Author Topic: Chocolate Fudge Cake  (Read 23352 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Fugde Cake
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 05:38:39 am »
gee CC that looks like a lovely moist cake, and i will have to put it on my 'to do' list. thank goodness roxy you realised before you put it in the oven  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 02:34:21 pm »
Made this again tonight as I had no cakes or biscuits in the house.

This time I used 50g of coconut oil and 90g of grapeseed oil in the cake. Blended it on 50C for 1 min then kept the temp at 50C for the rest of the mixing to ensure that the coconut oil didn't re-harden. I cooked it in a bundt tin and it cooked beautifully. The texture was more like what yours looked like Cornish Cream rather than my last effort. I used 20g of coconut oil and 40g of butter in the icing. Didn't want to overpower the taste of the cake. I added hot water from the kettle to soften the coconut oil and proceeded as per the recipe but for slightly longer. Decorated the cake with some shredded coconut.

Thought the cake might be a bit heavier due to the coconut oil but it was beautiful - texture was great, and the cake was light and tasted fantastic - better than my last effort I reckon. Will have to see if my eldest DS notices anything different to last time.

Think this is my all time favourite chocolate cake recipe to date. Sorry ILB, I do like yours too but this just pips it - I think it is the gooey icing.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 08:18:20 pm »
Well done RoxyS with playing around with the recipe.I'm so glad you had good results.I hope it passed the ultimate test, your eldest DS!!
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 05:49:38 am »
 :) i'll have to make this tomorow. I just made ILB's chocolate cake again, and a banana cake.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 02:10:36 pm »
CC my DS wasn't fussed with the coconut oil version but said that when I made it the other night with the creme de menthe and peppermint icing it was the best one I'd made so far. My DH and I didn't think that the peppermint flavours came through as much as it could have and as usual the cake wasn't able to sit long enough to develop the flavour. 

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 12:52:38 pm »
RoxyS, this cake looks amazing. I will definitely give it a go as per your first version and let you know. Who doesn't love a great chocolate cake!!!

Offline Ceee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »
I have made this twice in the last four days! It is such a light, fluffy, bouncy cake! Basically fool-proof. The first batch I made I put in the oven, not realising that I was putting it into an oven that was effectively off (DS had switched on the light but not the temperature). I then switched on and it came out lovely! Iced with the mixture as well. It was rather a cold evening so the topping needed some coaxing. Made again two days later and iced with caramel and coffee mock cream and flake sprinkles! Both times this cake has been demolished within a day and a half. :P

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 08:14:22 am »
Ceee, I know what it is like to have the cake disappear so quickly. I made this recipe again the other night - Cornish Cream's original version as I was in too much of a hurry to muck around with it. Made it as little loaf cakes and muffins and they came out so beautifully. Again, didn't last long enough for photos. My older DD has asked that I always make them like this in future as she reckons they are the best yet - said the cake was as good as the uncooked mixture - which is high praise from her. My DS still wants it done with the peppermint flavour through it.
Every time the last crumb disappears I am asked why another mix is not going into the oven. Certainly keeps the Ted busy.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 07:11:13 pm »
I made this today using "Doves" gluten free plain flour and gluten free baking powder for a friend who is a Coeliac. It worked perfectly.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 01:05:59 am »
wow!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 05:47:34 am »
Have just taken this out of  theoven. Nearly 1 hour cooking time. Cant wait for it to cool so i can ice and eat.

Have a Couple of kids over later to try it out, i know they are going to love it :)

Thanks CC

Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 12:49:51 pm »
I made this in the two 8inch tins as suggested and there was very little mixture and they only rose to about 1inch each. They look and smell beautiful but none of my TMX cakes seem to rise very much. I've checked my baking powder and bi carb and they are both within there use by. Could the height of the tins make a difference?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 01:23:04 pm »
Hi Wonder,I use 7 inch cake tins(18cm) and they rise every time.My SIL makes them in 8inch and they don't rise as  much, so it's not your cake making ability. :)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 05:54:18 am »
YUM YUM YUM. This cake is delish. Made 2 mixes yesterday - 1 in a slab tin then cut in half and sandwiched together and the other in my bunt tin. Used the slab tin as I only have 1x 7" tin (fleetingly considered rushing out to buy another but was a little short on time  ;D ;D) Used the icing mix included with the recipe for the one sandwiched together and the chocolate ganache from the EDC  for the other. I love ILB's Chocolate cake recipe but this on is definitely going to rival it. So light but moist. Thanks CC for a fabulous recipe.
Luckily I gave half of both cakes to a friend or I would be going back for a second third slice.  :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 12:02:52 pm »
Oh pooh, I don't have any 7 inch tins, only deep 8 inch. What to do?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand