Author Topic: Cottage Rolls  (Read 47246 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: Cottage Rolls
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 06:00:54 am »
These were a hit at the kids party today - and just perfect straight from the freezer into the oven.  Thanks!  :-*
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 06:52:50 am »
Got the grand-children coming for a sleepover tonight and I had some filo pastry that needed using so did 1/2 quantity of these rolls. Didn't have enough (and couldn't find any in the shop  >:( ) of the pecans so substituted walnuts.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 07:13:06 am »
They look great Judy, Bet they wont last long with the Grandkids. How many grand children do you have?
My mum has 10 (half of them from me alone)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 08:48:51 am »
I only have 2 Mandi, Geoff has 3 so 5 all up - not many at all compared to what some people have.  I was beginning to think I wasn't going to have any as my DD2 was married 10 years before telling me the good news. DD1 is childless, her choice and Geoff's are in the country so we don't see much of them.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 09:53:31 am »
my dear Mum has 9 (5 of which are mine) and she is about to become a Great Grandmother any day (we are all very excited btw lol)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:20 am »
Oh how exciting for her. When my oldest Son was born My great grandmother was still alive so she become a Great Great Grandmother and she was even more excited that he was actually born on her 85th Birthday. She then end up having several Great Great Grandchildren before she passed away 7 years ago.
I remember when my DD was 4 she thought that being a Great Grandmother must mean you a really really nice (Great)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2011, 05:22:51 am »
Only have one carrot, so this time have less carrot and  more zucchini (one big size).  Run out of breadcrumb as well, so decided to use WeetBix.  Will report the result.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 08:01:20 am »
Turn out nice with WeetBix instead of bread crumb, and more zucchini and less carrot.

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »
I made these this morning - they were so quick and easy but the best part is, I didn't mention anything about the fact they were vegetarian, and everyone assumed they were sausage rolls! The whole family raved about them and have requested them for next time. I don't want to say they're just veggie in case they won't like them! Oh well, am stoked that everyone loved them - thanks for the recipe!!!

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 04:31:17 am »
I made these and had them in the freezer for emergencies.  Just finished the last lot yesterday so I'll need to make more.

What I really liked was even though they had puff pastry around them, you didn't feel like you were eating junk food aka greasy food.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it!  I made another batch today, run out of pecan and using macadamia.  Work out really well.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2011, 03:52:22 am »
I made a half batch of these yesterday and had to subsitute a combination of walnuts and hazelnets for the pecan's, and used a mix of ricotta and feta for the cottage cheese (similar to Cyndi's), I'm not sure if my tweeks changed the recipe fundamently but we are not fan and I'm afraid the majority are going to end up in the bin :'(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2011, 04:01:28 am »
Pity you hadn't tasted the recipe version as is Wonder then you would know the answer to this question.  I substituted walnuts for most of the pecans in my last lot and didn't notice the difference but that was the only change I made.  We love them in this house.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:06 pm »
That's a shame, Wonder.  Perhaps one day you might decide to try again when you have all the ingredients handy and hopefully you will change your mind.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:46 am »
Lovely  :)  much prefer these compared to  Cyndi's vegetarian ones.

I made a 1/2 batch, still added 2 Tbsp. soy (ketjap manis), 1 garlic clove, and used fresh ricotta that I had made earlier today.

Next time I will chop the nuts in first with the onion/carrot/zucchini, as they weren't chopped enough when added with the rest of ingredients.
Also might try using sweet chili sauce instead of soy as an alternative option for next time.
.........EAT CAKE!