Author Topic: Porridge....what did I do wrong  (Read 13073 times)

stacelee

Porridge....what did I do wrong
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:22:52 am »
Hi Guys,

Got my thermomix last night.  I tried to make porridge as per the recipe book but it was a disaster, lukewarm and not fully cooked.  My husband is now teasing me about my expensive piece of junk.  Before divorce results, does anyone have any ideas as to what I did wrong.  The only thing that I can think of is that I used milk straight out of the fridge and maybe it should have been warmed to room temp.  I used full milk...no water.  The other problem I had was that it stuck to the bottom of the jug.  Should I have taken the oats out...added the milk and then put the oats back in....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Stacey

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Porridge....what did I do wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:37:30 am »
Stacey, you probably didn't do anything wrong.  I had the same trouble first time I made it too. I now use 1/2 boiling water and 1/2 milk and cook it for 5-6 minutes.  Personally I think it needs more liquid as I am still not entirely happy with the glug it produces but I only have porridge occasionally - I am the only one who eats it so 1 batch lasts me 4 meals and then I'm sick of it for a couple of months.  You will get feedback from others who do it regularly.  It is always disappointing in the early days to try things and they don't work but it happens to all of us and believe me, you will get there. ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:39:29 am »
i suggest you try some recipes off this forum to start with as they may be more reliable ;) hehe

i love my porridge but i don't make it like 'normal' people lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 02:11:27 am »
To point you in the right direction Stacey, I tried to find the recipes on the forum for porridge, I know we have had discussions on that subject, but I couldn't find them.  Can someone put some into the breakfast topic please.  I know there is one on Brazens food blog - check that one out Stacey.

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:35:25 am »
I have had my thermomix for almost 2 weeks now and am learning to not exactly follow recipes, and LOOK at the cooking regularly and adjust.  I don't think I have followed one recipe in the everyday cookbook to the letter yet...and have had some great successes.

Good luck!
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:40 am »
I started out with the porridge recipe from the book and it was a disaster too.  There are some really great recipes on the forum to try and some in the book, but a lot in the book are overprocessed.  Don't give up!!!  My advice is to make yourself (and hubby) some nice fudgy wudgy cookies or a banana, blueberry and yogurt cake (recipes on forum) and you will soon forget about the porridge disaster!
Chelsea  ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 01:51:31 pm »
I use a combination of the two porridge recipes...

For about 2 people:

100g rolled oats
400g milk/water (sometimes I do 50/50 othertimes 300ml water (just straight out of the filter) and 100ml milk (straight from the fridge)
pinch of salt

Cook on reverse speed 1-2 for 8 minutes at 90C

For a yummy variation I first blitz (turbo once or twice) a handful of almonds then add some craisons (dried cranberries) linseeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, then add all the rest of the ingredients.

Will post this under breakfast as well.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:30:48 pm »
Thanks ILB, I'll even try that one myself ;) ;)

stacelee

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:39:14 am »
Thanks for all the help.  We ran out of milk this morning otherwise I would have had another try.  I'm working from home today so the tm31 (Tom) has been getting a workout.  I've made apple juice (not sure about this one...a bit chewy), scrambled eggs (also a work in progress), choc chip cookies....this were a hit, bread (using breadmix that I made from Jamie Oliver's recipe)...worked brilliantly, yoghurt....in the yoghurt maker now...will see how that goes, and now I have pumpkin soup in Tom.  I really appreciate all the advice I've been given.

Stacey

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:57:16 am »
Great to see your TMX has a man's name - really appropriate for such a reliable, hard-working, intelligent, brilliant piece of equipment!
  ;) ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 06:33:31 am »
Ha! Ha!

Cheers

Trudy

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 04:06:09 am »
I've started making porridge in the TMX because my fav microwave cooking bowl finally died. The kids told me its "just like poppa makes". I hope thats a good thing  :D They've been eating it, so it must be ok. I don't like porridge, so I have no idea. I cook it with 2 cups rolled oats, 4 cups hot tap water and for 7 mins on reverse speed 1 on temp 90
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 05:10:30 am »
Are you a "salt" or "no salt" person?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 05:30:36 am »
oh yes, porridge in the thermomix is way better than any other porridge i've ever had, it's sooo good
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 11:10:05 am »
Are you a "salt" or "no salt" person?

I always add a pinch of salt - just like my Grandmother did.
(Although she was an appalling cook and I can't imagine why I would follow her culinary lead in any way!!) :o >:(
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com