Author Topic: Chicken Kiev  (Read 84284 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Kiev
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2011, 02:09:40 am »
The leaked one can always be served up to the cook - funny how most of us get at least one.  Maybe we didn't spend as much time sealing the edges as we did on the others.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 07:19:45 am »
Its much easier as chris posted previously to seperate into balls (the size you want them) but make sure the butter cube or piece is in proportion to your ball size and just with your finger poke a hole into the ball, place the butter cube or piece and close around..heaps quicker and easier than sealing all edges and makes for no leakages!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2011, 10:28:27 am »
I think I will change the recipe when I get a moment as that sounds much easier.  :)

Offline Honey joy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:22 am »
Next time I think I would make double of the butter mixture too, and freeze the rest of the log for dabbing on steak, adding to mash etc... Why can I see my bathroom scales groaning already?  :-))

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »
Chelsea, thank you!  You have practically been feeding my family the past few weeks.  The last 3 thermo smash hits  in our house have been thanks to posts from you!  (I feel a little remiss as I seem to review more than create or convert but hopefully when school holidays begin in 3 weeks I will have more time for creating.)

Anyway, I was wrapt with this recipe.  I used the method of making a mound and poking the chilled garlic butter in, then flattening it.  I also chilled the kievs before crumbing as I peeled the potatos for mash.  I was suprised that the mix was easier to handle than I thought (I used breast meat).  I didn't have any leaks on the tray but on two kievs the garlic butter was starting to bubble out on top, no matter really. I have had my student teacher having dinner with me the last few Monday nights and as she is a single mother who is not confident with cooking, I think she needs a tmx!  I keep cooking things that really impress with degree of ease and delishness and these sure fitted the bill!

I have lost a large amount of weight over the past 3 years and am anxious not to put it back on, so I'm pretty careful about what I eat, but I actually think that the 15 g of butter isn't too bad in this dish, considering that you don't fry the chicken--I just sprayed it with 0il sprayl--and I actually found it a bit of a treat to have something "crumbed".  I made my crumbs out of some beautiful sourdough I bought at a market on the weekend.  Crispy and delish.  I am keen to explore Cgonsalv's more fat friendly suggestion of ricotta and spinach.  Totally thrilled with this recipe with so many possibilities! Thanks :-)
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »
Guess what we're having for dinner tonight?
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2011, 11:49:49 pm »
Chelsea, thank you!  You have practically been feeding my family the past few weeks.  The last 3 thermo smash hits  in our house have been thanks to posts from you!  (I feel a little remiss as I seem to review more than create or convert but hopefully when school holidays begin in 3 weeks I will have more time for creating.)

Thanks Lellyj - that is lovely feedback. I think reviewing is just as important as creating and converting. It encourages us all to try the recipes that are already on our fantastic forum.  :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:25 am »
I think we have had this recipe about 5 times since I brought my TM. Everyone loves them. I would never buy chicken Kiev's as with a family of 7 they would cost me an absolute fortune. Love these. 5/5 from all of us.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline chocymoose

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2011, 12:17:41 pm »
I made these tonight for tomorrows dinner, I ran out of time this afternoon. Can't wait for tomorrow!!

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »
Made this again today for the first time in 9+ months, with the suggest method of making a ball and then pushing the butter in and forming the ball back around. It worked a treat with none of the three leaking a drop (yay!).

I made the butter a bit too garlicky, using 5 cloves will probably use 4 next time. One kid, only ate a small bit and didn't touch her potatoes, claiming she doesn't like them any more. The other, while cutting around the center of the Kiev for ages, didn't actually eat all of his. He wasn't quite sure about the butter (by which point it had cooled and wasn't as runny *grin*) but in the end polished off the plate.

He wasn't quite sure, I think he also found it too garlicky too, he'd rather a try a cheesy garlic sauce in it instead (he most certainly doesn't want ham in it *lol*). The other three are in the freezer, uncooked and uncoated for another time.

Desperately trying to remember the name of small cheesy garlic sauce Kiev balls that I used to eat in England before coming to Germany. Was curious what sort of cheese it used to use in them. The only things I remember ATM are that the packet was green and I think the packet had something about a farm on it.

EDIT

Thank you Google. My search on Cheese Garlic Kiev Balls yielded the answer! They where http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/bernard-matthews-mini-kievs/

Weird thing (hopefully ill upload a pic later), the top three hits where for Aus sites. I think Google is trying to help and has detected that I am often looking at Aus sites (on the iPad) for TMX stuff.

[Edit 2] theyve changed a little (packet wise) since I used to buy them but thanks to Google and Tesco supermarkets online shopping, I can get the full product information.

Don't think I'd eat them again with all the extras in them But def up for trying to make something like it :)

Turkey Breast (40%), Cheese & Herb Sauce (18%), Batter, Marinade, Breadcrumbs, Vegetable Oil, Cheese & Herb Sauce contains: Processed Cheese [Cheese, Water, Skimmed Milk Powder, Emulsifying Salts (Polyphosphates)], Water, Mature Cheddar Cheese Powder, Garlic Powder, Parsley, Batter contains: Water, Wheatflour, Skimmed Milk Powder, Salt, Egg Powder, Marinade contains: Water, Milk Protein, Tapioca Starch, Potassium Chloride, Salt
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:14:55 pm by tarasis »
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »
We had these last night as well. I used 1kg chicken breasts and made 12 kievs. We all had 1 each except DH who can eat 2. I find them very filling. I don't add to much garlic as I think the kids wouldnt eat them. I have 4 left in the fridge which the kids will demolish in the next day or two. Yum yum these are great ( as I have mentioned before)
My DD and her 2 friends are talking about moving out all together when they are older and they want to all put money in to buy a TM. They also said they will be having chicken Kiev 3 nights a week and no veggies lol.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2011, 08:59:43 pm »
I havent  made these yet. :o

I am a little confused, chicken kiev i thought was a chicken breast stuffed with garlic butter. ???

Why are you chopping up the chcken then putting t in tm at seed 4, woudnt they be more mince like?

They sound really delish and am looking forward to trying them.
 :)
H
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »
You do end up with mince stuffed with garlic butter Hally but it is delicious and the mixture goes so far.  More for your freezer with uncooked/uncrumbed portions. Try it, lovely recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 09:04:08 pm »
Ok thanks JD, dinner tomorrow.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 09:14:30 pm »
I was just thinking that we should bump this recipe for new comers.   Are there others we should bump?