Author Topic: Marble Cake  (Read 7350 times)

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
Marble Cake
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:41 am »
Name of recipe : Marble cake
Number of people : 2-4 (makes one cake, about 10" long, or about 12-14 slices)
Time : TMX ≃ 10 minutes, baking ≃ 45 minutes
Calories : ≃ 180 per slice  
Ingredients :      3 eggs
                             150g sugar
                             250g flour
                             1/4 cup of lukewarm water
                             1/2 cup oil
                             1 little sachet of baking powder  - see qty in posting below
                             1 little sachet of vanilla sugar         "     qty  "    "         "
                             2-3 spoonfuls of cocoa powder (e.g Van Houten type, no added sugar)
                             2-3 spoonfuls of cream
Preparation :  
Pre-heat oven at 160°C
Put eggs / sugar / water into the bowl and mix on speed 3 for about 2 min, heat setting 37°
Add oil / flour + baking powder  and mix gradually from speed 3 to speed 6 for about 2 minutes.
Pour 3/4 of that batter into a greased tin
Add the cocoa powder and cream to the remaining batter and mix on speed 3-4 for about 1 minute (or until smooth)
Pour the chocolate batter on top of the white batter already in the tin, without trying to mix the two evenly.
Now take a for and mix the white and dark batter very lightly to create the black and white effect.

Bake at 160° for about 40-45 minutes, depending on your oven.

Now I probably shouldn't tell you that, but I tried to count the calories in that cake, based on the amount of ingredients in it, and it came up to about 2500 for the whole cake :-[ and therefore about 180 calories per slice...

This is adapted from my aunt's marble cake recipe. I made it last night in the TMX and was quite surprised with the texture. It's the first time I'm making dough in it, and it looks really strange. So perfectly smooth / even that it looks like a cake you buy from the shop.
 (I've noticed that in some countries the baking powder is already in the flour when you buy it, if so, don't add any more of it!)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:27:21 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Marble Cake
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:05 am »
Thanks for this recipe Lemongrass, looks good.  Tell me, how much is in your sachets of baking powder and vanilla sugar.  We have them in larger quantities here so what would be the teaspoon measurement.  Also with the cocoa powder and cream, what sized spoons did you use.  Like the fact that you have included the calorie count, always helpful.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:49:38 am »
I've just weighed the little sachet on my kitchen scale - more precise than the TMX scale and the vanilla sugar is 9g and the baking powder is 14g. I reckon it makes about 2-3 tsp of vanilla sugar, and 3-4 tsp of baking powder. On the baking powder, it says one sachet per 500g of flour, but I used a whole sachet for only 200g.
I used 2 heaped tablespoons for the cocoa powder.
Calories are approximate i suppose, I looked up on the internet how many calories per 100g of sugar and timed the amount by the quantity I used, etc... so it's not as precise as something you'd read on a box, but at least it gives a rough idea of the intake.
Next time I'll try and cut down on the oil I think.
I've just started this calorie table but I'll try and do it again in the future  :
Ingredient   Per 100g           Cake
sugar                400                  600
flour                  364                  910
1 egg                  78                  234
oil                      803                  803

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:17:16 pm »
Thanks Lemongrass.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:47:00 pm »
Thanks Lemongrass.  180 calories per slice is not too bad.  Gosh - not like a choc pud !
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.