Author Topic: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste  (Read 182650 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Re: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 02:34:21 am »
Debbiebillg, no indian store closeby for us but i make naan in the bread-maker.  Will have to try in the TMX now!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 12:12:01 am »
Quick Q: are dried onions the same as fried onions, the sort of things you get on hotdogs? And sometimes get on top of egg fried rice?
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 12:12:52 am »
I don't think so, it's diced dehydrated onion. Oops I thought I was on fosm page,sorry tarasis ignore me!
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:10 am »
Quick Q: are dried onions the same as fried onions, the sort of things you get on hotdogs? And sometimes get on top of egg fried rice?
I just use dehydrated onions from a packet like this Rob
http://www.whitworths.co.uk/our_products/whitworths/stuffing_and_dried_vegetables/dried_onions/
If you can't get any, I have a spare packet in the cupboard that I can post to you. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:56 am »
Thanks Denise for the kind offer, assuming I can drag the kids in I will look today in our Asian store and see if they have any. Another Asian store only had the fried kind.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 12:24:01 pm »
I used the fried dried onions Rob.  Bought a huge packet from an Indian store.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 08:56:38 pm »
Thanks Judy. I tried with the fried onions.

Well went ahead and made this, this evening as a surprise for the missus (she's often not back to 9pm so we don't often eat together). Despite some bumps (22g short of fresh coriander for Tikka Paste, and no green chillies for Butter Chicken or Fresh Coriander), it cooked up fine, smelt good and was quite tasty.

However for both of us it was unexpectedly Too Gawdamn Hot. Once the missus have finished her few bits of chicken (with Rice) she had to stop as she couldn't cope with them burny feeling in her mouth. She thought it tasted great but couldn't cope, she thinks with the chillies in the Tikka paste (indeed we used to find the Chicken in yoghurt could be a bit much but then started leaving the chillies out of that and it's been perfect - though we've had Chillies in the Crispy Chilli Beef sauce without issue).

I'm still working through my plate as I type, my palate has mostly adjusted but not sure now what to do with the rest. I have no clue how to make it rescue able for her.

Wish I'd gone with my other plan and made Honey & Soy Chicken after the Tikka Paste  :'(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:59:12 pm by tarasis »

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 10:15:07 pm »
What type of chillies did you use Tarasis?  Butter chicken is meant to be one of the milder curries...

Try adding some coconut milk to your leftover curry to make it milder.  You could also make a lassi to have with it, alternatively wash it down with a beer or too  ;)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 11:01:00 pm »
id make more sauce to add to it minus the chilli of course or just like carine said and add some more coconut milk to mild it down a bit..  and butter chicken shouldnt be hot especially to the point of burning your mouth out....what sort of chillis did you use...bird eye chillis..tiny tiny red ones????  pity you made the effort for your wife and it wasnt what you both expected...maybe as a rule you should leave out chillis in recipes until you find which ones you want to add them to and which ones you dont...its easier to add in than be stuck xith a dish you cant eat  ;D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:02 pm »
What type of chillies did you use Tarasis?  Butter chicken is meant to be one of the milder curries...

Try adding some coconut milk to your leftover curry to make it milder.  You could also make a lassi to have with it, alternatively wash it down with a beer or too  ;)

Only dried ones available "premium quality dried Kenyan Bird's Eye Chillies". Wondering if I somehow intensified the Tikka Paste strength as the initial step (heating cumin & corriander seeds + dried red chillies) ended up with a few minutes extra. Would that do that? Certainly my Tikka Paste is not the lovely red shown on page 18, it looks much browner and thicker. Certainly the curry was off from being mild; tempted to try the Tikka paste again without the dried red chillies.

Too many variables ATM.

Will try the coconut milk suggestion when I defrost the rest, it's currently freezing. Beer not an option, neither of us likes the stuff :)

id make more sauce to add to it minus the chilli of course or just like carine said and add some more coconut milk to mild it down a bit..  and butter chicken shouldnt be hot especially to the point of burning your mouth out....what sort of chillis did you use...bird eye chillis..tiny tiny red ones????  pity you made the effort for your wife and it wasnt what you both expected...maybe as a rule you should leave out chillis in recipes until you find which ones you want to add them to and which ones you dont...its easier to add in than be stuck xith a dish you cant eat  ;D

Yes, are Bird's Eye chillies particularly bad ones? Seriously tempted to try the Tikka paste again (now damnit - oh to have 24 hour supermarkets again!) without the chillies to find out if that was it, otherwise the paste we have currently isn't so useful (and can't currently freeze it due to lack of pots)

[edit] Ah I see they are indeed very very hot - bugger.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:14:36 pm by tarasis »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 11:27:51 pm »
Yes that would be it, the wrong type of chillies Rob. Yikes, it must have been rip-roaring hot  :o  I use dried Kashmiri Chilly Stemless Capsicum Annum from the Indian store.
Perhaps you could put a teaspoon or more of your very hot tikka paste into any curry you make just to give it a bit of flavour/little kick - going to take you some time to use it all up if you made the full quantity. The next lot of dried chillies you buy, have a chat to the store owner to ensure you are buying a mild chilli.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:26 am »
Sadly I did ask and those were the only ones they had. I'll see what I can find in an Indian /Asian shop up in Hamburg at the weekend when I'm there. 10 hours later and my tongue is still tingling and inside feels off :/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 07:09:34 am »
Poor you. I'm a chicken and when I make the Tikka paste I only use ½ the quantity of chillies.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 09:43:40 am »
Would the paste work without the Chillies? Or _maybe_ like 1-2g of the birds eye chillies? Though at the rate it will take a while to get through the remaining 90g of them :)

Poor you. I'm a chicken and when I make the Tikka paste I only use ½ the quantity of chillies.

Heh sensible approach! With everyone mentioning it was yummy and no mention of hot I didn't even think to be a chicken.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 10:03:22 am »
oh rob yes definately the chillis...they are very hot chillis...i would only use one without the seeds if that or try to find some milder chillis..the bigger green ones are usually a very mild spice level or even bigger red ones but not the small birds eye ones they are very hot
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/