 

The problem with furniture that is finished with colored or black high-gloss enamel, is that it chips, especially on edges, corners and as the under layers are usually white or gray, it is very obvious. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:05 am »
I went to the Kitchen Warehouse this morning and bought some silver sparkle to put on icing, a digital thermometer and 3 crumpet things-like egg rings with a handle. Photo to follow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 05, 2011, 08:58:33 am »
There are a couple of crumpet recipes on here that I have been looking at cookie and I was wondering about where KW would have the rings - are they the same size as "bought" crumpets?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 05, 2011, 09:04:50 am »
I'd say there a slightly smaller. I ended up having to ask for them. They were near the silicon egg rings. $4.99 each.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/