Author Topic: Recipe Software - what do you use?  (Read 36116 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Recipe Software - what do you use?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:50 am »
Sounds like I had better invest. Thanks MG for explaining that such a program exists.  I had one that I disregarded ages ago because it was so cumbersome.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 10:35:31 am »
Thanks Rita, I think you have given me the confidence to go ahead & purchase the full version.  I have certainly had no trouble with it so far & once I have enough recipes in it, it will make life much easier with shopping lists & menu planning etc.  I do that already, but I do it by sitting down with a gazillion different recipe books in front of me, planning the menu & then having to go back & do the shopping list by hand too. 

Pleased to help you out Thermomixer.  I am a bit of an electronic geek.  If it can be done on a computer, it will be in my house. 
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH
----------------------------------------------
Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson

stacelee

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 01:16:02 pm »
I use living cookbook to manage my menu planning and to import recipes that I find on the web and ones I've scanned in from magazines etc.  I then export the recipes for my menu to mmf format and import them into handy cookbook on my iphone.  Means that I can check my shopping list while I'm in the shop and have my iphone in the kitchen (or my baby laptop) while I'm cooking.  I was worried about having my phone in the kitchen with me....but since it survived me feeding it a cup of tea the other day....I'm probably safe.

Take care
Stacey

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 03:28:36 pm »
Just thought I would share my latest (free) find on the internet, via a comment on an "organising site".
on this link: http://www.stacksandstacks.com/blog/2007/10/17/post-3rd-organising-your-recipes/ I found this comment:

"From Laura, November 9 2007
My saving grace when it comes to recipes is a free program called Evernote.
Most of my recipes come from the internet (websites, blogs, etc.) Whenever I find something that is intriguing to me, I copy it to my program. Evernote lets me tag recipes with as many tags as I'd like, so I can categorize things in MANY ways. (For example I have categories like "main dishes" "chicken" "soups/stews" "beef" "crock-pot" - as you can guess, these categories frequently overlap, and I love being able to find things in any category. I can also tag things as "favorites" or "recipes I've tried" or even "served to the Johnsons" so I don't serve the same meal to guests.)
When I plan my menu for the week I sit down with my program, choose the recipes I want for the week, then print them out on 4×6 cards. Then I keep used cards in a recipe card box. The beauty is, I don't even sort the recipe box because I've got a tag in Evernote telling me if some thing's been printed already. If it has, I can simply flip quickly through my stack of cards to find the recipe.
This system has worked BEAUTIFULLY for me!"

I downloaded the program – free smaller version and have uploaded all my recipes on it, I can catalogue them by theme (meat, bread, etc.) and have just found out that I can access the recipes online, I belive they are saved on my computer but available online also.
Its still all new to me but I am quite pleased with this programme!
Regards
Barbara
Barbara

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 01:29:51 pm »
Thanks for that Gralke.  Had hoped to have 2 weeks off work to have some time to look into this, but alas this wasn't to be. Hopefully I'll get a chance to soon though.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 06:02:58 am »
Thought I would bring this old chestnut back.......

Can L.C. print out a customized grocery shopping list?
I have been thinking about buying the program, as I really need to organize all my recipes.
Has anyone printed off a booklet, and were you happy with it?
Also can you leave remove items you don't want in there, say like the nutrition box?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 08:07:45 am »
Thought I would bring this old chestnut back.......

Can L.C. print out a customized grocery shopping list?
I have been thinking about buying the program, as I really need to organize all my recipes.
Has anyone printed off a booklet, and were you happy with it?
Also can you leave remove items you don't want in there, say like the nutrition box?

1. Can L.C. print out a customized grocery shopping list?
Yes, in oh so many ways - by recipe, store, aisle, show costs, multiple recipies, pantry inventory etc etc

2. Has anyone printed off a booklet, and were you happy with it?
Not lately. If youc an hold out till tomorrow, I'll upload a sample to my new web site and you can have a look. Any particular format you're looking for?

3. Also can you leave remove items you don't want in there, say like the nutrition box?
Do you mean in the print out, or on the screen? Not 100% sure, but I think so. Will demonstrate in the sample.

Russell.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 08:22:44 am »
Thanks Russell, that would be appreciated.

I was going to download the free trial......but I'm at the end  of my download capacity, so it was going to take forever!

Love the customized shopping list......I guess I was asking can you choose which information you want shown on the screen, or if it was a fixed template?
I read that you can custom pick colours, layout  etc.......I'm getting very keen now  ;)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 09:15:49 am »
I'm going to download the free trial and have a play.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 10:59:12 am »
Amanda, I also use a Mac and have been using A Cook's Book for years. Am quite happy with it. Like the fact that it will make shopping lists and menus for me.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:04 pm »
3. Also can you leave remove items you don't want in there, say like the nutrition box?
Do you mean in the print out, or on the screen? Not 100% sure, but I think so. Will demonstrate in the sample.

Russell.
Yes, can definitely leave out the nutrition box.  I clear it every time as I don't need it.  Not sure what the LC idea of nutrition is and it might tell me to use skim milk powder.......
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 11:35:56 pm »

Russell.
Yes, can definitely leave out the nutrition box.  I clear it every time as I don't need it.  Not sure what the LC idea of nutrition is and it might tell me to use skim milk powder.......
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 11:37:15 pm »
Yes, can definitely leave out the nutrition box.  I clear it every time as I don't need it.  Not sure what the LC idea of nutrition is and
it might tell me to use skim milk powder.......

If anyone is interested in swapping/sharing Living Cookbooks files, that would be great!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 03:02:46 am »
Amanda, I also use a Mac and have been using A Cook's Book for years. Am quite happy with it. Like the fact that it will make shopping lists and menus for me.

I also have a mac & have been looking for software. I can't seem to find a trial version of A Cook's Book (maybe I'm just technologically challenged). Did you get a trial version or jump straight in and buy?
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 03:06:47 am »
I tried the trial version first, then bought.

Try this website http://www.livingcookbook.com/