Author Topic: KFC Coating ...... revisited  (Read 195028 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 12:15:59 am »
Judy,  love it .  i should have consulted you first.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »
Or perhaps Kinder For Consuming  ;)  (meaning the food is kinder to our bodies).

I haven't tried this yet, but will soon. And the hamper idea is a great one!!  :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 02:03:55 pm »
MJ, did you remove the skin from your chicken pieces?

No, I didn't. I wasn't too particular about the fat content, just wanted the authentic flavour - we're 230km from the nearest KFC!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 02:11:34 pm »
Thanks MJ
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »
ILB,  love the idea.   I'm  going to try spraying with oil,  then baking in oven,  so that there is even less fat.

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 05:43:02 am »
This is a bit left field, but does anyone know if spelt flour work ok as a substitute for plain flour?   ???

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 10:42:15 am »
Spelt will work just as well! I often sub out some plain wheaten flour for spelt in my cooking.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 10:58:43 am »
Yes you can substitute spelt flour for plain wheat flour.  When baking with spelt flour you just need to be aware that it behaves a little differently to wheat.  You need to either reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by about 20% or add 20% extra flour to get the best results with spelt.  :)

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 12:39:46 pm »
Yes you can substitute spelt flour for plain wheat flour.  When baking with spelt flour you just need to be aware that it behaves a little differently to wheat.  You need to either reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by about 20% or add 20% extra flour to get the best results with spelt.  :)

Ah!  This is why my spelt banana cake turned out to be banana pudding instead (although it was still yummy with a bit of cream).  Thank you very much, I'll factor that into future recipes!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 04:04:00 pm »
I find I can sub out about 30% of the wheat from a cake recipe for spelt and it doesn't make a difference to the consistency of the cake.

With the KFC mix, I'd just coat the moistened chicken pieces with the dry spelt/spice mix, rather than make a lumpy batter. If you want a heavier coating, you can re-dip the floured pieces in the remaining buttermilk/yoghurt that it was marinating in and re-coat in the flour/spice mix.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »
I found the lumps made it more authentic. KFC batter is quite thick and lumpy (from what I have been told of course ;)).

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »
 :D :D :D Not that ANY of us would know...  ;)

I found the lumps made it more authentic. KFC batter is quite thick and lumpy (from what I have been told of course ;)).
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »
You still get lumps when you dip it into the flour!! Trust me! I like the lumps too.... ;)
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 02:18:35 pm »
This is absolutely delicious Chookie. We all loved it and will be making it again soon. Next time I will reduce the amount of the flour mix as I have lots left over & as it's had raw chicken in it will have to throw out the leftovers. If I'd been using my brain I would have put some aside before coating the chicken & just added extra as I needed it. I will also cook it on a rack in the oven to prevent the underside going soggy.  Oh well- live & learn.
Thanks for a great recipe Chookie
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 02:44:03 pm »
VHJ,  glad you liked it.  Rack in oven is a great idea.   On the way home from Melb. today stopped off and bought 1 piece of KFC,  just to taste the coating again ,  to see if it needed tweaking ;D ;D ;D  Was amazed at how fatty it was. Can't say I enjoyed it all that much.   What I did notice was a predominance of salt and pepper,  with a little 'herbs and spices'.  Think mine is OK but adjust to your liking.