Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9035146 times)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #11370 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:45 am »
Great looking food Hally.

Wow Astarra that's a lot of food.  The shaped bread looks cool.  Were the tins easy to use?
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11371 on: August 07, 2012, 06:08:41 am »
Great looking food Hally.

Wow Astarra that's a lot of food.  The shaped bread looks cool.  Were the tins easy to use?

The shaped tins were great to use, I was a bit worried they would stick so spayed them well, they were great! Very happy with the purchase!! :D

Busy cooking Astarra, why that many quiches, they look great.

I always do alot when I do quiches - the recipe I use is for 8 dozen but I always seem to get more!! They freeze well and are great to have on hand when friends call in!! Also needed to use up some eggs - they use 18!!
:D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: August 07, 2012, 06:19:14 am »
Suzanne, they are chocolate mousse pots.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11373 on: August 07, 2012, 08:30:56 am »
Wow Astarra that's a lot of quiches, I make about 3 dozen at a time and tat seems a lot. How much pastry do you use and wat size tins? I would like the recipe as I always guess at the quantities and always end up with more of one component. I also bought the tins after seeing them on the shopping thread so interested in how you go and what you make with the bread.

Hally those chocolate tarts look great.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: August 07, 2012, 09:30:19 am »
Wonder I used patty pan tins, that way I get 12 circles out of 1 sheet of pastry ...so I used 10 sheets today. The ones I do/did is: 18 eggs, 3C grated cheese and 4C diced bacon, salt&pepper... that is it!! Very basic but yum.  :)

The bread is about 1/2 gone already... just spread with butter and vegemite - no wonder my girls are not too bothered with their tea tonight!!!  :D

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #11375 on: August 07, 2012, 11:03:18 am »
I made Moroccan lamb pies to take to work tomorrow
I do the best I can

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: August 07, 2012, 11:52:08 am »
They look great chrissa.  :)  Is the recipe on here or not? TIA  :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: August 07, 2012, 12:31:32 pm »
I cleaned out a heap of limes from my fridge on the weekend as some of them were looking a little sad. The first thing I attempted was Tenia's citrus curd from FFS. It was so easy, the instructions were so clear, it made 3 jars ( one has gone to mum as grandma always used to make it) and it was utterly delicious.
Next project was to attempt a lime and poppy seed variation of my chick pea cake. I wanted to make it lighter, so I separated the eggs and whipped the egg whites and then folded them through the batter. It was a very soft and moist cake, but I could taste the chick peas in it, which is not noticeable in the chocolate version. DD thought it tasted a bit eggy. However, the next day I sandwiched the two cakes together with a layer of the lime curd, followed by some softly whipped cream that I had also folded lime curd into. I did the same on the top and took it to a family function. Everyone thought that the cake was lovely, and no one noticed the chick pea flavour.
I probably wouldn't make it again - the apple or the chocolAte versions are much better.
I also converted my chocolate orange refrigerator biscuit recipe which is one of my favourite biscuits- very light and crisp. I will post the recipe soon.
I had more limes left, so I made lime and coconut biscuits http://thermomixer.wordpress.com/tag/thermomix-cookies/. I reduced the sugar a little, but they weren't sweet enough, so I drizzled them with melted white chocolate.
I had whipped too much cream, so I made quicker than a packet cake cupcakes and topped them with the lime curd and cream, And a sugar flower.
I have some photos, but they aren't on my iPad, so I'll try to post them soon :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:38:18 pm by EmeraldSue »
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: August 07, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »
Astarra, I saw a recipe in the coles booklet and I made the spice mix from a google search and used the bolognese recipe from the EDC book for the recipe as a guide to put it together

1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp allspice
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp coriander
3/4 cayenne pepper
3/4 cinnamon

1 small onion & 2 garlic cloves in TMX chop 5 seconds speed 5
Add a little oil and sauté 3 mins 100 Deg. Speed 1
Add 300 lamb mince 8 mins reverse varoma temp speed soft
Add 1tblsp spice mix and 180g chopped canned tomatoes 5 mins reverse varoma temp speed soft
Add 2 tblsp sultanas and some baby spinach and just combine.  ( I didn't have spinach so I used home grown baby silverbeet leaves)

It needed something else so I added about a tablespoon of honey and some salt.

I've used shortcrust pastry on the bottom and puff on top in my pie maker.
I do the best I can

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:41 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas for limes Emerald Sue.  I was given a bag from a friend last week, and am struggling to use them all up.

Today I am cooking a super-hot version of sweet chillil sauce (http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2309.0) for some of the people I work with, who requested it especially fiery!!  I substituted all of the long chillies for the same weight of the tiny, red, "bum burner" chillies, and left all of the seeds in.  I peeked into the MC hole as it was cooking, and it made my eyes water  :o  Glad it is not me eating it  :D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11380 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:06 am »
Thanks Astarra, I have about 4 dozen eggs, so will make those mini quiches with them for DD party Saturday. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:33 am »
Astarra do you not use any milk or cream in with the eggs? I use 1 egg mixed with 1/3 cup of cream for mine and just multiply by how ever many times I need.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: August 08, 2012, 03:05:37 am »

Today I am cooking a super-hot version of sweet chillil sauce (http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2309.0) for some of the people I work with, who requested it especially fiery!!  I substituted all of the long chillies for the same weight of the tiny, red, "bum burner" chillies, and left all of the seeds in.  I peeked into the MC hole as it was cooking, and it made my eyes water  :o  Glad it is not me eating it  :D

Hope you let us know what they thought of it.  ;D ;D

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11383 on: August 08, 2012, 04:38:11 am »
Astarra do you not use any milk or cream in with the eggs? I use 1 egg mixed with 1/3 cup of cream for mine and just multiply by how ever many times I need.

Nope, this is an old family recipe and the way we have always done it.... :)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: August 08, 2012, 05:20:46 am »
I converted an Apricot crumble Bar recipe today and it is delicious - like a nutty shortbread with apricot jam through it.  Hopefully the kids will enjoy it after school.  Made some pasties for dinner tomorrow night and will make up some mixed berry muffins this afternoon.  I've got some filo pastry that is about to hit its use by date so i might make some apple berry and ricotta tarts for dessert.