Author Topic: Swedish Ice cream Cheese Cake.  (Read 93986 times)

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Swedish Ice cream Cheese Cake.
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:59:37 am »
I have been wondering why no one has mentioned this delightful Dessert.  Today Judy told me why.  It is on my Blog but I have not put it on the Forum.  Silly me. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))  The joy is that it can be made weeks ahead ,  as it is frozen.  It also travels well in its frozen state.  Just put it in the fridge for 1/2 an hour before you wish to serve it.   It is traditionally served with berries.  Serves about 8.
Swedish, Ice Cream Cheese Cake,
This is said to be low -fat!!!
It is a frozen dessert, and is handy because it can be made 2 weeks ahead, and kept in the freezer. An emergency, very nice dessert. Serve it with berries.

10 gingernut biscuits,
3 eggs, separated
150g caster sugar
250g low- fat cream cheese (you can use full fat cream cheese if you prefer)
1 teasp. vanilla
300mls. cream

Crush biscuits in TMX. ( not to powder, but small crumb.) Sprinkle on to base of a 23cm well buttered flan dish, (with removable base).
Clean out bowl thoroughly and whip egg whites , with butterfly, until stiff. Put aside.
Whip cream until stiff. Set aside.
With Butterfly still in whip on speed 3, egg yolks, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla until well mixed.
Stop machine, remove Butterfly, and with spatula fold in 1st. cream then egg whites.
Pour into shell and freeze over night

Members' comments
Marina - I found this on your blog and made it months ago, Chookie.  It was gorgeous (as you would expect with a recipe coming from you) and it didn't last long at all - in fact my guests asked to take the left overs home with them (unfortunately, as I had great plans for the left overs)!

JD - Thanks for this recipe Chookie.  I've made it today and it's in the freezer for Saturday's guests.  I didn't have a loose bottomed 23cm flan tin so used a ceramic one lined with one of those liners you gave me.  If it tastes half as good frozen as it does just freshly made, it will be a winner, delicious.  
Oh and I didn't have ginger biscuits but Chookie said I could use any sweet biscuit and add some ginger powder.  I had some biscuits I had made some time ago, still nice and crisp (heaven knows what they were!!) so used them and added 1/2 tsp ginger powder. Topped it with blueberries and raspberries and it's such a light dessert.
I made this today as a back-up dessert for Saturday if needed and I added a few calories by adding some butter to the homemade biscuit crumbs. I remembered last time not all the crumbs stuck so thought I would try 70g butter in the mix.

Uni - a very easy dessert and delicious. I used a 23cm spring form pan.
I made this again this morning and used 120 grams of sugar and 1 tbls of almond syrup. I also added 10 grams of finely crushed ginger nut biscuits with the cream cheese mixture &  also sprinkled some on top.  I whipped the egg whites and cream in separate bowls used the TM for the egg yolks, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla the transferred into a larger bowl and folded in the cream and egg whites.  I know more washing up for me.  The mixture looks so much lighter and more mixture , will do a taste test later on.
This recipe is so versatile, I've made a mango and a strawberry, both yum.  I just used jam but in future I'll be using coulis or a puree.
I make this without the crumb base so my DIL can also eat it. For the rest of us I place a few tablespoons of the crumbs on the plate then place the cake on top of it, I also do this with cheesecakes.
I've added butterscotch in the middle and some on top just b4 serving - big hit  in the restaurant tonight.
I've used mascarpone cheese instead of the cream cheese and a few tablespoons marsala, almond praline on top.

For those who don't like recipes with uncooked eggs in them, Uni has posted this recipe. She says it is actually creamier.
3 whole eggs, at 80o for 5 mins with the b/fly in place/speed 3
I let them cool down for a few  hours in the fridge, (not sure if this step is necessary)
whip cream set aside, no need to wash bowl.
add cold eggs in bowl, add sugar, whip for a min or so on speed 3
remove b/fly, add cream cheese and process until smooth. Add cream then fold in gently.

Chelsea - Mine was great (delicious actually) but next time I will buy a bigger dish. I used a smaller tin than recommended and ended up with a pile of biscuit crumbs in the bottom. I am tempted to add some melted butter to the biscuit crumbs for my next one. I love cheesecake base!

hools003 - I made this for dessert on Christmas night and it was really lovely! As we all do our little tweaks here and there, instead of gingernut biscuits I used gluten free rice cookies with a shake or 2 of ground Ginger as my Dad is coeliac. It was enjoyed by all. My Dad was very pleased as he thought he wouldn't be able to have it.

Dizzy Girl - this went down a treat last Sunday. I was sick so I didn't get to taste it, but it was all gone and rave reviews from all who tasted it. I put fresh blueberries on top, then drizzled with raspberry coulis.

Hally - We ate this last night, I made it for Christmas day but we were too full. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS , gone in one hit!!! Between the 4 of us.
Just made this again, doubled the recipe (did 1.5 quantity for the base), seemed to work fine. Just fitted into my 23cm spring form tin.

KarenH - This is an absolute favourite in our house - it keeps for ages in the freezer, wrapped in cling film, so we always have a yummy special dessert on hand for unexpected visitors, or just when DH and I feel like it.
Like others, I use single quantity of the base, but double the filling mixture.  I also use some of Tenina's berry lime coulis (For Foods Sake) to swirl through the top of the mixture before freezing.  Deeee-licious!!  Thanks Chookie.

Courton - This is a keeper, with everyone having seconds. Served it with cumquats in liquor... Yum.

Moo2 - Made this for dinner last night using fundj's suggestion to add crushed biscuits through the mix. Everyone loved it!  It was so quick and easy and the extra gingernut crunch was lovely. Its not too rich but is full of flavour. Will be making this again and again. Thank you Chookie and Fundj.

Delightful Den - I made this tonight by making a batch of gingernut biscuit and pressing the dough out into my flan pan.  I blind baked it keeping a careful eye on it to make sure I didn't over cook it.  I wanted it to be soft.
When I took it out of the oven I used the back of a wooden spoon to push it down and make it collapse. After it cooled  I made the filling and poured it into the pan.
My plan is to cut this up into nice small servings tomorrow and place 2 servings into a zip lock bag and re freeze.  This way we can have a little sweets after dinner without being tempted to go back for seconds.

Katiej - I'll be making this on the weekend, it's my DH favourite dessert. A great one to make around Xmas, as you can make it ahead of time and it's in the freezer for when you need it.

Emme - What a great recipe, will certainly be making another one for the freezer over Christmas.  Thank you so much, everyone enjoyed it.

Kimmyh - What a lovely dessert. Very nice and easy to make. Used granita biscuits and added some ground ginger and a little cinnamon. Thank you another great recipe to add to my collection.

CP - Everyone loved it. Couldn't take a pic cos we were entertaining. Sort of recipe that is to everyone's taste cos its not overpowering, and in between an ice cream and cheesecake.

kezza - I made this for dinner party last Saturday night and my friends all loved it.  I made it in a rectangular tin and had some mixture left over, so have popped that in the freezer.  I figure I can add that to a dessert as an ice-cream on the side.  I found it really easy being able to slice straight pieces.  I also made coulis - I did one with frozen mixed berries and put the mixture through a sieve to get rid of the pips.  Will be making this for Xmas Day too!

demak - Doubled the mix, not the crumbs and it looks fantastic, right up to the top of the spring form pan, so should be wonderful.  Serving with a choice of cherry coulis or a syrup made of my homemade fruit mince for that Christmas touch.  Thanks Chookie.

KathD11 - I made this for new years day lunch at my mums, followed the original recipe and served with blueberries and cream. Only about two slices left - ate almost the whole cake between 5 oops.

Courton - I also made it for dinner recently and served it with raspberry coulis and cashew clusters from Costco which I chopped roughly in the TMX. 5/5 again from us. BTW, those cashew clusters ( essentially raw cashews in toffee) are so delicious!

GF - I made this for the first time last night . .it's been a great hit here!!  Thanks again, Chookie!!  A really great, easy, and practical (given that it can travel so well and can be done so far in advance) dessert!!

maddy - Mmmm....loved it as is, with the crushed gingernut....so creamy. Stirred through 1/2 cup gingernut biccies through filling, & topped with some more.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:18:48 am by judydawn »

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Swedish Ice cream Cheese Cake.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:45:12 am »
my kind of recipe, can normal cream cheese be used ?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:45:52 am »
I found this on your blog and made it months ago, Chookie.  It was gorgeous (as you would expect with a recipe coming from you) and it didn't last long at all - in fact my guests asked to take the left overs home with them (unfortunately, as I had great plans for the left overs)!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:52:01 am »
Fundj,  any cream cheese will do.  I used some cheap Coles brand and it still tasted great.

marina , so glad you liked it.  Pretty easy to make.  Did you serve it with berries?

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:05:02 am »
Yes, I used my favourite blueberries from an organic grower called Moondarra, I think are based over Moe way somewhere (in Victoria) - if you ever see their berries on sale grab them, they are consistently gorgeous.  If I were to make this during the organic raspberry season, I would use them instead.  I absolutely adore organic raspberries, but they are horrendously expensive and their season is so short (perhaps that's as well for my wallet) - you just have to take advantage of them while they are around and give yourself a taste sensation.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:46:30 am »
Will do,  however we grow both Blueberries and Raspberries,  but we are often in Tassie, to watch the end of the Sydney to Hobart when they are at their peak. :-)) :-)) :-))  The Taste of Tasmania is on while we are there and berries feature as part of the local produce. Other than birds and grandchildren, Raspberries and Blueberries don't have many pests. so don't need spraying,  so therefore most should be Organic.  Strawberries are another matter.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 07:07:06 am »
Thanks for this recipe Chookie.  I have made it today and it is in the freezer for Saturday's guests.  I didn't have a loose bottomed 23cm flan tin so used a ceramic one lined with one of those liners you gave me.  If it tastes half as good frozen as it does just freshly made, it will be a winner, delicious.  

Oh and I didn't have ginger biscuits but Chookie said I could use any sweet biscuit and add some ginger powder.  I had some biscuits I had made some time ago, still nice and crisp (heaven knows what they were!!) so used them and added 1/2 tsp ginger powder.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:46:10 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:27:06 am »
It WILL be a winner, Judy, trust me :P

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:40:47 am »
Sounds lovely Chookie, on the To Do list.  ;D

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:19:58 am »
Thanks Chookie, I am a fan of anything you can do in advance :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:22 am »
On my list for next week

It sounds divine

Thanks again chookie.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 03:19:13 am »
in the freezer now. oh boy did i struggle with the cream today, it took 3 times and still was not right, i am sure it will be ok  :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 06:08:25 am »
Was it too fresh Uni?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 06:59:10 am »
way 2 fresh Judy

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:16:49 pm »
thanks achookwoman

a very easy dessert and delicious  ;D