Author Topic: Recipes to use up buttermilk!  (Read 34488 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Recipes to use up buttermilk!
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »
This particular cousin never visits me on her trips to California - she says she is very uncomfortable in the desert, however I think it's because the last time she was here she walked into my pantry and saw a cabinet full of liquor. 
She asked me why, when I can't drink it, I had so much.
I told her that I do entertain quite often and I use it in cooking certain things. 
She drew herself up to her full height (about 5 inches shorter than me) and said "you must be just like Meemaw, using liquor in the kitchen and serving it to unsuspecting victims."  Victims!   She thought my guests were victims.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54:28 pm »
Some relatives you can do without andiesenji - this one sounds like one of them. :( :( :( :-)) :-)) :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2009, 12:33:09 am »
Once you've got those unsuspecting visitors lured out to the depths of the desert, then you can torture them with anything !!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  Wish I could be one of your victims !!!  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 01:12:26 am »
Once you've got those unsuspecting visitors lured out to the depths of the desert, then you can torture them with anything !!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  Wish I could be one of your victims !!!  :-* :-* :-*

Pick me up on your way.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:00 am »
If anyone can work it out andiesenji, you can ;) ;)  I can never understand why anyone keeps a recipe a secret. She obviously never makes it in front of you.

She hides it from everyone - even her own children.  At one time she had the idea of selling the "formula" but could never find anyone interested.  I suppose she still has hopes.
It has absolutely no liquor in it.  I can drink it and I have a severe allergy to alcohol - I can cook with it if the food is cooked long enough, or baked but raw alcohol causes edema in my throat and other scary symptoms.
She wouldn't, in any case, use alcohol.  She is a strict Baptist and believes that alcohol is the way to Hell - dancing is almost as bad and has never gotten over the fact that her eldest son owns a supper club....... ;D

The stuff has spices in it - it is frothy (no egg whites) rather like the foamed milk ladled on caffe latte, and it is good either chilled or at room temp.   
I have tried to duplicate it dozens of times and have come close but that elusive "special" taste has eluded me.  Maybe someday. 

Oh dear, reminds me of the only baptist joke I know!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 03:09:47 am »
I had a lovely chuckle at that. I have a relation like that. Before they eat anything in my house they say in a loud,accusing voice
"This doesn't have any alcohol in it does it?"   Of course I ALWAYS answer 'no.' 
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 04:53:30 am »
I had a lovely chuckle at that. I have a relation like that. Before they eat anything in my house they say in a loud,accusing voice
"This doesn't have any alcohol in it does it?"   Of course I ALWAYS answer 'no.' 

Oh, you ARE wicked!   :D

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 10:26:40 am »
Weeeeellllllllllll if you have cooked it for long enough, technically there is NO alcohol in it lol just the beautiful flavour left behind!!!  ;) ;) ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »
Weeeeellllllllllll if you have cooked it for long enough, technically there is NO alcohol in it lol just the beautiful flavour left behind!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Technically not true - you can reduce the alcohol - but contrary to popular myth you can't boil it all off.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:03 am »
You learn something new everyday on the forum.  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 01:08:51 pm »
Yes you do!  :D :D  and that means you really are naughty Cookie lol   :o :o

I just said in an email to Shayla today that I think I am a better consultant because of this forum and all that I learn. There is years and years of knowledge here that everyone has shared so thank you to you all  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 08:07:45 pm »

Technically not true - you can reduce the alcohol - but contrary to popular myth you can't boil it all off.
Now you tell  :o :o :o :o :o me!!!! This means all my kids are alcoholics as I use alcohol in everything, red wine, white wine, rum, brandy, sherry, aniseed liqueur. OMG!!!! IN FACT I NOW HAVE A CHOCOLATE RED WINE CAKE IN THE OVEN!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »
A percentage of the alcohol does dissipate in cooking and in baking, time + heat are the important factors.

This site has details that have been calculated scientifically.  http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

I have alcohol testing equipment from when I tried my hand at winemaking - still make vinegars, and distilling spirits in a very small apparatus.   I always test  my homemade vinegars prior to using them myself.  I have a pretty good idea of how long it takes wine to convert to vinegar - the various "mothers" all operate on differing time scales, but I don't want to take any chances with having a bad reaction. 
I can tolerate very small percentages of alcohol but there is a tipping point that I don't want to cross.

You have to figure the dilution of the alcohol in whatever it is being cooked or baked and in most cases the percentages are quite low.
The one exception is when raw liquor is used in desserts that are not cooked. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:29:34 pm by andiesenji »