Author Topic: Beating Egg Whites  (Read 16918 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Beating Egg Whites
« on: June 17, 2010, 12:55:58 pm »
We had a consultant make a roulade for their go getters talk at our branch meeting on Monday night. Was yummy and was good to see egg whites actually work in the TMX - will post her tips now that I think of it.

She used the butterfly on speed 3 at 37O for 4 minutes and the MC out. Got a good bowl full of whites  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Beating Egg Whites
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:09:40 pm »
Faffa70,  thanks for that and any more info would be appreciated.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:25:57 pm »
That's excellent! I made a chocolate mousse recently that required beating the eggs in a bowl over hot water, so I used Herman with butterfly at 37. Worked beautifully! They were pale and really fluffy.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
Faffa70, thanks for another great tip.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:43:52 pm »

Let me add the recipe from my Italian Bimby book

FOR EGG WHITES

- 2 egg whites at room temperature

Insert Butterfly in a clean and completely dry TM Bowl. Put egg whites and beat for 2 minutes at 37ºC on Speed 4

Advises:
- If the eggs are very fresh it takes 1 minute 30 seconds to beat 2 egg whites
- You can beat also without using temperature but it's better if you use
- Be careful! There shouldn't be any egg yolk parts left inside. Otherwise they won't be whipped very well
- The duration will change due to the numbers of eggs used. You can beat up to 10 egg whites

FOR EGG YOLKS
200gr sugar
4 egg yolks

Insert butterfly. Put sugar and egg yolks in TM Bowl and beat for 4 minutes on Speed 4

Note: You can beat up to 10 egg yolks by increasing the amount of sugar and duration (up to max 6 minutes)
Advise: You can beat egg yolks at 37ºC as the confectioners do

This is what's written in the book  ;)

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:17:53 am »
Thanks Farfallina - it seems you have a lot of tips and things in your book that we could really do with here  ;) ;)

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:48:47 am »
Finally - a successful way to beat egg whites!  Tried this twice today as a base for nougat - works a treat.  Used 37 C, speed 3 for 4 minutes - perfect.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:33:24 am »
WOO  HOO thanks for reporting back Chocdoc. Hopefully everyone will be brave enough to try it now  ;D ;D

Offline ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:54:08 am »
Finally - a successful way to beat egg whites!  Tried this twice today as a base for nougat - works a treat.  Used 37 C, speed 3 for 4 minutes - perfect.

Do you have the recipe for nougat handy? I've been wanting to make some but the non thermomix recipes want me to heat it up to over 130.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 07:18:52 am »
Thanks all - yes, the Bimby book is better with hints/tips, but they have been using it longer  ;) ;)

Somewhere on here there is a tip for using heat that I posted from the Italian website.  Tenina was using 50 deg when she was doing the daquoise and experimenting. 

The heat sure makes it easier.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 01:39:45 pm »

Do you have the recipe for nougat handy? I've been wanting to make some but the non thermomix recipes want me to heat it up to over 130.

Ryan,

It's still a work in progress - but the syrup is brought up to 143 C on the stove and drizzled in to the beating egg whites.  Where I'm still experimenting is with cooking the syruo/eggwhite comination to tighten it up before adding the warm inclusions. 

Offline ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 03:35:48 pm »

Ryan,

It's still a work in progress - but the syrup is brought up to 143 C on the stove and drizzled in to the beating egg whites.  Where I'm still experimenting is with cooking the syruo/eggwhite comination to tighten it up before adding the warm inclusions. 

Thanks, I'll have to add it to my list of things to try.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 08:52:59 am »
Thanks chocdoc and Ryan,  i was also interested in the nougat.

Offline Churchill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:04:17 pm »
My husband and I love lemon meringues and I make them all the time, before my thermomix I used the kitchen aid which made perfect meringue every time.

I tried the meringue as per the cook book and I was worried that I would need to keep my Kitchen Aid ( which I was planning to sell) as the meringue was just not as nice as the one I made via the Kitchen Aid... well after trying this recipe I am pleased to say the Kitchen Aid is back on the market!!

Thankyou!!! I think the lower temp of 37 rather than 50 as the book really made a difference for me anyhow. :)