Author Topic: Yummy Brown Rice Salad  (Read 150325 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Yummy Brown Rice Salad
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 12:47:25 pm »
Lovely salad, will make again. Thanks.

Offline LouLouB

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 09:25:39 am »
We're not usually fans of brown rice in this house, but in saying that we've yet to cook it in the TM. I think I will make this tomorrow to have on the side of a quiche. The pictures are making my mouth water! :D

Offline arcadia

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:34 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Thermo18.  :) I have made it twice so far and the second time a double batch. 

I double the sauce and also added sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and used a packet of mixed cranberries and something else.

LouLouB I have never been able to cook brown rice properly, the TM does a wonderful job.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:19 pm »
So glad you like it arcadia and kimmy, love how everyone makes it there own  ;D
LouLou I am sure it will be just perfect with your quince, the weather has been spot on here in Perth, think I may need to make this too  ;D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 11:27:26 pm »
LouLou, I was never a fan of brown rice but have started cooking it in the TMX and have converted to all brown rice for myself, last night with dinner DD and DH both decided to try a little and also preferred it over the white so maybe it's something to do with the cooking. Worth another try. I'm going to make this on the weekend.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 09:33:23 am »
This really is lovely, have made it a few times now with additions listed to dressing.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 11:23:05 am »
This really is lovely, have made it a few times now with additions listed to dressing.
Me too and it keeps really well too.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 02:32:04 am »
I've made this to go with a BBQ chicken for tea tonight. I added the brown sugar and garlic to the dressing, used cashews and dried cherries, used corn in place of capsicum and a shallot soaked in water in place of the spring onion. I also added some left over white rice. Hope all my changes taste OK.

Is this only a small serve of the salad? One cup of brown rice doesn't expand much on cooking so there isn't much in the bowl and I'm a little worried about the amount of dressing to rice.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 04:02:55 am »
Wonder  I wouldn't say its a small serve of salad, we are a family of 4 and we will have some left over for the next day. It does seem a lot of sauce for 1 cup of brown rice but it works as it soaks in. I like the idea of corn and will trying that next time, hope this helps  :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 05:20:36 am »
Once all the bits and pieces are added it does bulk up a little. I'm sure I'll have leftover as DS has already said he won't try it!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »
DH and I both thought this was lovely, DS wouldn't even try it and DD wasn't home so left overs for my lunch today. Once the salad had been sitting for a while it did bulk up quite a bit more than i thought so would easily be enough for 4 or 5 as a side salad. I used up bits and pieces I had in the pantry/fridge and it worked well.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:39 pm »
We have this salad often as it's on DH likes, he's not a big salad eater, but he's getting there lol. I have started adding a small amount of quinoa to the rice when I cook it.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:57 am »
Tricky girl. You can actually buy quinoa and rice mixed together now. I used this and told the mob I had run out of rice! 8)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:45 am »
Bumping this so I can find fit easily.
This is so yummy and quick and easy to make. Added feta cheese, sunflower seed, walnuts, died apricots, cranberries, tomato spring onion, carrot and cucumber. I cook extra brown rice, freeze for a quick salad.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:40 am »
Made this yesterday and I agree with everyone else ... delicious - I made it 50 / 50 brown rice and quinoa and added some segmented oranges and alfalfa and broccoli sprouts that were ready for eating.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.