Author Topic: Cruffles using leftover cake  (Read 7726 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cruffles using leftover cake
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:36:29 am »
When I make a batch of muffins or a cake, it never all gets eaten, ends up in the freezer then generally in the bin months down the track.  I realise this is not a problem in most homes with hungry children always looking for a snack but this recipe is a nice way to use up some of these excess cakes or cake/muffins that have gone stale. I found the idea whilst browsing this site.

I only made 12, enough to fit into my metal dish in the air fryer but you could make as many as you wanted if using the oven.

6 mini-muffins (100g)  which I'd made from ES's Quick Mix Dark Chocolate recipe
100g chocolate, dark or milk

Crumble the muffins for 3 sec/speed 5.
Tip the crumbs into a small bowl and taking a heaped tablespoonful at a time, squeeze it into a tight ball.  Place into a baking dish or onto an oven tray and repeat with the remaining crumbs.
Preheat air fryer or oven to 180oC.
Bake for 8 minutes in the air fryer and possibly 10 minutes in an oven.
Remove the balls onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Melt the chocolate as per EDC directions or your normal method for dipping things.  I tipped the melted chocolate into a mug due to the small quantity and used a small dipping tool to cover the balls in the chocolate.

These taste like chocolate coated biscuits, very Moorish - I ate 3 immediately  :-))

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline matmob

• View Profile
Re: Cruffles using leftover cake
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:26:55 am »
Would you believe I had never heard of an Air Fryer  :-[  I had to Google it!  Interesting, but I don't really need another appliance in my kitchen!  These balls sound yummy.  I would have thought they might have been too dry to form into a ball - I wonder if all types of leftover cake would work?  Why do you have to bake them again?  I usually make my leftover cake (rare  ;D) into a trifle, but this is another idea to try.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:57 am »
What a great idea Judy.They look delicious.I don't think I would have stopped at three :-)) :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:40:18 am »
The cake forms quite easily into a mound (you just squash the life out of it) rather than a ball but after coating it looks like a ball Julie.
The baking crisps it up so that it's like a biscuit texture instead of a soft cake texture.  It works, believe me and yes, you can try it with any type of cake.

I also found another idea some time back when I started researching this topic.  A chocolate milkshake in which I used 45g of this same chocolate muffin, 200mls skim milk and 50g banana ice-cream - 1 minute/speed 8.  If you want to be really decadent you can top it with whipped cream and grated chocolate but I felt there were enough calories in the plain milkshake for me without adding more.  Using leftover cake in this way is far easier and quicker than the cruffles but it's handy to have a few ideas up your sleeve.

Denise, it was hard to stop at 3  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 12:02:28 pm »
Judy how clever of you to find this. I have made Mich's recipe that uses up old muffins or cakes to make more muffins.  I will have to try these.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 01:05:11 pm »
I love finding different ideas Cookie, I tend to waste a lot of time once I start these things.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »
Judy,  what a good idea. 

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:20:49 pm »
I love this idea Judy.  I know some little fingers that would love one of those.  Yours look lovely.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 12:19:16 am »
Thanks for all your comments girls.

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:39 am »
Oh dear, the Chocolate Milkshake.............................. I can feel my clothes getting tighter  ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:11 am »
Oh dear, the Chocolate Milkshake.............................. I can feel my clothes getting tighter  ;D

That's why it's good to have other people to make these sort of things for.  You can have a 'bite' or a 'sip' to see what they are like  then you can leave them to it.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:12 am »
Would the family like to have an eat in here JulieO? The twins I used to feed next door have shifted! Now I have to eat 1/3 of everything. My fitbit doesn't like it.  :-\ :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:34:38 am »
I empathise Cookie!  ;D  I love making lots of things, but they don't get eaten as quickly as when there are others around as you've found.  I very rarely eat sweets these days so I freeze lots of stuff for DH's lunchbox. I'm enjoying seeing the family getting stuck into things though I must confess.  :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 01:12:00 am »
great idea Judy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url