Author Topic: Do you find.....  (Read 7238 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Do you find.....
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:23:57 am »
......you have more space by stacking your books horizontally or vertically on a book shelf?
seems a lame question, but I have stupidly undertaken the task of sorting my books out, and tidying up the piles elsewhere (dumb move now I realise  :-)))
I have stacked heaps horizontal.....but I still have a huge pile to contend with  :(  I don't want to start over re-stacking until I get some opinions  :)

Thank you   :-*
.........EAT CAKE!

*suzanne*

Re: Do you find.....
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:36:55 am »
I stack both ways. In the bottom of my pantry I stack them horizontally because I was sick of them falling over when I took one out and in my bookcase vertically because they just fit better there, sorry not really any help  :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:01:34 am »
I’m not sure that it makes a lot of difference – perhaps a combination of the two? – what I do know is that if the books are vertical they are easier to get out of the bookshelf.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:14:52 am »
Mine are vertical, but I don't use many cookbooks. :)

Mainly off here.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:01:52 am »
what I do know is that if the books are vertical they are easier to get out of the bookshelf.

Good point....I have figured out they won't all fit in the bookcase  :-\. plan B...whatever that is.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:34 am »
Lol when you figure it out can you let me know too please?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:01:01 am by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:19:53 am »
Gosh that bookshelf looks very familiar to me djinni!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:49 am »
Lol when you figure it out can you let me know too please?

LOL.....I should have taken a before picture....mine was yours x 10 worse than   :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:46:08 am »
Gosh that bookshelf looks very familiar to me djinni!
Me too :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:49:32 am »
 :D :D :D
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »
OK so I can have a tendancy to enjoy organising...but at the same time much of my house is in shambles as I've been recovering from glandular fever for the most part of this year, so I feel a bit hypocritical offering organising advice with the current state of my abode but....

When I'm storing books I try to order them by type and then by size (and then colour if I'm really fussy that day). I find that the large books are best stored vertically for easy access but you might find that you have a collection of small books that if stored horizontally will be more space efficient IYKWIM...In my classroom I often use storage tubs as 'drawers' so that the kids can find the books they need quickly, I've found this is helpful with some books at home too.

Happy organising :-)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »
Great photo djinni, had a good laugh at that one.

I do half and half and actually prefer them horizontally packed as I can read the titles better.  Having said that I rarely pull a recipe book out and can never find the one I want  :-))  Mine are on the bottom shelves of the bookcase which makes it harder to get down there easily.  My TMX books are in a cupboard in the kitchen and are so much easier to get to.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:31:10 am »
Mine are on the bottom shelves of the bookcase which makes it harder to get down there easily. 

So were a lot of mine, so I shoved hubby's down there now (he doesn't read anymore, I piffed a lot of his...he just looks at tractor magazines now).....so I am still working on it  *sighs*
There was dvd's shoved in there, kids prep work books....I even found a sprouting potato  :-\ must have been the boy child!

Jamberie....hope your recover soon, glandular fever really does knock you around, doesn't it!  It's reoccurring for my Brother every year.
Thanks for your tips  :)  What I have noticed is my shelves are not very deep, and I hate books hanging over the edges  :-\  but I have a pretty curtain that I attach to the front.....hence why I am not confronted with the visual shambles every day  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 01:11:39 am »
Anything goes here
Melbourne, inner north

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 04:35:40 am »
Very neat deedub and even room for a couple more shelves to be filled if you remove the photos  ;)  Are they all cookbooks  ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.