Author Topic: Nico Moretti 'Food for Friends' book  (Read 13081 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Nico Moretti 'Food for Friends' book
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:10:37 pm »
I'm trying to order anything I want to get from Ozzie in enough time to be delivered to my Mum before she visits at the beginning of August (can't wait!  ;D).  I've got the vegetarian book there ready and waiting for me.  And I keep wondering about the Nico Moretti book.  Does anyone have a copy?  What do you think of it?  Is it more of a general recipe book with some TM conversions, or is it really worth it as a TM book?

It's a bit more money than I really want to spend just at this moment, and I've promised that I'm not buying any more non-TMX cookbooks for the time being.  But on the other hand, if there are lots of good TMX recipes in it ...  I'm havering here (if that makes sense to anyone outside of Northern Britain), and am hoping that you can help me to make my mind up.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Nico Moretti 'Food for Friends' book
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:57:34 am »
Sorry Caroline, I can't help you as I haven't seen it.
I only have a few recipes that he adapted for the TM. :)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:34:55 am »
I have it Caroline and these are the recipes in the book which are TMX friendly.
Pastry, Moroccan Harira, Tom Kha Gai, Chicken caesar salad dressing, 3 sauces for gnocchi, Thai green curry which includes making the paste, Bourbon BBQ glaze, Thai Chicken & Basil (I've already posted this one on the forum, yum) Steamed Red Emperor, steamed rice, chilli orange dressing, steamed Thai fish cakes, raspberry chocolate & nougat semi-freddo, berry coulis, chocolate sauce, lemon tart filling, chocolate obsession, berry & lime butter stack, summer fruit crumble, citrus ricotta cakes, ricotta cream, coconut cake and mango lassi.  My daughter also has the book and says everything she does (i.e. not TMX friendly) is great.  She loves his book.  I have only done the Thai chicken and basil so far.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:46:22 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:44:39 am »
Yes his book is more like a normal recipe book but it has TM conversions for some recipes. I have also converted a couple of extra recipes for myself.
If you are after TM recipes only, they have just bought out a booklet of Nico's recipes which are TM only. They are available for $6. I havent investigated completely yet but it seems the booklet is just the converted TM recipes found in his Cooking for friends book, so probably a better choice if you just want TM stuff.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 02:10:30 pm »
Hoping to get a copy of the mini booklet late this week. Haven't seen the other Nico book.... but after JD's run on the desserts, might have to order one  ;) :D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 02:26:11 pm »
Hi CarolineW, you can get it cheaper here - https://www.urbanprovider.com.au/orderform.cfm?CFID=16400806&CFTOKEN=40433721&jsessionid=f0306ee077dc688bea001f8023317f58d383 unless you are really keen to repay Grace for earlier kindnesses and buy from her?

For the price - mi dispiace Nico, ma spero che sia un neuvo libro presto solo per il Thermomix - for the Thermomix component I would wait for the Meat Cookbook, the Indian cookbook or Nico's Thermomix cookbook ( if he does one).  Nico has just started to do Thermomix classes at his cooking school - so a cookbook is possible !! 

The book has recipes used in cooking classes and there are TMX conversions in the last few pages as JD says.  Hopefully, he will write a TMX cookbook.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:24:33 pm »
Caroine, I have the book.  It has 12 Starters/sides; 8 salads; 5 pasta/noodles; 11 meat/poultry; 8 seafood & 13 desserts & drinks recipes.  Of those 22 have at least partial conversions.  My favourite recipe from it so far is "Dragon-style" barbecue pork & soba noodle salad but there is no TM conversion for that.  Suspect you may feel a bit short-changed by this book if you are after something that concentrates on TM & as a "foodie" you are probably beyond it as an inspirational cookbook.  I think the booklet being referred to has the recipes from the cooking class he did last year on his Thermo-tour of Australia.

Hope that helps.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:30:28 am »
Ok have done more investigating regarding the booklet. It was only printed at the end of April and is not the cooking class booklet, although it contains some of the recipes made at the cooking class.
There are some recipes from his cookbook but also some new ones also. Here is the index.

Recipes found in the Food for friends cookbook.

Ceasar salad dressing
bouron BBQ glaze
Steamed Thai fish cakes
Thai chilli chicken and basil
Berry and lime butter stack
Summer fruit crumble
coconut cake

New recipes from Nico in "Entertaining with Nico" booklet.
Mango chilli eye-opener shot
Frozen Daiquiri
Quick tomato salsa
Orange and fennel salad
Italian lemon rice soup
Mini Arancini balls
Creole Meatballs
Pumpkin, feta and Zucchini quiche
Nico's mashed potatoes
Frozen mojito cheesecake
Steamed spiced quince
White chocolate pannacotta

Hope that helps.
Sheree
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 05:42:32 am »
Where can you buy the booklet from?  I haven't seen it on the thermomix HQ website or the urban-provider website (that doesn't mean it isn't there though).

Chelsea  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:16:27 am »
I have not seen them on offer anywhere (except here).  Think it is probably one of those things that head office hopes consultants will tell their clients about - it has certainly not been advertised via Newsletter etc.

The budget busters leaflet has only been advertised on the blog as far as I know too.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 08:19:51 am »
Chelsea Ive sent you a PM! :)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 02:11:39 pm »
Yep you will be able to get them through a consultant. Otherwise i have been told that head office has/in the process of setting up a system where customers can order direct from the website rather than going through consultants. But haven't investigated whether it is up and running yet.
Sheree
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 03:54:24 am »
Judy,  Have you checked out your email on this site?  I sent you one a day or two ago. 

Trudy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 04:35:50 am »
Judy,  Have you checked out your email on this site?  I sent you one a day or two ago. 

Trudy
Nothing there Trudy so I have sent you a PM
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 01:40:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice, folks!  I decided not to buy, based on this feedback.  Waiting hopefully for him to produce a TMX book  :)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!