Author Topic: TMX - Energy Efficient - Keeping everyday costs down.  (Read 26266 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: TMX - Energy Efficient - Keeping everyday costs down.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:22:57 am »
I am usually 99% right (although that seems to be sliding the older I get :( :() and DH surprises us all by being right the rest of the time ;D ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 03:51:54 am »
Judy, I'll get back to you with the costs. I'll try and remember to do it on Mon when I'm home alone and I'll run it in several scenarios and make a note of what it costs.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 04:16:11 am »
Cathy don't put yourself out, I thought you may have already done the sums for your own info.  You can find better things to do with your time when you have the house to yourself than run in and out to the meter doing costings for me :D :D :D :D

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 02:06:58 am »
I haven't actually got around to it. It's not hard to do. Turn it on, look at what the numbers change to on the monitor LOL.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 10:12:18 pm »
Thanks for this info Nay-nay... but I have a couple of questions.. Forgive me, I'm new to the forum and I don't know... what is a "GL"? You refer to your "GL" in the beginning of this post... and I'm just wondering... Is this secret forum language? Or maybe... secret Aussie language???

Also, I am trying to get more info about the energy efficient aspects of the Thermomix so I can pass this on to my blog readers in Canada who are most interested in all things "green". I wanted to verify what you said about Hydro Tasmania's display. Do you know this for certain? Have you seen it, or do you work at the hydro office by chance? I would like to say that Hydro Tasmania uses TM as an example, but I need to be sure... I went to the Hydro Tasmania website but there is nothing there about this, so it must be a display in the office itself and/or I want to be sure this isn't just a 'rumour'.

Any more info you can provide about this would be helpful... if you have time... ;)

Or, if anyone else has any first-hand examples beyond the usual, of how 'green' the TM is, I'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks to all!

Cheers from Victoria, Canada,
TMB!
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 11:55:08 pm »
The TM uses 500w max for motor and up to 1000w for heating. I had 2 clients use their meters to test this while I demo'd and the max it got to was 1100w when cooking the risotto. Obviously you won't be using the motor at speed 10 while cooking at 100degrees so it will generally use a lot less than the max 1500w total.
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 12:58:50 am »
Thank you Sundari - this is helpful.

You have clients with meters :o   Wow, you Aussies as so very advanced! Here, we have fire and sticks, oh yes, I heard some talk about a thing called "the wheel" the other day while washing my hair down at the riverbank...

But seriously,  ;)   I suppose the next task at hand is to compare these numbers against the ones used by other (similar?) appliances. I will try to find how much a toaster oven uses, and an electric frying pan, and a regular oven and... and... and...

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. If you have clients with meters you must very busy and all joking aside,  I do appreciate your response.

Cheers,
TMB
ThermomixBlogger Helene

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 01:05:23 am »
Thanks for this info Nay-nay... but I have a couple of questions.. Forgive me, I'm new to the forum and I don't know... what is a "GL"? You refer to your "GL" in the beginning of this post... and I'm just wondering... Is this secret forum language? Or maybe... secret Aussie language???

GL means group leader Helene.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 01:13:07 am »
I got the info from my GL (Group Leader) to put in a folder that consultants take to their cooking demo's with press releases etc included in it. My GL later said NOT to print it out as it was a draft and would send another through and I've not not heard anything else about it. I am not from Tasmania but Sunny Queensland so can not say I have 'seen' it at Hydro Tasmania. But I can tell you our consultant's manual says:
Under heating System Heading
"Fast heating system with low power consumption 1000W"
Under Connected Load
"Maximum capscity consumption 1500W"
Under Environmental Benefits
"The reluctance motor and advance heating system in the TM bowl work together to minimise the time required to cook foods. heat is controlled at a constant temperature and with the sealed lid there is less energy escape."
"The TM31 consumes only the amount of energy that is needed to reach and keep the preset temperature level. An stovetop, for example, keeps on supplying energy even when the water is already at boiling point unless you reduce the setting manually. The TM31 detects when the preset value is reached and reduces the heating power automatically thus saving energy."
Using only one pot also reduces requirement for multiple pots and pans on the stove."
"Using fresh natural ingredients means purchasing less pre-packaged foods reducing unnecessary waste."
"Using less pots and pans also means less dishes! Saves time and saves water! The TM uses around 600ml of water to 'wash itself' and then with a quick rinse it's done!"
TMX uses about 500W for cold preparations and 1000W for heat whereas a normal stove top is 1500-2000W
Maybe someone from Tassie could confirm the Hydro Tasmania claim???I'm pretty sure we have a few.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 01:20:15 am »
Has anyone on QLD taken advantage of the Climate Smart scheme? http://www.climatesmarthome.com/

We have one of the wireless energy monitors (dh bought one just before the scheme started, which is annoying coz it cost over $200! He's a sparky though, so tax deductible LOL). It shows how much an hour it costs to run your household appliances etc. When we first got it, we turned off every single thing to get a 0 reading and then turned things on one by one to work out how much per hour each thing cost to run. We figured how much money we waste leaving everything on standby. It was a really interesting exercise.

We also did this some time ago and itis quite scary. I had to put the monitor out of sight when it got to over $500 in usage for one quarter. Now I only put it back in the kitchen to prove a point.  It is hard to separate the TMX usage as we have to have the pool pump on at least 7 hours a day. I say for the amount of time it is on it is much more efficient than the microwave.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 03:02:08 am »
Oh my Nay-nay! Thank you so very much for your very thorough response. Truly, I am full of humble gratitude  :-[  for the time you took to type in all that info. I will look over all these numbers again later because at this very moment I am at the computer with soup bowl in hand, eating the leftover Curried Pumpkin soup from my Thermomix experiment the other night. On a chilly fall evening, this soup really warms me up, but still, not as much as all the heartwarming responses from you sun-baked lot in Ozzieland. Thanks so much to everyone, I am touched by your generosity of spirit.

I will be even more touched though, when Gretchen invites me to come for a swim in her POOL ( :o ). My goodness Gretchen, you really must be quite the movie star 8) up there in Cairns. Here, we don't have pool pumps unless we are rich and famous. Do you know what I have? I have a garden hose! That is the extent of my refreshing back yard... a green hose with water in it!  I am so very, very, jealous.

Thanks all,
TMB
ThermomixBlogger Helene

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 03:18:19 am »
And an automatic watering system. Nah don't be envious. It all cost a motza to run but we had to move from Sydney to Cairns because we were asset rich and money poor. We live on a pension and just manage to keep us  fed  and watered with in a  decent bottle of wine for the moment. Our power bill is astro but then again you must pay a lot for your heating.

It is more common than not to have a pool in Cairns  because we cannot swim in the ocean for much of the year due to stingers and irukandji which are deadly jellyfish like critters.  We try to cut down on airconditioning and sometimes have to jump out of bed to get in the pool at 0200 because we can't sleep, grabbing a beer from the pool fridge on the way. Ok you can be jealous now.

I guess you would not need to use your hose much in the winter as it would be buried under the snow! Do you ski?

Cheers,
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 08:04:38 am »
Gretchen I had to chuckle at your getting up at 2 am and going into the pool. We tended to do the same before we shifted. (no longer have a pool). If anyone had decided to rob us at 2am they would have seen the terrifying sight of naked people in the pool and then the same wandering back to bed. What a frightening sight it would have been.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 08:10:46 am »
Oh Cookie1, you devil you.  Have to confess to doing it myself once - only way to go if you get the chance. ;D ;D ;D :-)) :-)) :-)) :P :P :P

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 08:23:23 am »
Pretty safe at 2am. DH said if anyone saw they would run a mile.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/