Author Topic: Does anyone else have an Easycook Health Oven?  (Read 11080 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Does anyone else have an Easycook Health Oven?
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:26:33 am »
We bought ours ages ago, but I have only just started experimenting with it. I have been trying to do my baking in it because that is one thing DTMX can't do (*sigh*), and the Easycook is supposedly more economical than a regular oven.

I use a ring tin as recommended, but my cakes are always doughy in the middle or around the bottom. I am often dismayed to find myself throwing entire cakes in the rubbish bin because they are completely inedible and beyond rescuing :'(

If anybody else has an Easycook, could they please give me some advice? I would really appreciate it :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Does anyone else have an Easycook Health Oven?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:28:10 am »
What's an Easycook?, is it like a turbo oven type thing?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:31:46 am »
I just had a google search and yes it is like a Turbo oven.
Amy when I first got mine I tried cooking a cake, biscuits etc in it and had no success so have never tried again. I find they are excellent for roasts but no good for cake making for me anyway.
I just love my Convection Microwave for all my cake baking etc, it's my second most loved gadget in the kitchen. (can you guess what the first one is?) ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:49:29 pm »
I just love my Convection Microwave for all my cake baking etc, it's my second most loved gadget in the kitchen. (can you guess what the first one is?) ;D
LOL Yep, I think I have an idea... ;) Probably the same as mine!!! :D

Thanks for the advice dede :) I have experimented with roasts, but the last one I did was only the first I actually managed to cook properly... :-)) I have considered using my microwave for baking, but I haven't been able to get my head around it. I used to always use my good old-fashioned oven, but we recently got a new, much bigger one. I'm still getting used to it and its quite expensive and energy-guzzling to preheat the entire thing for one cake. Which is why I got out the Easycook.

Maybe I should try doing more steamed cakes or puddings in the varoma... ???

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:06 am »
Amy steamed puddings are really easy in the varoma.

Hope you work it out soon.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:28:21 am »
Thanks Robyn :D

Do you have any particular recipes you would recommend?

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:46:19 am »
Sticky date pudding in ramekins in the varoma are great Amy :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:20:26 am »
Amy we have an easycook and I use a ring tin, but DH cut out the centre hole so that hot air can go up through the centre of the cake as well. That way I have had success. I can't cook scones in it despite trying many times. I know others can make lovely scones in it. If you can't work out what I mean for the ring tin I'll take and post a photo.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:48 am »
Amy, I had one - have given it to my son and then had to buy a halogen type one. They are much of a muchness.. It is brilliant for roasts and veggies. I also used the bowl as a big casserole dish and that works very well. Use the high ring stand and preheat a pizza stone to make very good pizzas. Also have cooked frozen foods no problems. I use my little oven daily for a multitude of things. I also have steamed fish or chickens in the oven. Place on the rack wrapped in foil and put water in the base of the oven.

The only way I had success with cooking cakes was when they were nearly cooked was to take the cake out of the tin and put it in upside down!I used ring or bar tins. I finished cooking it that way. It would only work for fairly robust type mixtures. Cookie's way seems much better. I think steaming the cake in the easy cook might be worth a go.

Little muffins are OK, but turned down the oven a bit to let the mixture cook through, otherwise the tops are cooked and bottoms aren't. Don't give up on the Easy cook, there is lots you can do with them. Unfortunately baking is not high on their lists of successes.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:05:10 am »
Sticky date pudding in ramekins in the varoma are great Amy :)
Thanks dede, will give them a whirl soon! ;D

Amy we have an easycook and I use a ring tin, but DH cut out the centre hole so that hot air can go up through the centre of the cake as well. That way I have had success. I can't cook scones in it despite trying many times. I know others can make lovely scones in it. If you can't work out what I mean for the ring tin I'll take and post a photo.
That sounds like a great idea cookie. But I am a bit confused by what you mean with the ring tin, so a photo would be great... :-)) My mum has made some really nice date scones in it, but I haven't mastered them yet :P

I also used the bowl as a big casserole dish and that works very well.
Do you mean you use the actual bowl, ElleG? I have cooked casseroles in casserole dishes on the racks, but never tried using the bowl. Could you tell me how you do that?
Thank you for your other tips too :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:26:51 am »
Amy,
Nigelle's little lemon puddings, posted by Maddy, in desserts.
Easy to make and cook in the varoma.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 08:40:40 am »
Amy, the tin is in the caravan so will do my best to fight my way past all the 1930 car parts and get it out for you. :P
All we did was cut the centre hole out, so there is a tube that runs up the middle, open both ends. The bit you cut out is the top of the tin.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46:46 am »

Cookie you mean a tin like this with the centre top part cut out to let the air flow through?
I have seen these tins with that bit open at some stores.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 08:50:17 am »
Dede you are wonderful. I was dreading having to venture into the shed and up the back to the van. There is the possibility I would never be heard of again.

Yes, that is the tin and DH just cut the central bit out. I didn't know you could buy them, a very good idea.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 08:52:22 am »
Lol, I thought it was a lot of effort for you to go and find it when I have one siting in my kitchen 2 steps away.