Author Topic: Quicker than a Packet Cake  (Read 54984 times)

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
Quicker than a Packet Cake
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:09 pm »
This was my Grans recipe and when we were kids on the farm my mum made this cake a couple of times a week with our own cream and eggs, I make it now for my family.  I buy cream on special and freeze it

Ingredients
2 eggs
120g cream
(the original recipe was break 2 eggs into a cup and fill cup with cream)
125g S.R flour
160g Castor sugar
vanilla essence

Variation
Banana cake add over ripe bannan as and a handful of walnuts. Beat for about 10 seconds longer
Chocolate cake add 30g cocoa and 1 tsp coffee use a Little less flour
Apple Tea cake slice apple place on base of cake tin, sprinkle with brown sugar spread batter over top.
Patty cakes (muffins) just cook in muffin tin or patty papers.
Lemon or Orange cake. Place Zest of fruit in TM  first with sugar and pulverise for 20 seconds on speed 9. Use juice in icing.  
I have used this mixture for lamingtons.
Coconut Cake omit 1/4 cup of flour and replace with coconut.
If you don't have cream melt 60g butter in microwave and fill cup with milk.

Method
Preheat oven to 180 deg. Put all ingredient in TM and mix for 30 seconds on speed 5.
Pour into cake tin and bake in centre of preheated oven for 25 - 30 min. Ice with chocolate icing sprinkle with coconut

Photo is with frozen berries, added last,  Sprinkled with icing sugar.

I've made a double batch, added white chocolate and macadamia nuts to half and frozen berries and white chocolate to the other half and turned out yummy muffins.

members' comments

CP - this cake was made quicker than a packet cake and into the oven in no time! Looks and smells great.

Dublin Girl in Oz - Made this yesterday and added some orange rind - then topped with icing made with icing sugar and orange juice - a hit!  Empty plate my last night!  I used the cream. Thanks for the recipe.

KerrynN - I doubled the recipe and it yielded 23 medium patty cake papers. I replaced 60g of flour with cocoa, used 200g of castor sugar and an extra 70g of vanilla sugar, left out the vanilla essence. Added about 80g of frozen blueberries after mixing was finished and then mixed on reverse, sp 4 for 10 seconds. Will sprinkle with icing sugar when I can drag myself back to kitchen to whiz some more. Great recipe!

Nik2WIN -  it was great - kids loved it, looked brilliant, everyone happy.  Then I passed the recipe on to someone else and they asked what sort of cream? I used double because it's all I have in the house but should I have used single cream? What's the translation of double and single cream?  I know you can't whip single cream but we also have something called whipping cream here??

AnneUK -  just wanted to say it was fantastic. I only had raw (rapadura) sugar so I whizzed it for a few seconds longer. Also used melted butter and milk. Oh, and my D is GF so I used Doves Farm GF flour. I was worried by how liquid the mix was but watched in awe as it rose and rose, turning golden brown. I sprinkled it with TMX icing sugar and watched as the whole thing was wolfed down in seconds! Strongly recommended!

kezza - Made apple tea cake yesterday with butter and milk and it's all gone! Orange cake with butter and milk in oven now. The apple tea cake reminded me so much of the cake my mum used to make. Lovely quick recipe.

LellyJ - It's true, it is really quick.  I was out of lunch box snacks and had virtually no ingredients in the cupboard so I made this cake in the time it would have taken to drive to the local shop (which isn't very far away!).  I blitzed a bit of lemon rind with the sugar, then used the butter and milk option and poured on a mix of white sugar and lemon juice while the cake was still hot from the oven.  Was worried about how liquid the mix was until I read an earlier post and it certainly worked out fine!  The only problem is my big boys ate half of it this evening (okay, I helped!) so I don't know how much will be left for tomorrow . Thanks for sharing!

Meagan - OMG this recipe is fantastic!!! I made them as plain cupcakes with choc frosting. My Girlfriend had one today (next day) said they were the best cupcakes she had ever had! And she is a connoisseur they were also a hit with the kids and DH. Thanks Berringamababe.

maddy - They are yummy!  Very sponge like in texture too. I added a generous tsp. of vanilla bean paste to the mix. I also used a apple corer to gently twist out the centre, popped in some raspberry jam, and put the lid back on and iced with creamy vanilla frosting and topped with maraschino cherries. I baked them in large baking cups, so that made 7.  They were cooked for 18 minutes.
Next time I will double up the recipe, so we can scoff down some more. Thanks for posting.....a keeper.

CC - Made the Apple version of this today, really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe.

Huon 100 - Thank you so much it was lovely very light and tasty.  I made the vanilla version with vanilla bean and it was absolutely delicious.  I can see how it could be modified with fruit, I may try mango next time.  Thank you again for posting recipe.

Uni - was a big hit, thanks for posting.
Somebody stop me, an apple one today, apple on the bottom and top and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.

Nay-nay - Such a good little recipe! I made double mix and made the lamington version - They were lovely (made 24).

KarenH -  how quick, easy, versatile and YUMMY it is!  This morning made the orange cake version and also the apple cake version to take to work.

Obbie - It works well. Thank you.

Wonder - Made this today to practice my cupcake making and thanks to Maddy's excellent tuition I've finally got it. I also made the I Love Bimby chocolate mixture and frosting recipe. DD was trying to outsmart me with the decoration but I think my roses are much better!

Chookie - 1/2 recipe of Quicker than a packet cake, 12 minutes in Air fryer,  in coffee cups.
Chocolate chip and blackberries dropped on top.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:06:38 am by judydawn »

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Re: Qiucker then a Packet Cake
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:33:47 pm »
Thankyou. Looks great. Just up my alley - easy and quick.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »
Now that is one versatile recipe  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline willmac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:32:18 pm »
I use this recipe all the time for my cup cakes, never thought to use it for lamingtons. Now can someone tell me how to make the choc sauce for lamingtons.

Kay

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 03:51:21 pm »
This was the sauce isi posted with a recipe for lamingtons a while back.

260g icing sugar
60g cocoa powder
40g margarine
90g milk
Place all ingredients into the TMX bowl and cook for 6 minutes/90ospeed 4.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline willmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:30:43 pm »
Thank you Judydawn, guess what I am making in the morning........YUMMO

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »
I love all these older tested recipes, thanks berringamababe.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quicker then a Packet Cake
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:53:29 am »
I have used this recipe for cup cakes too. Got it from another site.Silly me never thought to put it all in the TMX. Thanks for the variations too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:04:41 am »
did someone say lamingtons? this cake was made quicker than a packet cake and into the oven in no time! looks and smells great. lami's tomorrow... thank you for posting an old favourite of yours  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 10:51:38 am »
Good old gran - great recipe.  Like the idea of melted butter and milk in place of the cream  :-* :-*  It is so simple.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:44 pm »
Definitely got to try this one! I love shortcuts. Thanks! :-*
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 01:24:07 pm »
Made this yesterday and added some orange rind - then topped with icing made with icing sugar and orange juice - a hit!  Empty plate my last night!  p.s. I used the cream.

Thanks for the recipe.

Sylvia
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 09:55:03 am »
Made these for DS to take to school tomorrow (first day!) to celebrate his birthday - seriously this is the most celebrated birthday, with these the fourth "birthday" cake(s) I've made for this birthday.

I doubled the recipe and it yielded 23 medium patty cake papers. I replaced 60g of flour with cocoa, used 200g of castor sugar and an extra 70g of vanilla sugar, left out the vanilla essence. Added about 80g of frozen blueberries after mixing was finished and then mixed on reverse, sp 4 for 10 seconds. Will sprinkle with icing sugar when I can drag myself back to kitchen to whiz some more.

Great recipe!
Kerryn

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »
That cake looks so quick its almost rude!   ;D ;D

Gonna give this a go in the next couple of days (bit too short of eggs to do it tonight!)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:17:26 pm »
OK, tried this out today and it was great - kids loved it, looked brill, everyone happy.  Then I passed the recipe on to someone else and they asked what sort of cream?

I used double because its all I have in the house but should I have used single cream?

What's the translation of double and single cream?  I know you can't whip single cream but we also have something called whipping cream here??

Help?

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010