Author Topic: FAILSAFE Mock Tomato Sauce  (Read 12539 times)

Offline SuperMum_of_3

• View Profile
FAILSAFE Mock Tomato Sauce
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:23:00 am »
Suitable for Elimination diet.
If you're not on elimination diet you could add whiskey & carrots, reducing the amount of added water accordingly.

Ingredients :
•1 tin Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
•150g Pear, about 2 large halves
•1 teaspoon Citric Acid
•between 20-50g Brown Sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
•1 teaspoon Salt
•1 stick Celery, roughly chopped
•1/2 leek, roughly chopped (or 4 spring onions)
•2 cloves of garlic
•1/2 cup Water

Method:
•Add all ingredients, except water, to TMX and pulverise on Speed 8 for about 5-8 seconds
•Add water
•With MC in, cook for 25minutes,  Speed 3,  100ºC
•Purée by gradually increasing to Speed 9 for about 15 seconds

Adapted from 'Sandra's No-Tomato Sauce' recipe, which I have saved as a shortcut on my touchpad & refer to as my base recipe every time I cook this. Unfortunately, my laptop was putting a msg up about a bandwidth error at the time of posting this, so I couldn't actually view her recipe to post onto here. I'm sure her original version would be much yummier as I've had to omit a few things because we're on strict elimination diet. There's a link to 'Sandra's No-Tomato Sauce' recipe on Real FailSafe Meals blog: http://realfailsafemeals.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/sandras-no-tomato-sauce.html#!/2012/07/sandras-no-tomato-sauce.html

I use this mock tomato sauce on pizza bases, with mince as a bolognaise sauce & in lasagne - has been a real winner with the boys and even hubby loves it! I reckon I'd make a batch every 5 days. I'm going to try mixing with canellini beans (per suggestion on realfailsafemeals blog) for baked beans next!

Offline greenie

• View Profile
Re: FAILSAFE Mock Tomato Sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:01:31 am »
thank you!!!!  we all miss our tomato sauce :)

Offline SuperMum_of_3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:10:54 am »
greenie, have you tried making it yet?

the key seems to be the garlic, pear, kidney beans, salt & citric acid. Throw in the celery & leek (or shallots) when you have, but you can get away without them. Sometimes I make without the garlic but it really is fuller & nicer with it!

It's something you can whip up for a no-time-to-cook, need-a-quick, simple meal night. I just throw in ingred's to thermi & set for 10min cooking, while it's cooking, I throw on some pasta in a pot, fry a few hundred grams of mince in another, then pour in the sauce & let the mince & sauce simmer for 5-10min, then ready to eat! A quick bolognaise sauce!

Tonight I didn't have meat defrosted so we just had the mock tomato sauce on pasta with a generous dollop of sour cream. NOM NOM! Sour cream & the mealy bean flavour goe realllly well together. Simple, fast, yummy!

Offline greenie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:57:35 am »
not yet!  but making it today - will let you know how we go :)

Offline Marinya Cottage Kitchen

• View Profile
    • Marinya Cottage Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 05:05:24 am »
Wow thank you!!! Looks great.

Offline chellebelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:50 am »
Thank you so much for this! We're going down the allergy path with my toddler and tomatoes seem to be her biggest trigger. I'm so excited to have found this recipe to save us from bland foods!

Can I make it in bulk? Is it worth doing, or easiest to just make it when needed?