Author Topic: Cottage cheese  (Read 8036 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Cottage cheese
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:18:30 am »
Cottage cheese

1 1/2 litres fresh milk
80 gm lemon juice

Put milk in  *: 8 minutes on 90 c speed 1
Add 65 g lemon juice 2 minutes on 90 c  ^^Preparation:
Add 15 gm lemon juice
Remove jug and let stand for 15 minutes before transferring contents to a large bowl to cool for one hour.  Without stirring then transfer to a lined ( chux will do)colander or strainer. Leave it overnight  or gently squeese. Remove curd and refrigerate.

I have been searching for this cottage cheese or paneer recipe for the THERMOMIX for ages
and found it today on this web site which I had google translate from Spanish. I hope I havecopied it correctly but have a look at the website and see the picture as well.

http://www.mundorecetas.com/8/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=335517&p=4847568
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Re: Cottage cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:20:28 am »
I can see I made a dogs dinner out of that with my typos. It looks easy enough though.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:12:56 am »
I am in the process of making this cottage cheese. It is cooling. I rang my D-I-L  to see what she does with the whey when she makes paneer and she said don't throw it away but use it as liquid in your curries and also to cook potatoes in. She said it is full of protein. The reason I wanted to make this in the first place is that my son and family ar Hare Krishna and they are coming to visit me. I wanted to show off my skills but I think when she arrives my daughter in law will take to the Thermomix like a duck to water and really show me up. As vegetarians they seem to know a lot of tricks to  tasty eating while avoiding meat,eggs and whatever. The real kicker is that when I told my dear D-I-L I was making paneer for her she said "Don't freak out but I have become a vegan!" So now no dairy either. She makes me laugh.

Gretchen

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:02:22 am »
Pieces of paneer in with a sort of creamed sliverbeet is really nice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38:41 am »
That sounds good cookie1. I have marinated some strawberries in balsamic vinegar so will have that tonight with the cheese. The cottage cheese/paneer was surprisingly easy and tasty too though I would not make it unless I bought some cheap milk or had a lot leftover.

Gretchen

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:21:42 pm »
Hi Gretchen - there is a recipe for paneer in the new Indian cookbook and it is near enough to the same.

They use the whey for chapatis and parathas.

Not sure that there is not likely to be much protein in the whey - more sugars as the acid denatures the protein and that's what curdles.

You should check out Kurma's blog for ideas for Hare Krishna food http://kurma.net/recipes/index.html

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 11:50:02 pm »
Thanks for that Thermomixer. It twas my d-i-l that told me about the protein so I believed her. Perhaps she was telling me that when I questioned her about becoming a vegan and giving dairy away. In any case it has helped her sinus problem! I have all the Kurma books and often go to the web site. They eat a lot of Indian style food so I will be trying some different veggie meals in different styles and to give her a break from cooking. I am looking forward to the new Indian Cookbook.

We were all worried when we didn't have any postings from you.

Cheers,
Gretchen

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:00:10 am »
Fear not Gretchen.  With the protein in the whey - I may not be 100% - because I seem to recall in the back of my old brain that ricotta is made from cooking the whey to extract protein that does not become incorporated in the main cheese.

So D-I-L is probably correct ! - will have to research it - OK researched - half and half

"Whey from acid-set cheeses cannot produce ricotta, because all of the protein has curdled out in the original cheese. Whey contains little protein, since most of it was removed during the production of the original rennet-set cheese, from which the whey resulted. This makes Ricotta production is a low yield process, considering the amount of whey required to produce it. The whey is heated, sometimes with additional acid like vinegar, to curdle out the remaining protein in the whey. The whey is heated to a near boiling temperature, much hotter than during the production of the original cheese, of which the whey is a remnant. "  -from Wiki

If you make the cheese with acid (lemon juice or vinegar) then most of the protein has been incorporated in the cheese.  If you make the cheese with rennet, then there will be small amounts of protein left that can be "captured" by acidifying the whey.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:11:46 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:35:19 am »
Ahhhh. Thanks for that info. I will pass it along. I am unlikely to make cottage cheese again in the near future unless I see milk going cheaply but it is good to have done it and know it is good an easy to do On to my next challenge.

Gretchen