Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 509651 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2012, 05:56:20 am »
that's the cover i bought DH, still can't decide wether to buy one or not, I currently use a built slip case which i love. Now that Dick Smith and Woolworths have them I would just by in Australia rather than through Amazon. If you have someone who can purchase in the state and then on send the cheaper version with ads is great value. I got that for DH and he doesn't even notice the ads, otherwise I would just buy here.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2012, 06:21:37 am »
Gert, mine has a keyboard and the light in the cover is at the back on the right hand side and sticks out much further than yours.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2012, 06:24:42 am »
Do you ladies realise you're making me feel old? :-))

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2012, 06:26:22 am »
Amy you are sweet 17. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2012, 06:26:33 am »
Yup that is the one  I had originally as well. I gave that one to my DIL to buy the Touch but hated it so bought this one which is a lot lighter and smaller. I think the battery on yours last longer than mine if you don't use the light much.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2012, 06:28:09 am »
Amy you are sweet 17. :)

:)

But I don't have a kindle. I thought teenagers were supposed to have all the latest gadgets?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2012, 06:30:40 am »
Not necessary Amy unless you read a lot.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2012, 06:34:53 am »
I have a Sony touch e reader and love it to bits. It isn't wifi as they weren't around when I bought it.
I put the matchbox in for size comparison.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:33 am »
I have a  teenager who waits on my drivway for her private school bus . She has a Kindle and an iPad and has all her textbooks on kindle and iPad  so she does not have to carry those heavy books. She says one textbook cost $50 to buy and they use only about 5% of it. What a waste. She says she wanted to just tear the pages out of it rather than carry the heavy book so she is really happy now to,have them all cheaper and no weight on the kindle. It also means she can always have a text book to study from when she has a few minutes.

I guess this is the future.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2012, 06:43:14 am »
I guess this is the future.

Gert

Isn't it terrible?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
I think it's great. I think textbooks are a huge waste of money and trees. My daughter never ues an entire textbook and for many subjects has only used a few chapters, in most cases new versions of the books are released each few years so they can't be handed down or onsold. I'm more than happy to pay for books but would much prefer to not be using up precious trees to do so. With ebooks just the new section could be uploaded.

Gert, i would be interested in knowing how she gets all of her textbooks in ebook format, I searched for many of my daughters last year and couldn't get any  ???

Sorry Amy, I understand you like the feel of books and my Mum is the same but I just think it's terrible waste of resources including money.

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2012, 07:07:59 am »
Thats okay Wonder, I completely agree with what you say about textbooks. I have a lot of notes and photocopies of textbooks which I am just going to throw in the recycling because I will never look at them again. I agree that for school and other forms of education, books and notes are a terrible waste and I think something needs to be done about it. Like Gert mentioned her driveway teenager saying, they are also horrible to have to carry everywhere. Not good for posture and the old spinal column :(

But I do treasure my novels :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2012, 07:09:35 am »
What a great idea for the textbooks, I always cringe when I see school kids carrying round those huge, heavy rucksacks full of bulky books – what on earth is that doing to their skeletons and what future problems are they going to have because of this?

Amy, looks like you and I are thinking much along the same lines.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:01 am »
You know what they say about great minds Marina ;) ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2012, 07:15:40 am »
I think it is wonderful. It is all done through the school. This school gives out the iPads in a certain year and thers is a system for downloads.

This young lady has her own iPad  which is fine but she will get another provided by the school if she needs it.

Brilliant.

Gert