Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 509560 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1500 on: December 26, 2014, 08:04:12 pm »
Not exactly the book I am reading, but I bought The Rosie Project for DH for Xmas and I have NEVER seen him read  so quickly and enjoy a fiction book so much before. His norm is scientific / philosophy genre, so this is a first.  If you haven't already read it, DH would happily recommend it.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #1501 on: December 27, 2014, 12:52:03 pm »
The Rosie Project was a beautifully refreshing read. All our Book Club ladies loved it. I'm keen to see the movie! There's also a sequel that I'll also read.

I haven't had time to read novels lately, so am keen to read over the summer period. I'll have to go back in this thread to get some idea of what to download!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: December 27, 2014, 08:07:52 pm »
The Rosie Project was a beautifully refreshing read. All our Book Club ladies loved it. I'm keen to see the movie! There's also a sequel that I'll also read.

The reviews and discussions I have had are that the sequel is not as good as the 'Project'.  I haven't read it, though, but I don't know that I will.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: December 27, 2014, 11:01:12 pm »
It is a must read Marina. It is  hilarious.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: December 28, 2014, 09:49:25 am »
I have just down loaded Love Without Limits (an autobiography). I read Nick's first book Life without Limits and can't wait to read this book. He is a man born without limbs, he also has a channel on youtube. If you are ever feeling sorry for yourself, take a look at Nick.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
What book are you reading?
« Reply #1505 on: December 28, 2014, 10:57:53 am »
I have had some time to read lately which has been lovely. I have read Helen Garners book "This House of Grief". I love her sparse style of writing, but I found the subject matter difficult.
I needed something lighter next, so I read Grace's Table by Sally Piper. It was a lovely read - Grace was hosting a lunch for her 70th birthday and reflecting about food, friendship and family relationships.
I have just finished the beautifully written Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and can't stop thinking about it.
I need something light again, so I'm about to start a book called Conversations with the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer that I picked up ages ago at the school fete.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: December 29, 2014, 04:43:23 am »
I finished Hello from the Gillespies by Monica Mcinerney this morning, I loved it.  A very easy quick read with a lot I could relate to!
Denise

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1507 on: December 29, 2014, 11:02:11 am »
I love this thread! I recently received a Kobo e-reader as a gift and love it! I started with a light read -Big Little Lies and have now started The Hunger Games :) thanks to the advice here, The Rosie Project is next...
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: December 29, 2014, 11:43:04 am »
I enjoy Monica McInernay's writing. I heard her speak about 4 years ago. I've just finished a medical romance. Time for something a little different now.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: December 29, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »
I'm enjoying 'I am Pilgrim', just over the halfway mark. Thinking about what my next book will be.... Maybe the sequel to Rosie Project
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: December 30, 2014, 06:18:47 am »
I have had some time to read lately which has been lovely. I have read Helen Garners book "This House of Grief". I love her sparse style of writing, but I found the subject matter difficult.

I read this book too, ES.  It doesn't seem right to say that I enjoyed the book, given the subject matter, but I found it gripping reading and hard to put down. 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: December 30, 2014, 07:29:42 am »
I'll have to have a look round for this one.
I started Di Morrissey's latest book last night. Santa gave it to me.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1512 on: January 01, 2015, 07:32:12 am »
Finished the Hunger Games (#1). I don't usually like that type of genre but found I couldn't put it down. I will probably read the second one soon but thought I'd join in and read The Rosie Project :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: January 01, 2015, 08:27:05 am »
I received some Dymocks vouchers for Christmas so I checked out the Helen Garner books. They didn't have any but I have put a hold on one at the local library to read with my ereader.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:33 am »
Cookie, see if you can get a copy of Helen Garner's The Spare Room from the library. I loved that book although the subject matter was a little grim again, but it's beautifully written.
I've just been given a large bag of books from a friend, all of which appear to be crime novels. I've just finished Katherine Howell's Deserving Death which I really enjoyed. I have read an earlier novel of hers and I really enjoy reading Australian books. I'm now reading Patricia Cornwell's  The Bone Bed. I have read a lot of her earlier books, but haven't read any for quite some time.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous