Author Topic: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste  (Read 182647 times)

Offline ellie j

• View Profile
Re: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:33 am »
Am making this today  :) Do you think I could freeze the tikka paste in 100g lots or does it only make 100ish g ???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 01:19:09 am »
Yes you can freeze it ellie j, that's what I do.  It makes quite a lot so that's the best way to store it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ellie j

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 01:44:23 am »
Thanks judydawn... Looking forward to eating dinner tonight !

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
    • Jacq's Thermomix Recepten
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:20 am »
I made the tikka paste and this recipe last weekend and I completely loved it!! I was a bit worried about the quantity of garlic, but the taste wasn't too strong at all! Another winner!!! Everything I have made in the Thermomix so far have been winners. Incredible. I find it hard not to talk about it all day with everybody. If I didn't have a job already I would want to become a consultant. I've only had it for four weeks now, and ever since then I have started to bake fresh bread every day (although not with thermomix but from that brilliant method 'artisan bread in five minutes a day'), grow my own vegetables and herbs. Complete change.  :D
Jacqueline, Ridderkerk, Holland

Offline ellie j

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 11:29:41 am »
Thanks so much for this...everyone loved it and there was enough for seconds !!! And we have enough paste in the freezer for 7 more delicious meals .... So for future reference the paste makes 800g .. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:38 am »
When I make the tikka paste I give a jar each to friends who are ardent cooks.They love the paste and I like making it for them. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 03:10:36 am »
Yumm, mine was really spicy though! i think ill have to add less tikka paste next time, I want this for dinner tonight but it's too much work as I have to make a seperate meal for my kids as they can't have dairy :(

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 08:38:59 am »
Yumm, mine was really spicy though! i think ill have to add less tikka paste next time, I want this for dinner tonight but it's too much work as I have to make a seperate meal for my kids as they can't have dairy :(
I'm sure Jo(quirkycooking)uses coconut milk instead of cream in the recipe as her family doesn't eat dairy.I think I read it on her blog,I can't find the thread on here.
http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Maluhia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 09:52:02 am »
Yep - Ghee removes the milk solids from butter and you can use coconut milk instead of milk - tada!

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:53 am »
We just had this for dinner.  It was very nice.  I don't think I had the right tomato puree - mine was a bit thin, so I just added some tomato paste.  Will definitely be making this again. 
Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 05:45:44 am »
I'm not sure if it is correct or not but I use tomato paste to make mine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:01 am »
I cut down to only 60 grams of tikka paste and left the chilli out, much better for me 'hotness' wise!

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 01:13:16 pm »
Just had this for dinner again tonight.  I am never organised enough to have marinated the chicken in the tikka paste (which I have frozen in 100g lots), so I just throw it in, when I throw in the dry spices.  I also don't like the gravy to be 'bitsy' so I puree it before I add the chicken. 
I think the recipe is meant to be tomato paste ...
I use about 200 ml of Aldi Organic pasta sauce (it is basically just a tomato puree) - forget about the 100ml of water, 1/2 container of the light cooking cream - significantly less than the recipe, 750g of the chicken and I add a tbsp of sugar and it is perfect for our family. 
I tried the cummin and onion naan from the Indian Cookbook - but I just could not get it to rise.  I am not sure if it is just too cold in Melbourne or if my yeast is stuffed.  I cooked them in my pizza maker and they were still okay. 
Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:14 pm »
This was our first main cooked in the TMX and we (hubby,2  sons and i) all enjoyed it.  I did however tweaked the recipe a little by cutting down the cream to 200ml and adding 200ml of coconut milk.  We still ended up with tons of sauce.  Need less of it and more chicken next time.  I really loved to use the TMX for grinding and roasting spices:  fantastic job!
Great recipe to prepare ahead! Thanks :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »
Carine, I always use around 850gr chicken for this recipe.  We freeze the left overs for quick dinners when my DH is on night shift. Reheats really well. 

I have made naan bread but for my cheats version, we go to the Indian grocery store and in the freezer section they sell Parathas / Roti.  They're ready rolled, and frozen uncooked.  To cook you just put them in a non-stick frypan and cook both sides ( the more you pat it with a spatula, the more it puffs up).  My kids go berko for the bread (and us lol).  Because you are actually cooking and not reheating, it's just like what you get in an Indian restaurant.  It costs us about $10-$12 for a pack of about 30.  They're quite big too.  It's nice to make the bread yourself, but for that price, ahhhh the effort isn't justified.  And afterall, we don't buy Indian takeaway anymore lol.  Ohhh and Cookie, I always use tomato paste too.  (I make this at least once a week).