Author Topic: liquorice ice cream  (Read 13711 times)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
Re: liquorice ice cream
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:43 am »
I'm having great fun experimenting Chookie ! So what flavours did you have in your freezer ? I'm looking for another one to make for the kids. They love Tenina's I Scream Chocolate Ice Cream. But kids being kids .......... they've asked for rainbow ice cream..... yep they would wouldn't they ! DH9 watched this you tube video, on making rainbow ice cream with jelly crystals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mli4A5h9ko

Quite clever, but don't think I'm keen lol. So looking for other ideas.

Wonder, it will be interesting if you try it. My 5yo ds loves licorice but he's disappointed he can't have this ice cream. Next time I make this I will probably chop the licorice in the thermomix. I think my pieces although I thought were small, the licorice goes really hard in the freezer. 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 08:01:37 pm »
Deb,  I am wondering if you could melt liquorice blocks for the kids.  Am thinking about making rainbow colors set one on top of the other. Also made banana and honey.   I also dribbled hot chocolate into the ice cream at the last few seconds of churning.  This made crunchy bits if real chocolate bits through the ice cream.  .  Keep having fun.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 08:10:48 pm »
Bedlam, where did you purchase the liquorice root essence from? Chookie, did you just melt the chocolate?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 03:43:04 am »
Wonder,  yes just melt and pour it in.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 08:25:32 am »
I seem to remember a friend telling me about a liquorice icecream that had melted liquorice in it. I think she said it was a a George Calambouris (?) book.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:17 am »
I had some Liquorice Ice cream at a Spanish Restaurant when in Melb.  It tasted quite different to mine.  I think it may have had ground up Liquorice root in it. 

Offline Melinda

• View Profile
    • Life of a Military Wife
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 01:22:18 am »
need
600 mls. thickened cream
250 mls milk
3/4 cup raw caster sugar.
good splash of Vanilla
100 mls of Liquorice Liqueur
a generous handfull of soft eating Liquorice cut into 1 cm slices.

Measure all ingredients into TMX bowl .EXCEPT SLICED LIQUORICE,   and mix, speed 5 for 30 seconds.
Tip into Ice Cream machine and process until nearly set.
Add sliced Liquorice and churn for a further minute.
Pour into dish and freeze.
Notes
This mix will not set hard because of the Liqueur
Can add liquid Chocolate after sliced liquorice and then have "Chocolate Bullet " 

So you don't cook this at all?  I've only ever made ice cream from a cooked custard base - this looks soooo easy, and licorice is a favourite of all three of us in this house!
Melinda

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 01:27:05 am »
Mel, I made this and no didn't cook it. I don't think it needs to be cooked because there aren't any eggs. The alcohol keeps it at a softer consistency in the freezer so it's easy to scoop.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:02 am »
Mel, I made this and no didn't cook it. I don't think it needs to be cooked because there aren't any eggs. The alcohol keeps it at a softer consistency in the freezer so it's easy to scoop.
Correct,  this is not cooked.  The custard base mixture is cooked.  In my old machine with a different recipe,  I used to get a buttery rim around the top edge of my bowl. I spoke to Rodney Dunn at one of his classes about this.  He said to heat the mixture to avoid this problem.  However since I have had my new machine and used this recipe,  no problems.  If you are too heavy handed,  with the Alcohol ,  it won't set at all.  Tastes good though.

Offline Melinda

• View Profile
    • Life of a Military Wife
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 09:52:25 am »
If you are too heavy handed,  with the Alcohol ,  it won't set at all.  Tastes good though.
Now that could be a problem....  LOL!

Thanks for that, I just wanted to check that I hadn't misread or anything.  Unfortunately my ice-cream bowl has been in the freezer all winter and is full of ice crystals, so I have to thaw it, clean it and then refreeze before useing.  On the bright side, I'm away at a conference from friday until sunday, so I can look forward to making this on monday!
Melinda