Author Topic: Devil of a Cookbook - links to reviews.  (Read 70151 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Re: Devil of a Cookbook - links to reviews.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 01:29:03 am »
I was looking at getting this book, but will wait and see if they reproduce it with all the amendments. Hate to get a nice cookbook and have to scribble down alterations in it.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 01:31:11 am »
Thank you so much Thermo Mrs!!  Now adding those corrections to my book . . .  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:08:37 am by goldfish »

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 02:17:35 am »
Does anyone think I should cancel my order of this book and wait and see if they reprint it with the amendments?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 02:52:39 am »
Probably too late for that Amy unless you ordered it through your consultant who may be able to cancel it for you.
I like the idea of a recall but I can't see that happening - there would end up being no money to save the Tasmanian Devil at all.
Shame I say and such an embarrassment to those concerned.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 03:04:48 am »
As far as I can see there has been nothing mentioned on the FB page. I'm really disappointed that I now have to handwrite so many amendments throughout my lovely new recipe book. Here is the email I received, please don't forget that there is also an amendment for the gluten free double choc muffins separate to this email:

...our sincere apologies—a few gremlins got into the typing in the production of the Devil of a Cookbook and as a result we have produced these changes to the following recipes:

1. Peanut Satay Sauce—P 37 Use 250g peanut butter

2. Fee’s Quince Paste—P42 Push the mixture through a sieve after cooking the quince (to remove core pieces) then add sugar and continue cooking until a drop sets when dropped in cold water

3.  Mick’s Ciabatta—P 98 Double the poolish quantity and add 100g extra water to the 300g used in the recipe to create a really sticky dough

4.  Chocolate Brownies—P 133 Use 170g dark chocolate buttons, 60g cocoa powder, 110g plain flour etc and begin by grating the chocolate for 10 secs on speed 8 and setting aside.

5.  Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins—P135 Add 130g caster sugar to the dry ingredients

6.  Martha’s Melting Moments—P143 Decrease sugar to 80g and increase butter to 250g

NB: Where recipes ask for ‘bunches’ use a tiny little hand picked bunch or add to your taste.

We hope you enjoy this book and enjoy adding your own twists to the recipes to make them your own!

Does anyone think I should cancel my order of this book and wait and see if they reprint it with the amendments?

Amy, I copied and pasted Thermo Mrs' post into word, printed it out and stuck it in front of the book . . . continuing to make all those changes by hand didn't quite appeal  >:(    

Apart from all this, I think the book worth having - at least for the cause it represents (if it didn't I probably wouldn't have bothered knowing all the mistakes there were in it) and there are some nice recipes in there.  Maybe we could try those recipes that have received the thumbs down and then review them again . . .maybe those moments will actually melt this time! ;)

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 03:20:58 am »
 :D Goldfish. I think I am scared off melting moments forever! That batch I made the other week were seriously a disaster and it's no wonder considering that there should have been only 80g of sugar instead of 180g and there should have been 250g of butter instead of 180g. If this book wasn't for such a good cause I would almost want to return it for a refund! There are some nice recipes but it's certainly disappointing that there are so many errors.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:23:54 am by Thermo Mrs »

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:30 am »
Many thanks again Thermo Mrs!  Your sharing of this information has probably saved some recipes from some awful reviews!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:10:13 am by goldfish »

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 03:40:23 am »
Thanks for letting us know about the changes Thermo Mrs, will update my book now, can't believe the amount of changes  :(

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 06:40:19 am »
Okay, thanks Judy and GF... :(

I'm very disappointed in this, especially since it is the first extra TM book I have ordered.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 07:40:24 am »
Puts a whole new slant on the saying  "The Devil is in the detail"  doesn't it . . . ;D

(When people say that the devil in the detail, they mean that small things in plans and schemes that are often overlooked can cause serious problems later on.)

Amy, how about if we just think of the little critters the funds are going to . . .  Look on the book as a Collectors Item with all its idiosyncracies for future generations and enjoy the recipes you discover in there . . .  ;)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:11:56 am by goldfish »

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 11:26:16 am »
It would be nice if both the tmx facebook page and the Devil of a Cookbook FB page acknowledged that there were some errors before the "official" amendments are released.

I don't like to waste ingredients (I'm sure nobody does!) and I feel that paying $40 for a cookbook should mean that it is thoroughly proofread and tested. It is a very worthy cause and I am pleased that my money has gone to the devils. Ofcourse nothing is perfect but lets be honest, this book has only been out 4-6 weeks and there are already 7 amendments (that I know of).

I won't be removing my post containing the amendments like I have been requested to. It wasn't my intention to be negative, I was simply reposting an email that I received directly from my consultant containing a list of amendments to some recipes in a book. It's not like I leaked a copy of a confidential document from parliament house  ;)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:45 am »
"You are  in good company. There is no reason at all why these amendments should not be published immediately they were discovered. Disgraceful to let people waste their time and money as you say.  You have to ask yourself why HO would tell the consultants and not their customers. The answer is pretty clear"

Totally agree with you Gert. If people wanted to donate they may just as well donate cash rather than have a cookbook with unreliable recipes...it is unforgivable that the draft has not been proof read by the publisher.

Offline Connars nan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 11:53:09 am »
I ordered the book last night 

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 11:58:18 am »
I'm jumping on the bandwagon with ThermoMrs, Gert and courton. I paid for a book with reliable recipes, so thats what I expect. Someone is paid to edit/proof-read these books, and obviously they haven't done a very good job. Every time I make a recipe, I pay for ingredients, and if it goes wrong, it is a waste.

I'm not completely focused on money, but when I pay this much money for cookbook I expect it to be accurate. And when I pay for food and ingredients, it is so they can be eaten, not thrown in the rubbish bin.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 12:05:22 pm »
Well said Amy