Author Topic: Coconut cream and milk in Thermomix  (Read 13188 times)

Offline LucyH

• View Profile
Coconut cream and milk in Thermomix
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:24:27 am »
Who has some good methods for making Coconut cream and milk in Thermomix. I see lots of recipes for making it using dessicated coconut. But I want to use fresh mature coconuts to do the job (in abundant supply in north Qld). I can imagine I'd use some minimal heat to release the oils (not too much heat, to keep it a raw recipe) and possibly some method of straining the cream from the flesh once it's been shredded in the Thermomix. In the past I used muslin cloth.
I eventually want To make coconut yogurt, as this is amazing but so very exxy at the Heath food shops.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut cream and milk in Thermomix
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:29 am »
Have you been to quirky jos web site. I am positive she has  the recipe and method.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:41 am »
Hi LucyH, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Why not pop over to the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a bit about yourself there so that we can all welcome you formally to the forum.

Now, in regard to your question, you will find the answer here.  At the end of the instructions which use dessicated coconut you will find the quantities if using fresh coconut flesh.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:29 am »
Hi LucyH, and welcome to a wonderful forum!

You can use the same method with mature coconut flesh as you would for dried/dessicated coconut. (I've described it near the bottom of this page on my blog.)

You use 3 times the weight of  fresh coconut flesh, broken into pieces, brown skin removed.

Weigh in 100 - 300 g fresh coconut and grate at speed 8, till fine. Then add 3 times that weight in water, cook for 5-20 minutes at 100C, speed 4 (depending on volume) until steaming. Continue with the method as described here.

So basically, if you are starting with 300 g. fresh coconut, you would add 900 g. water and cook it for 20 minutes before proceeding. This method is described in good detail in the "Fast and Easy Indian Cooking" book from Thermomix UK.

Hope this helps cuz you will be thrilled at making your own!

Have fun  :)

ps - OMG, thanks Judy! I just saw your link  :o :-)) :-[ after writing my answer. D'OH, it helps to read, doesn't it?  ;)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline LucyH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:29:59 pm »
Thank you very much :) my Thermomix is arriving this week and I'll come back and introduce myself and get into all these wonderful recipes.