Author Topic: Pesto Pasta  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Pesto Pasta
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:02:28 am »
I love a good pesto pasta and I've found some great recipes for making the sauce but I was kinda hoping there was a way to cook the sauce and the pasta together, like the recipe in the TM book for the Creamy Tomato and Salami Fettuccine.

Of the pesto sauce recipes I've found they all seen rather thick and it seems it would be better to make the sauce in the TM and just boil the pasta in a pot on the stove the good ol' fashioned way.

The Creamy Tomato and Salami Fettuccine recipe has cream and water added to it so I'm thinking maybe just add that to one of the pesto sauce recipes and then use the aforementioned TM recipe times and temperatures as a guideline to create a unique TM Creamy Pesto Pasta recipe. What do you think?
"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully." - 1 Peter 3:15

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Pesto Pasta
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:08:19 am »
i'm not sure it would be possible but open to ideas...
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:00:22 pm »
Jad, we have a recipe here with some clams and onion all cooked with pasta together so maybe this can help you adapt it to trial it out

Some garlic, shallot (or onion),30g olive oil in THX, 3 mins, Temp Varoma, Speed 1.
Then we add 500g tinned chopped tomato,, 350g water and some spices (so you will need to place 850g liquid, whether it be water, wine, stock etc) This cooks for 14 mins, Temp Varoma, Speed 1. And above in the Varoma you place the spaghetti so that it gets some steam and becomes softish. Clams are steamed in the varoma.
When the time is up, place the spaghetti (300g) in THX wrapping it around the blades,(its all soft)
And then program 8 mins (or whatever it says on packet) Temp Varoma, reverse, soft speed.
Now I have made this and theres not that much sauce on. Its lovely!

So maybe you could do similar by doing the garlic and onion, then some tomato (take out 150g as you will be adding 150g pesto sauce) and water, and then when you add the pasta to the THX add the pesto sauce that you have previously made! ;)

Hope this inspires you to try! ;) The recipe I made above worked perfectly!
Could be a pesto (with a bit of tomato) But what you must take into account I guess is the fact that to cook 300g pasta you will need almost 900g liquid. I might try it, no pine nuts though so will have to wait till next week! If it works I will let you know!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:33:46 pm by bron »
Amanda

Spain

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 11:35:21 pm »
Hi Bron,

Thanks for the recipe idea I really appreciate it. I totally agree on the liquid quantities btw. My first trial run was not running enough. I like a thick creamy sauce but my 625g of pasta with only 100g of water and 300g cream dried up pretty quick lol. I also use veal tortellini pasta which once the liquid dried up the TM just started mulching my pasta up into slosh lol, even on :-::-[

Anyway I was hoping the liquid would keep the pasta stirring nice and evenly through. It would have been fine with less pasta I think, and some dried pasta chopped in half like fettuccine or something. I will try it again however and incorporate some of your recipe as well so thanks for the tips.

"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully." - 1 Peter 3:15

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:04:40 am »
Jad, I believe the maximum amount of pasta that can be cooked in the THX IS 500g and thats with 1.500g of water, so I can imagine your attempts with 625g of pasta :o :o :o
Try with 300g first and 900g of liquid including the pesto sauce and see how that goes. Good luck, I will try it too when I get some pine nuts! ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:46:51 am »
Hi Jad

Sorry, didn't see this thread.  Really don't like your chances of having a good result with pesto cooking with the pasta.  Think it is going to be better to prepare the pesto and add it to the drained (not thoroughly) pasta.

Maybe add some extra oil to make it mix with the pasta - but think cooking them together will make a gluggy mess.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.