Author Topic: Steaming cakes?  (Read 18941 times)

Offline PTK

• View Profile
Steaming cakes?
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:18 am »
At my varoma demo the other day my consultant steamed some puddings and used silicone cup cake moulds. She said you can also steam the $4 Mud cake. How long would it take and also would it still ok with paper patty pan cases?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:06:41 am by judydawn »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Steaming cakes?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:58 am »
PTK, I'm not an authority on steaming cakes,   but i think that paper patty pans would collapse,  unless you put them in some form of holder.   Little ceramic dishes or even tea cups.  I looked up my book on steaming,'STEAMING',  by Brigid Treloar,  and she has a recipe for a Chinese , lemon, date and walnut cake, cooked in a 9 inch pan and she only steams it for 15 mins.   I would have thought it would take a bit longer.   She also has a recipe for mini Xmas puddings,  and these take 1 hour.   There are people on the Forum with more experience than me in steaming cakes,  and i am sure they will help.

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:18:57 am »
As Xmas in July is coming up, does anyone have a recipe for a LIGHT pudding, either indiviidual or whole pudding that you could make in the Varoma?  I'd like to give this a go, as I have not used my Varoma very much apart from the black and white cheesecake and general steaming of vegies.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:49:32 am »
Hi Kezza,
I tried paper patty papers - it doesn't work!!! They spread out. I made little Christmas puddings last year in ceramic ramekins - they took about 40 mins I think.  the recipe is in the Christmas cook-booklet, which you could get from your consultant.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:24:05 pm »
Kezza,  I posted a recipe for a Xmas pud.  It has grated carrot in it and everyone loves it.   You could make a 1/4 of the recipe and pop it into a oven bag (the ones used for roasting), tied into a round shape and steam it in the bottom of the varoma.  Probably for 1 hour.  There is also one in the book I have already recommended.   for mini christmas puds.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:46:16 pm »
There is a Sago Plum Pudding in the Gluten free book, apart from it having gluten free breadcrumbs which you could replace with any bread, it is just a normal recipe. Page 64.  I love sago pudding at Christmas time but haven't tried this one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:00:54 am »
The Christmas puddings in the Festive book are lovely. I cooked them in metal dariole moulds.

I love the steam cakes you buy in Singapore. Do you think an ordinary cake cooked in little moulds in the VAroma would be similar? I must try it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:21:38 am »
Welocme PTK The silicon cups may be part of the new Varoma demo that we can't talk about.  There may well be steamed cakes/puddings on the menu that we can't talk about.

I have steamed cakes and puds in plastic Dariole moulds and usually about the same time as if they went into an oven BUT with timing from when the Varoma temp is reached !!!

I have made souffles in the Varoma too.  You can fashion patty pan holder to fit the Varoma, but it is a pain.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:36:42 am »
Welcome PTK
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 07:48:33 am »
Welcome PTK

Ditto!

Thanks for the idea, I'm going to make mini steamed jam puddings for dessert tonight!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:51:36 am »
If you're having custard with them MJ I'm on my way. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 01:15:32 pm »
Yes, I was planning to have custard with them, but they didn't work well....

I placed some baking paper over the top of them to stop too much moisture, but even though they appeared cooked, they tasted raw.

I'm going to re-heat in microwave to see if they cook a bit more.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:18:43 pm »
You don't need the baking paper MJ, they work just fine. Come out looking a little moist just like the varoma bread but perfectly fine. Made them  again the other night with golden syrup and custard - oh yum and where is the gym again??  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 11:37:57 am »
Thanks for the ideas everyone.  How many can you make at a time?  Working out quantities is still a challenge for me!!!  The little jam puddings sound nice.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:27:03 pm »
You can really only fit four if you're using a mould the size of a cup. Dariole moulds are much smaller and you could probably fit six.

I'll try again without the paper....
The Bush Gourmand