Author Topic: Honey Mustard Chicken  (Read 179600 times)

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
Re: Honey Mustard Chicken
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »
def stock paste tarasis or at least salt to enhance the flavour and if you havent done the paste either vegetarian or qurikycookings chicken stock paste you could also just use a standard stock or bouillon cube..pity it didnt turn out how you want..i added extra mustard and honey and had all the other ingredients as is and it wasd quite tasty!  maybe next time!  :)

Will search online for those pastes (hopefully) as none of the books I have so far (Jeden Tag genießen, Full Steam Ahead or Fast and Easy Indian Cooking) list stock pastes. [edit] correcting myself: there is a meat stock and vegi stock in Full Steam Ahead. Not sure how it comes out, if it's "paste" like or not, photos are out of focus on the jar of stock.[/edit]

I think one other reason it didn't work out was too much onion. Had planned to use a small onion (well what I'd consider normal size) but they'd start to go bad so ended up using a "vegetable" onion (in German it's Gemüse Zwiebeln) which are huge in comparison and a bit juicier.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:17:33 pm by tarasis »
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 09:15:05 pm »
def stock paste tarasis or at least salt to enhance the flavour and if you havent done the paste either vegetarian or qurikycookings chicken stock paste you could also just use a standard stock or bouillon cube..pity it didnt turn out how you want..i added extra mustard and honey and had all the other ingredients as is and it wasd quite tasty!  maybe next time!  :)

Will search online for those pastes (hopefully) as none of the books I have so far (Jeden Tag genießen, Full Steam Ahead or Fast and Easy Indian Cooking) list stock pastes. [edit] correcting myself: there is a meat stock and vegi stock in Full Steam Ahead. Not sure how it comes out, if it's "paste" like or not, photos are out of focus on the jar of stock.[/edit]

I think one other reason it didn't work out was too much onion. Had planned to use a small onion (well what I'd consider normal size) but they'd start to go bad so ended up using a "vegetable" onion (in German it's Gemüse Zwiebeln) which are huge in comparison and a bit juicier.

here is quirkycookings chicken stock paste..easy to make and work with

Chicken Stock Paste
It's in the 'My Way of Cooking' cookbook ...  here's how:

Mince up 300g of raw chicken, put aside. Chop 10 secs sp 5 - 200g veges (leek/onion/shallots, carrot, garlic, celery, celeriac - your choice - I use more veges, about 300g), and a few sprigs fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley).

Then add 150g coarse sea salt, 1 bay leaf, 50g white wine, 1 clove & 5 coriander seeds (I just put in a dash of ground cloves and a dash of ground coriander) and cook for 30 mins, Varoma, sp 2 with simmering basket on top instead of mc.  (I think 20 mins is enough, otherwise it dries out too much.  It is drier than the vege stock paste though.)

Replace mc and blend 1 min, speed 10.

Use 1 tsp in 500g water for chicken stock
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2011, 09:25:08 pm »
and here is one of the vegetable stocks on the forum..brons one

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=836.0

this is similar to the one in the edc and as the vegies go you can use up older vegies in the fridge or jsut put in whatever you like from tomatoes to zucchini to the amount in grams mentioned in the recipe etc etc..add the salt  and oil as per the recipe then it keeps in the fridge for ages !

:)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 11:30:18 pm »
I added a bit of corn flour to thicken it up, but need to search for the cornflour and water paste. Will have to try again :)

Tarasis, the cornflour & water paste is just that - cornflour and water mixed together.  I use the ratio of 1 part cornflour to 2 parts water which isn't really a paste but is easier to add to thicken any meal which needs it. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2011, 11:06:15 am »
Whoa, thanks for the answers and help Frozzie & judydawn. That was super helpful, seriously thank you; now to amass a few meals worth of ingredients to make stock!?! (It is weird, you have to admit).

Had some of the left overs last night, with some of Bron's Steamed Garlic Rice (using Patina rice as it was handy, worked much better I think than when I used Basmati the first time I made it), and oddly it tasted a bit better (if still missing something). Maybe the rice helped bring out some of the flavour.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2011, 07:14:31 am »
Had a pack of this in the freezer so today I made Honey Mustard Chicken Crepes - delicious, DH raved about them and thought he was eating seafood  ??? ???
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:49:02 am by judydawn »

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:16 am »
They look wonderful Judy - do you bake your crepes after filling them with the mixture?  They look lovely and browned.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2011, 09:33:29 am »
What a smashing idea of putting the filling in crepes. 8) Keep the ideas going Judy. :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 09:45:26 am »
Yes KJH, I have an old Sunbeam Crepe maker and just make up a huge batch at a time, they freeze really well and are a great way of using up little bits and pieces of leftovers.  I filled them earlier this morning and popped them into the weber for around 20 minutes - just sprinkled the tops with a mixture of breadcrumbs & parmesan cheese.  DH had one mouthful and commented which is rare for him - normally I have to ask him what he thinks of anything.

You could also make a fresh batch of filling and when everything is cold, roll them up and freeze for a quick meal when you need it. You'd probably get at least 8 filled crepes from 1 batch of this recipe.  With some fillings I leave the ends open but I wasn't sure how runny the filling would get so today I folded the sides in and they were perfect.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:08 am »
This is a fantastic idea! We loved this recipe so I will need to give this freezer filler a go. Do you have a particular recipe for the crepes JD?
Kerryn

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2011, 10:01:56 am »
Yes, I make the one that is printed in the bottom of the metal dish you dip the crepe maker into and I think it may be on the forum with my Prawn Crepe recipe.  I'll dig it up and post it here.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2011, 10:08:44 am »
Nope, that's a different one - this is the one I generally use.

Place into the TM bowl in the order listed

375g milk
2 Tblspns oil or melted butter (I use oil, it's easier)
3 eggs
220g plain flour
1/8 tspn salt

Just blend on speed 6 until smooth, approx 30 sec.  You can use this recipe straight away or leave in the fridge, covered for up to 3 days before using it - just give it a good stir before using.
Makes 15-20

This is the one I used for the prawn crepes.

Crepes (recipe from the 2010 calendar) Freeze any leftover crepes with baking paper between each one.

2 eggs
250g milk or buttermilk
pinch salt
1 tblspn oil
125g plain flour

Place all ingredients into TM bowl and blend for 20-30 seconds on speed 6.
Allow mixture to stand for at least 20 minutes.
Heat shallow crepe pan, butter the pan with a very small amount of butter and pour batter into hot pan.  Never pour batter into unheated pan as it will stick.  Turn over once edges start to lift.
Or if you have a crepe maker like me, use that.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:13:15 am by judydawn »

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2011, 10:10:46 am »
Great! Thanks for that. Something for tomorrow.
Kerryn

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2011, 04:28:03 am »
What is the potato dish you served with the crepes JD, it looks lovely.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2011, 04:43:33 am »
Judy, no wonder he raved, they look delicious.   it is good to convert leftovers into a completely different dish when there are just 2 of you.    Also freezer friendly ,  very good.  thanks a million.