Author Topic: Expiration Dates  (Read 6109 times)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Expiration Dates
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:59:32 pm »
Nothing to do with TMX but this is a nice site where you can look up the expiration date of most foods.

http://algeri-wong.com/wiki/index.php?title=Expiration_Dates

In general, most food should be consumed within 3 hours or chilled down to around 5 celcius as fast as possible.

Also be very carefull with food containing spinach as spinach has a high amount of Nitrate which bacteries transform into the very poisones Nitrite.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Expiration Dates
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:01:56 pm »
Ummm this message could have come  few hours sooner!! I just used some left over spinach in white sauce to add to my risotto tonight!   :-)) :-)) :-\

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:38:18 pm »
Thanks bluesed - great resource      Muchas gracias
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:05 am »
interesting about poultry (1 - 2 days in fridge). I am going to check the useby date sticker next time I'm in the supermarket. I'm wondering how old they already are before they get to the shop  ??? I have heard somewhere that eggs are about 3 weeks old.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:07:12 am »
Nay-Nay did you survive your risotto?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:14:07 am »
*checking* ~ Yep we're fine.  ;) :D
.....meanwhile it was a very yummy creamy risotto!  ;)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:58 am »
Poultry is usually packed with some gas that extends the expiration date, but after you have opened the package the rule applies. Chicken breast are very often "Naturally Marinated" which is more or less the same as brining which mean they put them into a 15-30% saltwater solution that makes the chicken breast soak up water and weigh more and also extends expiration date.

About eggs, i doubt that they are 3 weeks old when you buy them. But always store eggs in the fridge. You can more or less check the freshness of eggs by frying one. If eggs are fresh the egg whites has much better texture and dosnt float out on the frying pan.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:49:13 am »
thanks bluesed, thats very helpful  :)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 06:03:24 am »

About eggs, i doubt that they are 3 weeks old when you buy them. But always store eggs in the fridge. You can more or less check the freshness of eggs by frying one. If eggs are fresh the egg whites has much better texture and dosnt float out on the frying pan.

I learnt a trick from a friend who used to do long cruises. They increase the lifespan/ freshness of the eggs by inverting them every few days, which moves any air bubble there, and also may mean the yolk is more likely to remain central, so less likely to break when cracked.  So I turn the carton every day or so in the fridge. Although reading around, this is contentious - but can't do any harm, right.

They do say the worse thing is bringing refrigerated eggs out to room temp and the refrigerating again as condensation & moisture from warming greatly increases the chance of bacteria getting into the shell

deb

loving my tmx!