Author Topic: Poached eggs  (Read 19512 times)

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
Re: Poached eggs
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 12:25:36 am »
Thanks for the tips :) Presentation will work normally, but the current situation is far beyond normal fussiness that resolves if they're really hungry or they just want something a little different, she's got serious gut issues and is even rejecting her favourite foods at times  :o getting the probiotics into her though, hopefully will be on the mend soon :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 01:00:47 am »
Checked out the photo again Thermomixer - of course they were heart shaped, stupid me didn't notice first time I saw them. As you said, a dark plate would have shown them off better.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 09:47:35 am »
I got some of those little silicone poaching cups & stick those in the basket - just need to remember to grease them before putting the eggs in so you can get them out once cooked.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 10:04:32 am »
Thanks for reminding me, I have 4 little silicon Avon tart thingies that I could use for eggs. Have got quite a lot of silicon bakeware but have hardly used it.  Must remember to grease them though - don't know if I would have.  Probably would have thought silicon didn't need it.

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 10:37:33 pm »
Decided to try a more traditional poached egg in Thor today - was over visiting Sargo and she was working on english muffins - so got the idea that you could make all but the meat for eggs benedict in the TMX.

I heated water to line II with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to 100C.  I had the internal basket in place.  With the TMX on  :-: and about speed 2 I added the egg through the top from a cup I had broken it into.  I let it cook for about 4 minutes. 

Perfect poached egg. 

Cleaning the basket requires a thin knife or stiff brush, but it really took no time at all.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 02:49:46 am »
Thanks for that - have to try it.  Guess you dropped the egg in fairly slowly to let it coagulate before dropping through the cracks?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 02:56:01 am »
Thanks for that - have to try it.  Guess you dropped the egg in fairly slowly to let it coagulate before dropping through the cracks?
Just kind of slipped it in to the slowly moving water.  Might have been better to have the TMX going  :-: speed 3 to help round up the egg more, but there wasn't too many little egg strands thanks to the vinegar.   

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 12:59:39 pm »
Ta
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »
Just made poached eggs as a late dinner for myself, I used boiling water out of the kettle to speed things up :)

Insert steaming basket into TMX.
Pour in 700g boiling water.
Line basket with square of non-stick paper about the size of TMX lid.
Crack eggs into basket and cook at 100C speed 2 for 6 min- runny, longer for a more firm yolk.

Sorry I don't have a final photo, I gobbled them up  :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:33:20 pm by Babymaker »
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 02:35:10 pm »
Just kind of slipped it in to the slowly moving water.  Might have been better to have the TMX going  :-: speed 3 to help round up the egg more, but there wasn't too many little egg strands thanks to the vinegar.   

Great idea with the parchment!

I did try one batch with faster speed - not a good plan - much more shredding!

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 02:48:52 pm »
Mine are more like steamed eggs lol!
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 03:20:49 pm »
Someone, maybe JulieO, just posted that they put an egg into the MC while cooking another dish in the TMX. Perfect poached egg!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 12:38:03 am »
Good work Babymaker - thinking!
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 01:54:05 am »
I had a strong desire at 1.30am last night to poach eggs this morning for breakfast.  Without having visited the forum before my brain started working on a solution I decided to suspend little glad wrap sacks of eggs from the lid of the Varoma and steam them.  I actually got out of bed at 2am to try my theory (not to cook them, just to set it up!).

Worked a treat!

I wouldn't use this method again if I was doing this for just myself and DH  (i.e. 4 eggs) I would just put them in the basket as mentioned previously in this thread, but if I wanted to make poached eggs for a crowd I reckon you could suspend 10-12 eggs across the length of the kitchen twine.  Imagine feeding 6 people semi professional looking poached eggs all at once!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:40:41 am by opi2kenopi »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 02:30:23 am »
O2K, that bought a smile to my face.  How long did it take you to set that up  ???   Brilliant thinking, thanks for sharing with us.