Author Topic: Homemade Milo (GF DF)  (Read 122732 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Homemade Milo (GF DF)
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:04 pm »
Name of Recipe: Homemade Milo (GF DF)
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons linseeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons pepitas
1/3 cup almonds
1/4 cup brazil nuts
1/4 cup cashews
1/4 cup pecan nuts
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup rapadurra

Preparation:
Start by grinding linseeds and sesame seeds into a fine powder - speed 9 approx 20 seconds.

Place everything else except the cocoa powder and rapadurra in the bowl and blend on speed 9 for 5-10 seconds, checking and scraping down until a fine powder.  Don't blend too far as you don't want paste.

Add cocoa powder and rapadurra and mix through, about speed 7 for 3 seconds, checking and scraping.  I helped mine with the spatula a little.  Taste a little as more sugar can be added if necessary.

Use exactly like milo.  This recipe filled my 450g Milo tin so it does make a lot.  Keep in the fridge for about 2 months.

Tips/Hints:
The texture is exactly like milo, with a very fine crunch.  It is a much darker brown, and has a deeper chocolate flavour so may need a little more/less than original milo usage.

A few suggestions for using it.  

- Sprinkled over ice-cream or chopped fresh fruit
- In custard instead of cocoa, adding great nutritional value
- Blend up fresh banana and milo for chocolate banana custard
- or frozen banana for chocolate ice-cream
- mixed in yoghurt
- sprinkled over cereal or porridge in lieu of cocoa pops
- add to pikelet/pancake mixture before cooking for chocolate pikelets

Nutrition
I combined two recipes and added the cocoa and sugar myself to create Milo.  The source of the original two recipes has some useful information as follows.

The ground nut combination offers complete protein, a good dose of antioxidants and many other vitamins and minerals.  Great for children who are underweight, have a poor appetite or are fussy about eating protein.

The seed combination is like a food multi-vitamin as they are rich in all of the macronutrients and most of the vitamins and minerals a child needs to grow and blossom.

If you leave out the cocoa and sugar, you have a fantastic "booster" for any recipe as the nut/seed mix is quite flavourless by itself.  It does change the texture of some things quite a bit (eg yoghurt) so don't get too heavy handed.

Stir a teaspoon through porridge, homemade dip, mix with ricotta, cottage cheese or jam.  Mix through breakfast cereal or yoghurt, add into milkshakes or smoothies.  Add to any bread, cake, muffin, scone, pancake etc.

Inspired by "Feeding Fussy Kids" by Julie Maree Wood.  Delicious Nutritious Recipes and Clever Ideas to Encourage Picky Eaters.  Highly recommend having a look at this book - the nutritional information is great. Julie is a naturopath and nutritionist in Sydney.

members' comments

quirkycooking - Wow, this is great. I ground mine for longer and I think next time I'll probably try grinding the linseeds & sesame seeds first til really fine then add the other seeds & nuts... the little seeds weren't ground quite enough.  I made the kids a drink with it by putting 6 tsps (or so) of the 'milo' into the TMX, adding a handful of raw cashews and two cups of water (or so) - grind sp 9 for 1 minute and pour into cups with ice - they loved it!  I made mine hot with rice-almond milk - tasted good, especially the sludge!! Thanks Cathy.

ILB - I must admit I was a bit sus on the recipe and how it would hold up in a drink as DD is reasonably hooked on milo at the moment.  BUT as I sit her typing I'm actually sipping a hot cup of homemade milo and quiet impressed. A little gritty and finding myself chewing as I drink, only because I keep stirring it. I did actually grind the nuts for 30 seconds until I nearly had a paste but it powdered up nicely when the cocoa and rapadura sugar were added.

chelsea has posted a recipe for bread & butter pudding using this recipe - on page 1.

riv mum -  Kids love it! I added a little extra sugar to sweeten it to their taste and used a random combination of nuts from the pantry.

Jules - my verdict on the recipe - very tasty - and a good substitute for milo.

zebraa - it is really fabulous Cathy! Thank you. I used raw sugar b/c I didn't have rapadura and found it a bit sweet. Next time will blitz the sugar first so can use less (sweeter as it dissolves better) and use 1/3 c sugar and add some stevia to make it healthier. I'll also make a 1/2 batch (unless of course I am giving some away which I am sure I will be as this is so good).

em - on first taste I wasn't sure if I liked or not ! then I mixed it with milk  and it is sooo yummy.

Meagan - I love it by the spoonful.

chrisford - it's a bit too sweet for me - next time I might put 3/4 cup sugar instead of a cup. But what a great recipe, the kids LOVE it and I'm thinking it's going to be great for them at afternoon tea just to get some extra nutrition in before their squad swimming.

bigTcup - This is fantastic & the kids LOVE it!!  

jsthermie - it was so yummy that I on my own, went through it in less than 2 weeks!

sue h - The verdict -  DH loves the homemade milo and I even reduced the sugar a little. My kids and their friends love it to. Thanks for a great recipe.

Vivaroo - I made a small batch and I liked it, my son didn't first time but tried it again and likes it now.

Amy - AMAZING. It's homemade milo!!

Tasty - YUMMO!! Not quite the same in a glass of cold milk however great by the spoonful!

cottchick - Well I have just made my first batch (half a batch due to my lack of faith) and it is absolutely amazing!! WOW!! I would say it even 'dissolves' better than milo.

Jad posted an alternative recipe on page 6.

Chookie - Fab and thanks to all who have made it and made suggestions.  I used the best Dutch Cocoa and Xylitol.  Tested it in a mug of hot milk.  I don't know what I did different but not gritty at all.  I am now going to make CP's biscuits and Chelsea's nutty Milo Slice.  Thanks a million.

KerrynN - Just finished our first batch in a THX milkshake, so have restocked the fridge with a fresher batch. Yum!

classmyth - I wasn't as happy with the result as I expected to be. I mixed it with cold milk, and it simply sank to the bottom, so it felt like drinking a glass of plain milk with a very sweet solid chaser. I will try it again tonight with hot milk. I can see it will be nice sprinkled on ice-cream and in baking, so all is not lost.

Debbiebillg - Cyndi O'meara version http://changinghabits.com.au/recipes-1/home-made-milo

rejit - I like it! Made it as a warm drink first, it tasted nice but was a big gritty. Then I 'cleaned' the bowl (leaving some milo in) with milk for a yummy cold drink. Niss c loved it (she's never had a 'chocolate' milkshake before. Will be trying it in the slice next :-)

Bootobethin - This "Milo" is great. I often have it for breakfast. I prefer it in cold milk rather than warm.

Jamberie -  I think it will be a great breakfast for me and healthy snack for DD. I think it tastes very much like Aktavite more than Milo but is still super yum.

Use this recipe in Chelsea's Nutty Milo Slice
or CP's Milo Biscuits.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:11:06 pm by judydawn »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Homemade Milo (GF DF)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »
Tonight I'm going to mix some more cocoa through.  When mixed into the milk, it's a bit sweet and stays white.  Will update with additional cocoa once tested tonight.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:31:49 am »
Thanks very much CB79 - great idea and so easy to make  :-* :-* :-*  I haven't had Milo in years, but might have to give it a go on ice cream like the old days.  :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:39:45 am »
I ended up not adding more cocoa.  It was DH that said it wasn't chocolatey enough, and since he's not the target audience, it doesn't really count  ;).  My girls are loving it, and that was the aim - they're getting extra protein etc in a form that they will accept.

When DH and I feel like a Milo on a cold day, we just add in some extra cocoa.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:36:03 am »
Thanks for the update Cathy.  I have been waiting to see what you thought about the cocoa.  Will have to give it a go.  I wonder if cacoa powder would give a similar result.  Worth a try. Yum!!!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:24:16 am »
Wow, this is great Cathy!!!  I LOVE you  :-* :-* :-* and my kids will love you too!!!  They miss milo so much :'( and this will make them very happy!  ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:53:21 am »
I'm in the process of finishing off my cocoa powder, and will be switching to cacao, at least for things like this where the point is nutrients.

Looking forward to hearing how you like it.  Obviously it doesn't dissolve in quite the same way as milo, but the "sludge" is delicious!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:05:40 am »
I was flicking through the new edition of Better Homes last night and found this Milo recipe.  I'm not a huge Milo fan, but will post it here incase anyone else is interested. I have roughly converted it (not to grams though).

Choc-Fruit Bread and Butter Pudding

Preheat oven to 160o.
Cut 4 thick slices of fruit bread into triangles and put in an ovenproof dish (doesn't say if it is greased).
Put 1/2 cup Milo, 2 eggs, 2 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 & 1/4 cups milk into TMX bowl and whisk 20 seconds speed 4.
Pour milo mixture over bread.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup additional Milo over top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pudding is set.
Stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:41:55 am »
Sounds like a nice variation on traditional bread and butter pudding.  Thanks Chelsea

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 04:49:27 am »
Normally you butter the bread ? so if not I'd grease the pie dish.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 06:40:56 am »
I just made this and the kids like it - yay!  I ground mine for longer, and I think next time I'll probably try grinding the linseeds & sesame seeds first til really fine, then add the other seeds & nuts... the little seeds weren't ground quite enough.  I made the kids a drink with it by putting 6 tsps (or so) of the 'milo' into the TMX, adding a handful of raw cashews, and two cups of water (or so) - grind sp 9 for 1 minute and pour into cups with ice - they loved it!  I made mine hot, with rice-almond milk - tasted good, especially the sludge!! Thanks Cathy  :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:43:11 am by quirkycooking »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:29:31 am »
Glad you like it Jo. 

And if you're busy, they can keep it simple and help themselves - just mix the milo into the milk.  My girls love making it themselves, especially love getting the lid off the tin.  They feel so proud doing it themselves.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:19:11 am »
Normally you butter the bread ? so if not I'd grease the pie dish.

I did wonder about the butter part of "bread and butter pudding".  Probably wouldn't hurt to spread a little butter on.  ;)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 02:39:46 am »
Jo, I made my second batch today and incorporated your suggestions.  I've amended original recipe.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 11:24:03 pm »
This is one recipe that I wouldn't have to fell guilty for when sprinking over icecream  ;) :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog