Author Topic: Flour Question  (Read 2626 times)

Offline NotRocketScience

• View Profile
Flour Question
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:29:40 am »
I only received my TMX yesterday but I really need to tidy up my pantry and use up stuff that I wont be needing anymore.

I bought a 5kg bag of baker's flour. Can I replace all other flour with baker's flour? ie plain, self raising (by adding yeast) or should I keep some of plain, SR and 00 (for pasta) on hand?

It's all a little bit confusing. ???

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Re: Flour Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:20:02 am »
I use bakers flour for anything that calls for white flour or flour, I do also use wholemeal flour so have that in my pantry, make SR flour using the EDC recipe (not adding yeast, it is either baking soda or baking powder...thinking BP)
Think it really comes down to individual choice and what suits you.  :)
:D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:25:45 pm »
I think that you may find that the Bakers flour can be used for pasta. I would still keep plain flour and you can convert it to SR by adding to it. I THINK the Bakers flour may have too much gluten for cakes.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:35:03 am »
I would keep all the different flours,  except the SR flour.  The bread flour can be used in biscuits and for pasta but not cakes. I can understand you wanting to limit the ingredients in your pantry,  but this depends a lot on what sort of cooking you do.