Author Topic: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste  (Read 182648 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:18 am »
For Indian food lovers, this recipe is taken from the Thermomix 'Fast and Easy Indian Cooking'
Ingredients:
500g skinless boneless chicken, cut into 2-3cm pieces
100g tikka paste
40g ghee (or butter if you don’t have ghee)
150g onions, peeled and quartered
2 fresh green chillies, tops removed
20g ginger, sliced along the lines on the skin into 2mm “coins”
10g fresh coriander
10g fresh garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp tumeric
1 tsp salt
100g water
70g tomato puree
500g single cream

Preparation:
1.   Marinate the chicken in the tikka paste, stirring well so it is all evenly coated.
2.   Heat the ghee 1 minute/Varoma temperature/Speed 1. Add onions, chillies, ginger, fresh coriander and garlic. Mince 10 seconds/Speed 5.
3.   Scrape down the sides and lid of the TM bowl with the spatula. Cook 5 minutes/Varoma temperature/Speed 2/Measuring Cup OFF.
4.   Avoiding the blade unit, add dry spices and salt. Cook 3 minutes Varoma temperature/Speed 2/Measuring Cup ON.
5.   Add the water. Cook 5 minutes/Varoma temperature/Speed 1.
6.   Add chicken, tomato puree and cream. Cook 20 minutes/100C/Speed Spoon/Reverse Blade Direction  :-:. Taste and add more salt if necessary.

TIKKA PASTE suitable to freeze - it makes 800g
Ingredients:
40g coriander seeds
40g cumin seeds
10g dried red chillies
50g fresh coriander, washed thoroughly and left to dry on a towel
100g garlic cloves, peeled
100g ginger, sliced in 2mm coins along the lines on the skin
220g olive oil
100g water
100g lemon juice
1 heaped tsp ground tumeric
30g salt
50g dried onions – available in Indian grocery stores
140g tomato puree

1.   Weigh coriander seeds, cumin and dired red chillies into TM bowl. Heat 5 minutes/Varoma temperature/Speed 1.
2.   Grind 1 minute/Speed 8.
3.   Add fresh coriander, garlic, ginger and olive oil to TM bowl. Blend 1 minute/Speed 10. Scrape down the lid and sides of the TM bowl with the spatula.
4.   Add remaining ingredients. Cook 40-60 minutes/80C/Speed 2. When the paste is cooked, a lovely red sheen of oil should be starting to show on the surface. Using a sterilized spoon, spoon the paste into sterilized jars, pouring a little more olive oil if necessary to submerge the paste. Cover the jars with sterilized lids and keep in the fridge. Top up with a little more oil after each use so the paste stays submerged under the oil. This helps to preserve it and will keep for 6 weeks this way.

members' comments

em -Mmmm mmmm, this is a favourite in our house.  I made the paste up today and made the butter chicken for dinner tonight, my 3yr old ds loves it so much he always has seconds!!

Yvette - This is a favourite in our house too.

ClareN - t was really YUM! much better than the EDC recipe!

Churchill - We had tried the Butter chicken from the EDC previously and it was pretty bland. This recipe was really easy to follow and SENSATIONAL! It will definitely made again... and again... and AGAIN! Thank you for the recipe!

Jacq - I made the tikka paste and this recipe and I completely loved it!! I was a bit worried about the quantity of garlic, but the taste wasn't too strong at all! Another winner!!!

ellie j - everyone loved it and there was enough for seconds !!! And we have enough paste in the freezer for 7 more delicious meals .... So for future reference the paste makes 800g.

ahoney - Yumm, mine was really spicy though! I think I'll have to add less tikka paste next time.
Next time I cut down to only 60 grams of tikka paste and left the chilli out, much better for me 'hotness' wise!

cgonsalv -   It was very nice.  I don't think I had the right tomato puree - mine was a bit thin, so I just added some tomato paste.  Will definitely be making this again.
I am never organised enough to have marinated the chicken in the tikka paste (which I have frozen in 100g lots), so I just throw it in, when I throw in the dry spices.  I also don't like the gravy to be 'bitsy' so I puree it before I add the chicken. 
I think the recipe is meant to be tomato paste ...
I use about 200 ml of Aldi Organic pasta sauce (it is basically just a tomato puree) - forget about the 100ml of water, 1/2 container of the light cooking cream - significantly less than the recipe, 750g of the chicken and I add a tbsp of sugar and it is perfect for our family. 

Carine - we all enjoyed it.  I did however tweaked the recipe a little by cutting down the cream to 200ml and adding 200ml of coconut milk.  We still ended up with tons of sauce.  Need less of it and more chicken next time.  I really loved to use the TMX for grinding and roasting spices:  fantastic job! Great recipe to prepare ahead! cookie - I'm not sure if it is correct or not but I use tomato paste to make mine.

Debbiebillg - Carine, I always use around 850 gms chicken for this recipe.  We freeze the left overs for quick dinners when my DH is on night shift. Reheats really well. If it does turn out a bit too spicy, for little kids, I always pick the chicken out of the curry with only a tiny amount of sauce and then pour some extra cream in their bowls for them.  It tames it down heaps for them but you still get a great curry for the adults !

tarasis - made this and despite some bumps (22g short of fresh coriander for Tikka Paste, and no green chillies for Butter Chicken or Fresh Coriander), it cooked up fine, smelt good and was quite tasty. However for both of us it was unexpectedly Too Gawdamn Hot.
Used birdseye chillies so this was the reason.

Stimi - This Butter Chicken with the Home Made Tikka paste is absolutely out-of-this-world. I would definitely recommend you to cook this!

PaulaM - I just made this again, it is so good! I have been using around 400g of tomato passata which is brilliant.
I prefer a more saucy tomatoey style! I wonder whether lamb fillet would work in this sauce? My dinner tonight was divine.

Brumington - This recipe is divine.  I used my leftover sauce to mix in with leftover roast dinner and made it into pies. Yummy!

spektor - This was scrumptious. Best Butter chicken I have ever had and the spiciness gave it a good kick that I enjoyed.

Coops - Thank you for a great recipe! I have been on a bit of a search lately for the perfect butter chicken and I think I have found it! The edc one and a few others I have tried have been very lacking, so this is very exciting.
For those who are not chilli fans, or if you have little ones or cooking for others and not sure if they want chillis, I added NO green chillis and only the tiniest amount of dried red chillis to the tikka paste and it's very delicious still. I also doubled the amount of chicken and there is still a huge amount of sauce.

hopefulcook - I made the paste & the butter chicken (with a lot less cream). I think it is hotter than your typical butter chicken dish, however generally I don't like butter chicken because it is too bland. So I am thrilled with this paste and thrilled with the curry too. I chopped the onion etc in TMX and then transferred to a pot on the stove so that I could use thermie to make the biryani rice from the MOM cookbook. Went down a treat with the adults, too spicy for my kids.

Bubbles - I made this last night and it was to die for!! We had guests and everybody had second helpings! Absolutely delicious! I doubled the chicken to I think it was just under 800 g and there was still plenty of sauce left over.

Yvette - I always use 1 kilo of thigh fillets when making the butter chicken, there is still plenty of sauce.

Bubbles - I used 1kg chicken thighs this time, & marinated it in double tikka paste (200g) and yes, like Yvette there was still plenty of sauce. I also added some steamed  broccoli & cauliflower which was nice. I think using the thigh fillets was much nicer than the breasts. I love this recipe!

Greyhoundmum - I doubled the chicken and left the other ingredients the same. I did add some steamed potatoes at the end as I like the taste of potatoes in my curries and they go much further.  My friends who came last night loved it and they are Indian so must of been ok.

Kusha - It was really yummy and I'll make it again, it was just the right amount of chilli. I used chicken tenderloins, each one cut in half. I swapped 500g cream for 250g Philly light cooking cream (and there was still heaps of sauce) and added a diced medium sweet potato with the chicken to bulk it out a bit. I also added about a cup of frozen peas and cooked for an extra 5 min at the end. We had it served with rice, pappadums and a dollop of natural yoghurt. I loved it but DH didn't seem to appreciate it as much as me.
Because the tikka paste make such a large quantity I am using it for all my curry dishes, red meat, mince and even a small amount in pumpkin soup. It's nice for a lamb curry and you can make the paste with either coconut milk or tomato purée as the base with lots of veggies too. I added a bit of soy sauce to the last one I made.

I do however use my pressure cooker for red meat though... And everything turns out perfect in that...

CC - My family love this recipe too. I double the amount of chicken in the recipe.

Hally - love the tikka paste but the butter chicken isn't what we think butter chicken should be. CP loves the tikka paste with some cream.

Jamberie - Yes, it's a great recipe, easy, yummy and makes lots to feed lots! We usually soak up the left over sauce with the garlic naan and the cumin rice from the Fast & Easy Indian cookbook...yummo!

ajf -  it worked a treat!

VieveMS - I made both the Chicken Tikka Paste and Butter Chicken recipes. The finished dish was tasty but definitely spicier than the Butter Chicken we get in Indian restaurants here in Australia.  I used about 600 grams of chicken and there was way too much sauce for that amount of chicken.  My sauce was also quite runny so I probably should have thickened it a bit before serving.  Served with Mock Rice (cauliflower).

Greyhoundmum - To use up some of the sauce and to include veg as I don't like all meat dishes, I add about four potatoes peeled and diced and a handful of frozen peas or green beans. I think the starch in the potatoes thickens the sauce.

Jaydup - I've been making this for a little while & we all love it. Could I safely double the recipe?

Jamberie - I usually double the chicken but there is soooo much sauce, you shouldn't need to double the rest of the ingredients

Kimmyh - Made this for dinner tonight. Very nice.

consumerate - Stuck to the recipe except used coconut cream instead of cow cream. Flavour of the coconut not even noticeable which was surprising.  Heat from the chillies was probably somewhere between mild and medium from a curry house. I wouldn't add anymore to it but also wouldn't scrimp on them much either.
Definitely tasty but I think I will halve the cumin in future. Also would like to intensify the coconut - haven't worked out how to do that yet.

jaybel87 - This is  great! It tastes just like butter chicken! I used a can of coconut cream and it turned out perfectly!

foodgroupie - I've made this twice now, SO good. It's my fave....

monkeyboyzmum - I made the tikka paste as well. We have frozen it in ziplock bags - thanks for that suggestion.
I increased the chicken to 900g and put it on the stovetop while I used the TM to steam the rice, also wanted more vegetables in the meal so I added cauliflower, pumpkin and peas and lower fat - replaced 400ml of the cream with 400g light coconut milk. It was fabulous - great recipe - thanks for the inspiration.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:02:04 pm by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Re: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:49:49 am »
Thank you so much for these.  We love indian food in this house.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:56 am »
Mmmm mmmm, this is a favourite in our house.  I made the paste up today and made the butter chicken for dinner tonight, my 3yr old ds loves it so much he always has seconds!!
Emma from Victoria

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:39:46 pm »
This is a favourite in our house too, haven't made the tikka paste yet.

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:41:44 am »
Thanks for this recipe!  The Butter Chicken in the EDC is not very flavoursome, so hoping this is a winner!

Going to try it tonight.  How long do you marinate the chicken for?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:30 am »
The recipe doesn't actually say Clare but if you do that step first then go about the business of getting all the other ingredients you need ready, plus there are a few steps to the recipe before you put the chicken in - by then, it is marinated enough in my opinion although guess you could marinate it as long as you like really.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:44:53 am »
Yes same as Judy

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:54 pm »
Thanks. Thats what I ended up doing and it was really YUM! much better than the EDC recipe!

I was just checking as have seen recipes saying marinate for 3 hours. But I think it was strong and flavour-ey enough :)

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:03:20 am »
YAY!  Thanks CP.   :)

I have saved it to my laptop so I don't lose it.  I'll be putting it onto my next menu plan - can't wait to try it!

Offline Churchill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:21 am »
We had tried the Butter chicken from the EDC previously and it was pretty bland. This recipe was really easy to follow and SENSATIONAL! It will definitely made again... and again... and AGAIN!

Thanyou for the recipe!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:41 am »
If someone can PM me a photo when they make it, I will add to the recipe above.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Sig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:39 am »
is there any alternative to the dry onion?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:10:23 am »
is there any alternative to the dry onion?
I have been at a demo with Janie Turner when she was making the Tikka Paste and she said that dry onion is the best.She has tried it with ordinary onions and it doesn't work well.You could always email her at UK Thermomix
http://www.ukthermomix.com/images/topmidspace.jpg      

Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:12 pm »
Hi CreamPuff63 (have to say I love your name - does the 63 have any significance?)
I am of Indian descent so am very keen to try this recipe.  It looks pretty good.  I have never come across dry onions before so will have to hunt them out.  The only thing that appears to be missing are dried fenugreek leaves ... which adds a very authentic flavour.   I love using my pressure cooker for Indian food but I will have to give this recipe a go in the T.
I am having my Varoma demo in a couple of days and the consultant has promised to bring the Indian cookbook so looking forward to a browse, along with learning what else the T can do.
Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline ellie j

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 12:22:32 pm »
Yummo will be trying this out this week .. my kids loooove indian food .... :D