Author Topic: Butterfly use for the Dummies!  (Read 18294 times)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
Butterfly use for the Dummies!
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:37:47 am »
Ok - Butterfly use for the Dummies....

After you LISTEN to your demonstrator and READ the manual and then repeat over and over in your head a few times NOT to put the butterfly in at a speed higher than 4 - you must then REMEMBER all you have learned and NOT put butterfly in, ready to cream butter and sugar together, then decide to mill the sugar before creaming, leave butterfly in and zoom at speed 9! 

What you will then find as you open the lid is black pieces.... "oh crap!   That was speed 9!  Oh no.  Those black pieces...they would be the wings of my butterfly...oh no!"

Whoops.  My memory came back all too late.

But, looking on the positive side here...at least it gave me a chance to see how absolutely friendly and helpful the team are at TMX head Office. $25 later and my new butterfly is on it's way to me.
 :-)

Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Butterfly use for the Dummies!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:31:54 am »
Oh no Marmee!!!  I'm glad you shared your mistake though - might save me from making it.  I wonder what is the maximum speed you can use when your butterfly is in place?  I have cleaned the bowl with the butterfly in place - perhaps at speed 5 or 6.  That may be a no-no also!
Chelsea  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:19:54 am »
Chelsea  - SPEED 4 !!! with your butterfly in that is the highest speed it will take safely - lol don't risk it any higher they are a bit expensive to chomp through on a regular basis  :o
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:03:31 am »
you are not the only one LOL

i have luckily only gone as high as speed 6 myself and survived that!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:11:49 am »
It does make funny noises at speed 6!  We must be the dare devils of the group Karen and Marmee!
Chelsea  :)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:23:33 am »
Yeah - definitely speed 4. 

And it certainly made a funny noise at speed 9.  I don't suggest anyone tries it   :D
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:06:09 am »
There should be a tag on the butterfly for when you unpack it which says in large red writing - DO NOT USE THIS THING AT ANY SPEED OVER 4!  We have several references to it on the forum but these days there is so much to plough through to read postings since the day dot that newcomers are bound not to see them.  Postings like this one will certainly bring it to one's attention though - a very expensive mistake unfortunately marmee. We were probably all told at the demo but there is so much to take in, so much to read when you get everything and we just want to get on with using it that little things like this can be missed.  Hope everyone learns from your experience marmee. :o :o :o :o
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:52 am »
Thanks for drawing this to my attention - I wasn't even aware of this restriction and am really glad to have found out this way rather than by bitter experience....

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:06:27 am »
talking about pieces of plastic in the bowl ... i usually clean it with washing up water from the sink. sometimes there are medicene cups in there and they end up in the bowl without me realising - ooops! lol
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:41:48 am »
Have a guess who also did this!!!

Trudy

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 12:29:47 pm »
Sooo glad I learnt this in my consultant quiz otherwise mine would be in pieces also!! But seeing we're telling on ourselves will humiliate myself to tell you this story to show just how good the German engineering is..... Day 7 since arrival of TMX decide to whizz up a chai latte after making a batch of scones, pulling TMX apart and washing. Using the last of my chai syrup and half filling jug with milk - which is sitting nicely in the machine, I glance down and wonder to myself why the bottom of the jug IS STILL SITTING ON THE BENCH!!!! Look back to see what I think is the milk coming out of the machine! My hyperventilating brings DH to the kitchen and he is reassuringly yelling it's OK, it's OK, it is just coming out this hole here at the back! (oh! - That's what that is for!)
"That's that good German Engineering for ya - They even thought of house wives that would do That!" He says.
MMmmmm - he was listening when I told him about it. I felt sooo dumb! :-[

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:57:58 pm by Thermomixer »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 12:52:54 pm »
hehehehe!
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
Sooo glad I learnt this in my consultant quiz otherwise mine would be in pieces also!! But seeing we're telling on ourselves will humiliate myself to tell you this story to show just how good the German engineering is..... Day 7 since arrival of TMX decide to whizz up a chai latte after making a batch of scones, pulling TMX apart and washing. Using the last of my chai syrup and half filling jug with milk - which is sitting nicely in the machine, I glance down and wonder to myself why the bottom of the jug IS STILL SITTING ON THE BENCH!!!! Look back to see what I think is the milk coming out of the machine! My hyperventilating brings DH to the kitchen and he is reassuringly yelling it's OK, it's OK, it is just coming out this hole here at the back! (oh! - That's what that is for!)
"That's that good German Engineering for ya - They even thought of house wives that would do That!" He says.
MMmmmm - he was listening when I told him about it. I felt sooo dumb! :-[

Ha ha ha ha - I've done similar. With a cake mixture, :o :o :-)) flour, sugar, eggs, milk.... it was a real mess to clean up!!! Thankfully I haven't done it again since  ;) ;)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:58:49 pm by Thermomixer »
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 02:04:57 pm »
so that's what the hole is for  ;D

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 06:09:24 pm »
Just lost my butterfly.  I have read this post in the past but got carried away on the weekend trying to perfect a lemon butter.  Gave it a wizz the get the remaining butter off the sides  but guess what I forgot was in there???  Could of kicked myself.  I know you aren't supposed to go over speed 4!!   Just forgot it was in there.  So annoyed.  Oh well I dont think I will forget again.  Once I've purchased another that is.   ;D