Author Topic: Ginger Ale  (Read 14266 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Ginger Ale
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:30 am »
Ginger Ale

Ingredients

250 g fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
500 g water
300 g sugar (which ever you use ... I used rapadura)
soda water or mineral water to serve

Procedure

Place ginger and water into Thermomix bowl and mix for 20 seconds on speed 4.

Add sugar and cook for 15 minutes at 90° on speed 1 and REVERSE.

Allow to cool to room temperature, insert rice basket and strain syrup, discarding the ginger slices.

Pour approx 1/4 cup (or to taste) of ginger syrup into glass, add ice if desired, then top up with mineral water.

Serve with lime wedges

Converted from either Take 5 or That's Life Magazine

Made this today and it is absolutely delicious... definitely enjoyable in this hot weather :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ginger Ale
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:12:23 am »
Thanks, faffa!!  have all the ingredients except the soda water but can get that in the morning - posted on exactly the right day!! ;D  Thanks again!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:22:52 am »
What's the difference between soda water and mineral water? Could you use either in this recipe or is one preferred over the other?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:06 am »
Sounds delicious Faffa, will be trying this.  Thanks for posting.  :D

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:35:41 pm »
I don't know JD to be honest. We only use sparkling water ... bought a soda stream for that sole purpose :) saves us having to cart bottles of mineral water home from the shops

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:37:53 am »
I THINK soda water has only carbon dioxide bubbled through to make it bubbly whereas mineral water has something else added. I think soda water has salt in too. I'm not sure. It would be worth checking at the supermarket.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:40:01 am »
As long as it's OK to use either, I'm not fussed about the difference.  I always find if I have mineral water in the pantry, a recipe calls for soda water and vice versa.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 06:45:22 am »
Judy, I think that's a principle straight out of the set of laws written by that fellow called Murphy!  :)!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:49:09 am »
 :D :D Sure is.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:12:45 am »
Judy, I think that's a principle straight out of the set of laws written by that fellow called Murphy!  :)!

:D :D :D I think you are right lol

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:33:02 pm »
Ooo yum .. Ive tried the one in travelling with thx??? But will give this one a go.. Yum!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:08:08 am »
Made this yesterday and both enjoyed it.  Both liked it at different strengths but that's the beauty of it, just add more mineral water.

Rather than throw out the strained ginger pieces, I have frozen most of them but kept a small container in the fridge to add to recipes that call for fresh ginger.  It has only been boiled in water & sugar and still smells like ginger so, by using slightly more than required in recipes I am hoping it will serve it's purpose and my $8 piece will go a lot further than a batch of drink that will only last a day or two at the most.   Today I have added a teaspoon to some pumpkin soup and a Chinese meal.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:13:17 am by judydawn »

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 04:50:33 am »
Soda Water is  water with Carbonated. With Potassium Bicaronate  no Sodium, well not usually.

Mineral Water  is either flat  or carbonated and may have be naturally sourced or manufactured with large amounts of Sodium. It also may have  Calcium, Magnisum , Strontum, Potassium, Nitrates, Chlorides and other minerals hence Mineral Water and a totally different taste from soda water being salty.

Mineral water is not recommended for children, dieters or people with  fluid retention due to the large amounts of salts in it particularly sodium. Flavoured Mineral Water has sugar and dyes  as well.

And some popular mineral waters have FLUORIDE as well. Which begs the question of why denounce fluoridated water when you drink Perrier?  Not to mention the SULPHATES!

Gert
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:58:44 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:05:53 am »
Soda Water is  water with Carbonated. With Potassium Bicaronate  no Sodium, well not usually.

Mineral Water  is either flat  or carbonated and may have be naturally sourced or manufactured with large amounts of Sodium. It also may have  Calcium, Magnisum , Strontum, Potassium, Nitrates, Chlorides and other minerals hence Mineral Water and a totally different taste from soda water being salty.

Mineral water is not recommended for children, dieters or people with  fluid retention due to the large amounts of salts in it particularly sodium. Flavoured Mineral Water has sugar and dyes  as well.

And some popular mineral waters have FLUORIDE as well. Which begs the question of why denounce fluoridated water when you drink Perrier?  Not to mention the SULPHATES!

Gert

Thanks Gert  :) :)

I guess that has just given DH more reasons to say "I told you" so when he purchased the soda stream purely to make sparkling water when I was against ANOTHER gadget in the house  :D :D

JD I kept my ginger too ... wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but certainly wasn't going to throw it out! I wonder if you could get another batch out of it with say perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 or the recipe as fresh ginger  ??? ??? might have to try it  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:24:59 am »
You were against another gadget in the house Kathryn - normally it's the other way round  ;)

It does go against the grain to throw it out as it certainly isn't cheap. I will be interested to see what use you come up with for it Kathryn.  It worked alright in the 2 dishes I used it in today.