Author Topic: Shampoo?  (Read 29217 times)

stacelee

Shampoo?
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:24:59 am »
If anyone is interested I have found a recipe for shampoo that is in a "Natural Beauty" book that I bought years ago.  I would be happy to convert try to convert it.  It uses a herbal infusion, glyerine and saponified coconut oil.

I gave using bicarb to wash my hair this morning a try and was surprised at how well it works.

Take care
Stacey

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Shampoo?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:09:47 am »
That would be a great addition stacelee -ta  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 04:31:25 am »
i use bicarb to wash my hair most of the time (i only use shampoo when the bicarb is really not working anymore) it's brilliant! i also use it to brush my teeth and scrub my face, and clean the shower lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

stacelee

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:43:53 am »
I use bicarb a lot for cleaning....actually buy a bulk bag of it from Campbells Cash & Carry but have never used it for personal hygiene before.  I swear by it for getting gunk off of pretty much anything.  Unfortunately it didn't work fast enough to get some burnt bits off of my brand new tawa frypan the other day.  My very helpful husband decided to use some commercial oven cleaner to help it along.  He didn't realise that it was an anodised surface and my beautiful smooth tawa has now gone into the rubbish bin as a pitted no longer smooth mess.  Next time he might let the bicarb do the job. (I HOPE!!!).

I'm out for the day tomorrow but will try to get some coconut oil on Sunday and give the recipe a whirl.  I've actually found a couple of books that I used to use when I was at uni to make my own cosmetics.....I used to make a great cold cream recipe if anyone is interested in that as well.

Have a great day
Stacey

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:18:23 am »
OK girls, whats the go with bicarb for washing your hair.  How much do you use and does it lather up?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:56:08 am »
no it doesn't lather.  i use a decent amount, maybe 3 tablespoons? i went my hair and rub it through then leave it in while i wash etc. it basiclaly absorbs the oil and you just rinse it out really well.

gotta run, more later!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:47:32 am »
Sounds like it would be great for smelly dogs too ;D ;D (not that I am suggesting our heads are smelly ??? ???)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 08:01:47 am »
would be brilliant for smelly dogs! bicarb is great for absorbing smells in any case. also much gentler on his skin :)
My Cooking Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 08:06:35 am »
oh i meant to say before that you can use diluted apple cider vinegar as a conditioner, but tbh these days i don't bother.

jsut so you know, bicarb doesn't leave your hair feeling squeaky clean, it does take a bit of getting used to the feeling of it. but your hair will still be clean even if it feels the way you're used to "dirty" hair feeling.
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 08:08:26 am »
DH would love that - he can't do anything with his hair when just washed but it behaves itself just before it is due to be washed again.  Must try it on him.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19:03 am »
that's exactly what it's like!  i have short hair (the pic in my avatar is about 4yo lol) and i don't need styling stuff when i use the bicarb to wash with, it's great! it has so much more body i guess
My Cooking Blog

stacelee

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 11:19:19 pm »
For those who are interested the recipe is:
1 cup very strong herbal infusion (I've used rosemary and mint)
2 tsp saponified coconut oil
1 tsp glycerine.

No instructions as to how to use it.

My experiments so far:
I haven't been able to use saponified coconut oil so I tried avocado oil.  This turned out to be a fantastic conditioning treatment but a shocking shampoo.  The oil didn't wash out of my hair but has left my hair looking very soft and smelling good (once I used bicarb to get the worst of the oil out).
I have now bought coconut oil (not saponified) which is rock solid....managed to melt it by putting it through the microwave but has solidified in the shampoo over night...so probably won't use this until summer.
I have bought some liquid castile soap from the health food shop and was going to try mixing the first concoction with it to see what happens.  I'm going to try to get to Mrs Flannery's in the next few days and see if they have the saponified coconut oil.

Will let you know how I go.
Have a great day
Stacey

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 11:30:18 pm »
what a saga lol

have you looked at the aussie soapmaking supplies website? they may have it?
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 04:10:40 am »
Thanks stacelee for being a willing guinea pig.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

stacelee

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 02:28:57 am »
Finally had a chance this morning to play with the recipe again.  I've bought a bottle of liquid castille Dr Bonner soap from the health food store....went to Mrs Flannery and no joy with the saponified coconut oil but I think from reading it is similar to the Dr Bonner.  The recipe I used was 2 cups rosemary & mint tea (very very strong), 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, 1 tablespoon of liquid castille soap.  I washed my hair with it and my body :).  I used probably about 2 tablespoons of the mixture on wet hair.  It lathered well and my hair feels clean and soft....but a bit heavier than it normally feels after using commercial shampoo.  I normally have quite fluffy hair after using commercial shampoo.....it doesn't look oily this morning but definately feels heavier.  The test will come as to how it looks tomorrow.

Anyway...just an update....may try adding a little more soap next time...the avocado oil might be a little rich but I can't use the coconut oil as it goes solid overnight in the cold...will have to wait to use that in summer.

Take care
Stacey
(resisting the urge to go play farmville on facebook....need to get work done...damn 14 year old son for getting me started on it)