Author Topic: First recipe - I stuffed the rice!  (Read 10693 times)

Offline vpeewee

• View Profile
First recipe - I stuffed the rice!
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:06:59 pm »
Ok folks I have had my TM5 for 3 days now, I'm a complete newbie and still learning, I've only done 3 things so far but I'm having a problem with rice.

I tried just the automatic rice recipe from the chip, followed the instructions and the rice was not cooked at all. The bottom was a bit mushy and the top was raw.

Points - the recipe told me to leave the measuring cup off so I did (although this did seem weird, how would it cook?).
~ the temperature only got to about 85 degrees, even though it was on auto.

when it wasn't done the first time, I put it on again for the same temperature and put the measuring cup in the lid for about another 10 minutes. The bottom was 1cm was cooked but the top was still raw.

So what am I doing wrong. Help a newbie out!

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
Re: First recipe - I stuffed the rice!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:22:30 pm »
Have you had success with cooking other things? I did rice once and went back to my rice cooker. It worked for me, but I prefer using the Thermomix to cook the main dish while the rice is cooking.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:55 pm »
I've only used the Automated Rice recipe once Vanessa.Here is my review with a photo of the cooked rice.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=15772.msg370512#msg370512
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:47:51 pm »
I generally cook rice on my stove top because I usually cook approx. 750 g of a rice / quinoa mix at a time, I don't often cook rice in the TMX (I've got a 31), but I have never had any problems when I have used the TMX.  One thing that I note, which is reiterated everywhere is, once the rice is in the basket and in the jug, "wash" the rice briefly by turning the speed up fairly high for  a few seconds, to make sure water is getting through the rice. 

Maybe try ignoring the chip and cooking 'manually'.  I am sure someone with a '5 will be on here over the next couple of hours and will be able to give you some help.

One thing I do know, if you are cooking brown rice, it needs c. 35 - 40 minutes and, therefore, a bit more water than white rice. 

Are you using plain rice?  If you are using some of the quick cook or pre-cooked versions this will make a huge difference in cooking times / end results.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:08 pm »
I made rice off the chip once but was just disgusted, so never went back to it. (I dont even remember what were the measurements)
But after making the Non Fried Fried rice from recipecommunity, have started using the same method for making just rice in thermomix and it always turns out wonderful :

http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/pasta-rice-dishes-recipes/non-fried-fried-rice/134448

I now use 900ml - 1L water in the bowl and put the steam basket with 275-325gm rice and cook for 15-17min, varoma, speed 4.
I use Basmati long grain rice, it may differ for other rice types. When I make only rice, I put the MC in place, didnt affect the result..

Good Luck!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:06:52 pm »
Vanessa I remembered reading this post from ThermOMG and thought it might be of interest to you.
Rice and Beans-TM5
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:34:09 pm »
I always cook rice in Thermie not automated though.  I think the  trick is to make sure you have it on about so 4.
Denise

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:42:43 pm »
I have a 31 and always cook my rice in the Tmx , I love it ,I don't measure anything, do as Thermilover says , perfect.  I do give the rice a quick rinse under the tap so it is wet.   Good luck , try again it is worth it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 05:48:28 am »
I cook my rice this way. Weigh in the amount required using the basket. Remove the basket and give it a quick rinse and return the basket to the bowl. I then boil the kettle, pour over about 900-1200ml of water. Cook at Varoma for around 13 minutes at Speed 4. I read somewhere that you need the speed around 4 so that it can wash up into the rice. I then test to see if it is cooked, if so fluff it up with a fork and use. You can keep the rice warm for a while by leaving in the basket, in the machine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 06:50:11 am »
Then there's Chookie's way of cooking rice so that you can get on with cooking the meal to go with it

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=9059.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline vpeewee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:38 am »
thanks for the help, I was wondering about using the basket because it said the basket in the recipe book but with the chip it said just tip the rice in, so I'm wondering if i try without the basket it would be better.

i like the idea of pouring the hot water over the top too so that it wets the rice straight away and I think I only had it on about level/speed 1, so that might have been a problem too.

It was just plain white long grain rice.

I think I'll  have to buy a lot more rice and keep practicing, anything I can do with half cooked inedible rice? lol!

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:50 am »
To use up,your half cooked rice why not mix up some custard of eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla mix in the rice and bake, sorry I'm not big on quantities or following recipes.  Definitely speed 4 will help, I have never just put the rice in the bowl?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:53 am »
you definitely need to have the speed on around 4 or else not enough steam is created. I use around 1ltr water, wash my rice and cook on Varoma for 17 minutes speed 4, and it's normally fine.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 09:01:51 am »
When I tried the chip recipe it didn't work, and so I've washed the rice since and used the chip and its been fine.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand