Author Topic: Interesting Family Cook Book: Pass it down  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Interesting Family Cook Book: Pass it down
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:43:17 am »
I just received a newsletter from Books for Cooks and they listed this book which sounds like it could be a really good “down to earth” cookbook (it is a non-TMX cookbook).

Ever been to a country town or show and loved the local baking - $4 a plate; every crumb a buttery morsel and wanted to cook like that at home?  Well now you can!

Pass It Down and Keep Baking is the Hutchins' family cookbook. Beth Ellen and Laura Jean's nanna, Nellie Stanger (Hutchins), was one of fourteen children from the small country town of Nathalia, Victoria, and the family were famous for their baking.

The two sisters, Beth and Laura, wanted to make sure that these treasured recipes were not lost but passed on to future generations. And so they created their own family cookbook.

They collated and baked the recipes, collected the cook's tips and secrets, styled the sweets on their family's crockery, took the photos and laid out the publication before self-publishing it.

There are over 40 recipes of biscuits, slices, cakes and desserts. Some favourites include Auntie Bett's Bakewell Tarts, Auntie Nellie's Ginger Fluff and Auntie Bev's French Creme.

In addition to preserving these 'Golden Age' country baking recipes, a portion of the proceeds goes to the Nathalia Op Shop for local community programs.

This is the link to the book on Books for Cooks’ web site if you are interested.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Family Cook Book: Pass it down
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:58:28 am »
These sort of books are usually very good Marina, good old fashioned home style baking like our Grandma's used to make (note I didn't say like Mum used to make  ;D). The one I obtained from Michele recently would be very similar (Merle's Kitchen), there are some lovely recipes in there too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:14:13 am »
I saw that Marina and decided I would love to have a look at it. I wish I knew where my Mum's handwritten recipe book went.  :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 05:18:49 am »
love it, I know where my mums hand written book  is.. :)
great idea
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:46:45 am »
This has made me think!
I have my mum's hand written cook book.
Also have my grandmother's hand written and collected recipes.
Might have a look at them.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:25:11 am »
I have my mum's cook books too, also my nana's.  I love reading through them and still make some things from them.  Also have a book from my nana called "Everything A Lady Should Know"  It's full of interesting household hints etc.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:38:42 am »
That book sounds lovely Marina.  I have my Nana's handwriiten recipe file, which i treasure.  It s lovely to see her hand writing, also a couple of recipes and written by a friend who has since passed on.  It brings people to life for me.
Denise