Author Topic: Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)  (Read 104346 times)

Offline alioop

• View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2009, 02:25:06 pm »
You're very welcome Judy :).  I did have a bit of a smile at the thought of hundreds of cats trotting towards your neighbours door! and your neighbours face! :o
Intrepidtrier, I reckon the frogs might not like it due to the fact that it's the smell their main predators leave behind!!? 
Gotta love that goop. :)
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline alioop

• View Profile
Re: Bron's Washing machine goo - from Alioop
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2009, 03:28:34 am »
Well, I made the batch of washing machine goo/foam.  It seems to have gone well, and I have done a couple of washes with it and they seem to be good.  Definitely no nasty odour when using the goo YAY ;D.  The dried washing probably doesn't smell as strongly (the nice sort of smell) as with the one with ammonia and maybe not quite as soft, but they smell clean and fresh and it's done the job on socks and underarms of clothes etc.

I followed the instruction for goo and just added a cup of bicarb that had been dissolved in 1ltr of hot water to the final mix before putting in bottles - I will try to get to the washing machine goo thread today and post how I did it.
Here's a pic too, don't how clear it will come up, but hopefully gives an idea of final consistency it's a bit like thick cream. :)
Ali
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:46:16 am by Thermomixer »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Bron's Washing machine goo
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2009, 03:44:46 am »
Looks good -might move it to the washing machine thread?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:48:00 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2009, 04:06:48 am »
Thanks Thermomixer!  ;D ;D
If anyone needs more detailed info on what exactly I did for the bicarb alternative (instead of ammonia), let me know.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:13:40 am by alioop »

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2009, 04:35:37 am »
Thanks for trialing this Ali.  I need a safe grey water option so I will give this a go too.
Chelsea  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2009, 08:31:59 am »
Ended up with a stain the size of a 50 cent piece  (olive oil) on the front of one of my blouses.  Threw it in the washing machine with a load of clothes with the goo but it didn't come out so I coated it with more goo and let it sit for 24 hours, rinsed it off and hey presto, stain gone.  Phew, lucky one as I had meant to use stain remover on it before adding it to the wash. Gotta love that goo  ;) ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ermy

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2009, 01:36:52 pm »
Alioop, 

Yes please  I would love to know exactly what you did for the bicarb alternative.

My Dear Partner type man complained tonight that the towels smell like dogs urine (he didn't actually use the word urine though) ever since I started using the home made washing goop. 

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2009, 02:13:57 pm »
Hi ermy...... :)

Well, I did the basic grinding up of the soap bars (I used Velvet soap bars) and added the water and mixed in the TM as per the usual instructions.  I then separately dissolved 1 cup of bicarb in 1 ltr of hot water in another container.  I used a bucket to mix the the soap mix and bicarb water together (give a really good mix so that the soap mix and bicarb water combine fully together and do not separate when pouring into bottles/containers).  If you notice some separation of the two mixes in the bottles give them a really good shake (this what I did and the mix has stayed combined).  The smell is a lot more subtle in this mix, but it seems to have been cleaning the clothes fine.

Next time I might try putting some vinegar in the bottles and pouring the soap mix on top of it (instead of using the bicarb mix) as I'm pretty sure this should work fine too. 
Hope your DP likes this one better!!  :D

Offline ermy

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2009, 02:23:00 pm »

Many thanks Alioop.

I will make this tomorrow morning and report back.  I would make it tonight however the neighbours might think that i'm chainsawing the house down with the incredible noise the thermomixer makes while breaking up the velvet soap.  ;D

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2009, 02:43:27 pm »
some have tried adding essential oils, is there any reports back on that yet??
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »
I made the goo about 3 - 4 weeks ago in my processor before I got my TM. 

Have been using it all this time and found it worked well, but have noticed just recently that some of our clothes are starting to look a little 'dull'. Probably because store bought detergent has optical whiteners and brighteners that this home made stuff hasn't.  I therefore have started to use it less, inbetween using store bought detergent.

Yes, this problem occurs with all homemade washing powders (or goos  ;D), apparently because it doesn't have the laundry blue (aka brightener) which bought powders do.  It used to be available everywhere, when it was standard to make your own laundry goo, and was added by housewives to the wash.  Now, I can't find any for 'normal' people to buy, except for 1 company in the States.  And it seemed a bit extreme to me to order it in from the States - even I draw the line somewhere  ;D :D

So, the route I'm following at present is to alternate.  This time I use homemade, next time I use shop bought.  That's worked so far.  Wish I could buy laundry blue, though ...
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18:36 pm »
those using the velvet soap, where have you been getting it?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2009, 01:17:42 am »
I'll have a look today while I'm in town at work Karen - it will either be Woolworths, Coles or IGA as that's all we have down here! :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2009, 01:26:10 am »
Brazen I got mine from Woolies.

Caroline, yes that's what I've been doing, alternating.  Also when using the goo I have been adding some Oxy White granules to each load, bought from the cheap  shop, to hopefully give a boost. 

To be honest when this lot has been used up, I won't make any more, but it was worth giving it a shot.  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2009, 01:55:14 am »
I buy mine at Coles Karen
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!