Author Topic: Taco Mince?  (Read 17787 times)

Offline auds

• View Profile
Taco Mince?
« on: November 22, 2011, 09:11:51 am »
has anybody made this in the TM - not sure if it will work as usually I brown the mince on a very high heat first?

Thanks in advance

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Taco Mince?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:28:35 am »
This might give you some idea:

Chicken Taco Mince and just because we have it
Taco Seasoning
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:41:55 am »
thanks  ;)

Offline wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:07 pm »
Yep. I make it quite often. I just use the basic recipe and the only problem I found at first was it was too watery so after a bit of tweaking I now have it down pat.

1 onion quartered
1 lge clove garlic
500g mince
taco seasoning (I have now used up my masterfood seasoning and will be making my own from the forum now on)
1 can of tomatoes
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs grapeseed oil (any oil)

On 5 I chop the onion and garlic and after scraping down I add the oil.
Saute on varoma/stir with MC lid off for about 4mins
Add the mince and cook on Speed 1 for about 10 mins or until all the pinkness has gone. If there are any lge lumps left in there, just break them up with a spoon.
Add the tomato paste and and continue cooking for 1 minute.
Add the can of tomatoes with taco seasoning and a bit of water (I wash the tomato can out) Continue cooking on Varoma, Speed 3 for 15 minutes with the basket on top to avoid splashing.
Just check the consistency and if a drier sauce is required, just add a minute or two. If a chunkier sauce is required, use the reverse blade. The speed has to be about 3 or 4 to avoid the mince sticking and burning on the bottom.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:57:08 pm »
I have made tacos a few times and these 2 recipes from the forum, cant do links so hetes my evernote copy

Taco seasoning 3tbs equals 1 packet

Ingredients:
1 tsp dried chilli flakes 
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika 
11/2 tsp sugar 
1 tbsp onion powder 
1 tbsp garlic powder 
1 tsp ground oregano 

Tomato Sauce 
Ingredients 
1 onion
2 garlic cloves 
1 tablespoon oil 
800g tomatoes cored or 2 x 400g diced  
50ml apple cider vinegar 
2 tbls cornflour 

Place onion and garlic in   chop for 5 seconds on speed 7.  Add oil and saute 3mins 100deg speed 2. Add tomatoes and blend well. Add apple cider vinegar
. BBQ Sauce Extra
Ingredients Add 4tbls soy sauce and 100g sugar (I used rapadura).
Instructions Continued Cook for 30 minutes at 100deg speed 1. Check seasoning etc is to taste.  Add sugar, salt, pepper etc if desired. Mix cornflour with a little water to make a paste.  Add to   and cook 100deg speed 1 4 mins. Sauce will thicken further upon cooling, so don't thicken too far.

TACO SAUCE:  (makes aprox 1 cup) 
1 cup (8oz) unseasoned tomato sauce, pref no salt 
1 teaspoon ground cumin 
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes 
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste salt and pepper to taste

Combine all incredients in a small bowl. Let sit for at least 30 mins to allow flavours to blend. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve with taco's or add to Mexican style dips and salads.

Hally used 500g mince, i batch of Taco Seasoning,3/4 cup hot water in fry pan. I also added 1 finely chopped onion. Then served tacos with sauceand  as normal with salad and cheese. 

Taco seasoning by Sonan & sauce by another forum memberm but i cant find it on here anymore.

Delicious.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:32 am »
HELP!! Just made wombats taco mince and epic fail! Did it in reverse as we like our meat.. Well.. Meaty i guess but it was so fine I could have put it through a strainer! I knew it would happen as I made chilli con carne a couple of weeks back so this time I thought I would put the blade on reverse. Still ruined it :( any suggestions? I know my consultant cooks the meat in the fry pan and then adds it but I don't see the point in that. I may aswell just cook it all in the fry pan in that case.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:17:18 am by lisaarnold »

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 11:42:23 am »
When you're cooking mince dishes in the TMX, you need to use meat you've minced in it, not bought mince. Bought mince is too finely minced and will break up too much.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »
ah ha! Thanks Meganjane. I'm yet to try mincing my own meat. Will definitley try it next time. Thanks heaps.

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:50:42 pm »
i used bought mince in the pasta bake I made and although it was fine it wasnt too fine and certainly wouldnt have fit through a strainer.

I like mine well separated - I hate it when it clumps up!