Author Topic: What's the longest you've managed to stretch something you've cooked?  (Read 12939 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Confession tIme. I love  KFC. I know. Disgusting but I found a use for the soggy chips.  I never eat them on the day. Next day day I put a small onion in the TMX, chop, add the even more disgusting soggy chips , a couple of eggs, some leftover chicken chopped ,or bacon or what ever,  some chilli ( a must for me)  and anything else you want to get rid of . Blend it all together. Pop a fry pan on the stove with butter and oil. Press the disgusting mixture  into the pan until it hits the edges. Cook or a few minutes then pop it under the grill until brown.

Yummy. Like a hash brown with flavour .

Ok shoot me.

Gert

;D ;D
We love KFC as well, just too expensive to feed us all :(
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Gert, that must be heart attack meal. :o

You guys are great, there is 3 of us, roast chicken, breast gone with veggie, yes sometimes use the bones. The other meat gone thenext day for lunches fo dh & ds. Ds loves to take drumsticks for lunch.

Sometimes, I think  its cheaper for us just to buy chicken breasts.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gert, I can't imagine you in KFC - you should sell your recipe back to them  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Gert, I can't imagine you in KFC - you should sell your recipe back to them  ;)

Not me it is DH. Absolutey awful stuff I have  to have  at least 3 times a year.got a sort of meal deal thingy and  it lasts in several disguises over a few days.  a good break from cooking. tomorrow I cook for guests.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Amy, have you seen this re cooked rice?  It is from the British Food Standards Agency and they recommend that you shouldn't keep cooked rice for longer than a day as you could get food poisoning.

I don't know if this is just our government being over protective (it often is) but just thought I should point out the article to you.

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Lol I have 7 people in my family ;D what's left overs?

LMAO DITTO  :D :D :D

Amy, have you seen this re cooked rice?  It is from the British Food Standards Agency and they recommend that you shouldn't keep cooked rice for longer than a day as you could get food poisoning.

I don't know if this is just our government being over protective (it often is) but just thought I should point out the article to you.

JB

I had heard this about rice and put mine straight in the fridge to cool and then the freezer. It takes nothing to get out and reheat :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:18:11 pm by faffa_70 »
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Wow, I always cook extra rice, read this & went straight to the fridge & binned 2 day old rice. I cant believe I give this to ds. He loves rice & I always cook extra to last him a couple of days, but no more.

What about pasta?

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
I have know for a while now that rice is the # 1 on the list for food poisoning, i told myself must be, caused by poor hygiene and not been refrigerated. I am not going to read the article until i have finished the rice i have in the fridge  :-))

dont know about pasta H and i really dont what to know.
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
I knew about the dangers of rice and was just abuot to post on here about it, so thanks, JB, for doing that.  I think most people think of rice as a fairly benign food, but that's simply not the case.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Amy, have you seen this re cooked rice?  It is from the British Food Standards Agency and they recommend that you shouldn't keep cooked rice for longer than a day as you could get food poisoning.

JB

.......... :o
Oh dear... Thank you for bringing that to my attention JB. Luckily, nobody got sick that time, but maybe I shouldn't do it again. Just in case.

• View Profile
Well we had roast chook tonight and there is not one teeny weeny little bit of meat left on the bone. No left overs here :(
:'(

I think I will have a go at the chicken idea. I must confess I have never roasted a chook and then used the carcass to make stock. It usually just goes in the bin. The weather is very cold here at the moment, so a good time for experimenting with meals like roasts and soups :D
I might have to make some TM bread to go with the soup. What a shame! ;)

The second night I combined half a cooked, puréed cauliflower to a white/cheese sauce made with 500ml milk. I then made up 2 lasagnes which we ate with a green salad over 2 nights.
THAT sounds like a great idea EmeraldSue. I would never have thought of that :-))

• View Profile
@ CC
Thanks for the link! I have saved the page into my favourites and am planning to write up that recipe after breakfast :)

@ Gert
The KFC idea is certainly...creative ;D

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
My leftover rice goes to the dogs with some stock and veges in it. Cheap dog food  ;D

Lots of mashed potato, pasta or rice under saucy meals. With lots of veges on the side. Rice, pasta and potato are good tummy fillers. Means more leftovers in the freezer to reheat again.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Is Tenina's recipe for chicken stock available online or only in her book. We often buy a BBQ chicken and chips from the charcoal chicken place on a Saturday for a treat lunch between sporting commitments. We are not good at getting all the last bits from the bones etc because we are all a bit precious with our meat eating so there is normally quite a bit left on the bones - I'm thinking we could put it all in the new 5 in 1 and make stock or depending on Tenina's recipe could I make the stock powder?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I did a search of her website for you Wonder but couldn't find anything. You will need to buy the book, you would not regret it as it is full of taste sensations.

In the meantime perhaps try Chookies method of using cooked carcasses for making stock.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.