Author Topic: my pizza dought didn't rise  (Read 7571 times)

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
my pizza dought didn't rise
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:07:37 am »
Hi TMX'ers,
I just had pizza's for lunch, using the EDC recipe for the dough. I used 1 Teaspoon of dry yeast as I don't have the sachets.
My dough didnt rise at all in the allotted 30 minutes. Nor at all in the 15mins after forming the smaller balls.
The dough still cooked and tasted ok, well.. actually I thought the base actually HAD taste for a change. So no complaints there.
Just wondering what the conversion for dry yeast vs sachet is.

13m.o DS seemed to like it anyway.... devoured!!!

cheers guys,
KL   :D

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: my pizza dought didn't rise
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:18:38 am »
I'm pretty sure there are approximately 2 tsp of dried yeast in each sachet.  I think another tsp of yeast and a bit longer rising time would fix the problem for next time.  I've found that the EDC doesn't allow enough rising time and often I have to double the times it gives.  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 04:21:04 am »
i think there's more than 1 tspn of yeast in a sachet, i know there's 7g anyway, so i usually put 5g in then pour slowly til it wavers between 5 & 10g ;)

was your dough in a warm enough place?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:56:21 am »
Also, how old is your yeast? Do you keep it in the refrigerator?

We use the big containers of dry yeast for our bread maker, and there is a noticeable loss of potency over time, so we have to slowly increase the amounts we use to get the same effect.

Russell.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:52:25 am »
One time i poured a sachet into my tablespoon measure, and it came about 1mm from the topedge so I use about that much (and keep the container in the fridge). Much cheaper than the sachets.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:13:07 am »
A basic guide is 2 teaspoons to 500g. of flour.

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:16:05 am »
I have had success with 1 1/2 teaspoons as a replacement for a sachet.....but suspect I can get away with less because of our warm climate in FNQ.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:45:55 am »
 ;D ;D thanks for all the great advise guys.

Next time.... 1 tablespoon of yeast / 500g flour and a warmer spot to let it rise.

I keep my yeast in the fridge so that should still be ok.

I'm just glad that the pizza's were still VERY tasty! I don't cope well with kitchen disasters!!!
I think I might be one of those un-qualified perfectionists!!

;D :D ;) ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:57:04 am »
Think a full tablespoon would be too much KL - I'd go with the 2 teaspoons per 500g myself otherwise your dough could taste too yeasty.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:42:29 am »
Think a full tablespoon would be too much KL - I'd go with the 2 teaspoons per 500g myself otherwise your dough could taste too yeasty.

Hey, a new recipe - Puff Pizza!!

Russell.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:49 am »
I always tend to mix the yeast with some water, flour and sugar sometimes in the TMX on 37 for a few minutes to see if it is starting to bubble before adding the remaining ingredients.  Might be an idea?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:32:05 am »
I keep my dry yeast in the freezer. I use it directly from the freezer as the couple of teaspoons you use soon warm up. I seem to have no problem with it becoming weaker that way, or maybe I use so much it doesn't have time to go off. Still hunting out somewhere I can buy fresh yeast though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 02:39:33 am »
I keep my dry yeast in the freezer. I use it directly from the freezer as the couple of teaspoons you use soon warm up. I seem to have no problem with it becoming weaker that way, or maybe I use so much it doesn't have time to go off. Still hunting out somewhere I can buy fresh yeast though.

Yeah I'm talking about over a year or so. We stopped making bread for a while, but have gone back to it now. Temperature is a big variable too though. We had the breadmix in the freezer recently due to a weevil plague, and using the mix straight out of the freezer, the bread really flopped. Put it down to the mix temperature as that seemed to be the only other variable compared to the last lot of bread.

Russell.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 04:37:48 am »
how did you stop the weevil plague Russell? Our fridge/freezer is chockers. I heard putting heaps of bayleaves around the pantry deters them. We are starting to build up a menagerie of pantry moths and I can tell a plague is coming on again. I have everything in containers and everytime I open the pantry doors the vacuum of air causes the bayleaves to come flying out. Spraying them with flyspray shots doesn't seem to make them drop from the ceiling either...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 04:43:53 am »
how did you stop the weevil plague Russell

Well we didn't really. Moved our flours & stuff into the freezer, got rid of any openeed biscuit packets etc, and put the rest in containers. The blighters still turned up everywhere. There was even on on my shirt when I got to work one day, so idea how it travelled with me.

Any liquid left in the open turned into a weevil trap, even cups of watr left standing overnight would have a half dozen in the morning. I've never seen a plague like the one we had over the last few months. No idea what the original source was, as there didn't seem to be a specific concentration in anything, they just kept turning up everywhere, and not just in the pantry or kitchen.

Russell.