Author Topic: Chlorophyll Paste  (Read 13829 times)

Offline Miranda

• View Profile
Chlorophyll Paste
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:12:14 am »
Hi everyone!  This is my first post, but I've been reading the site for ages and have found it very useful and stuffed with yummy ideas!
Anyway, I had this Chlorophyll Paste recipe that I sourced ages ago, just in case i needed it.  After Masterchef last night, I think it may be time to give it a go!.  Taste buds tingling at the thought of it added to mashed potatoes! 
Happy Saturday everyone!   Miranda

http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=33

Chlorophyll Paste - Tom Cockerill, Entropy Restaurant

There is an enzyme within green plant matter called chlorophyllase, which at moderate temperatures 66-77˚C, attacks the bright green chlorophyll pigment within the plant making chlorophyll water soluble. This is why green vegetables cooked in water that isn’t close enough to the boil lose their vibrancy, since the bright green pigmentation leeches out into the cooking water. 

This recipe uses the thermomix’s controlled heating & puréeing functions to deliberately cause this effect in order to obtain the pigment for culinary use, and the ice used at the end minimises the cooking time to prevent the pigment itself from dulling.

Ingredients

750 gm water
250 gm washed baby spinach leaves
80 – 150 gm soft herbs (depending on desired strength of flavour)
500 gm ice cubes

Method

Weigh the ice into the bowl of the Thermomix.  Crush by Turbo pulsing several times and then tip out the crushed ice into a large mixing bowl.

Weigh the water directly into the Thermomix bowl and bring up to precisely 70˚C (approx 5-6 minutes/ 70˚C/ Speed 1).  Stop the Thermomix, remove the lid & weigh in the baby spinach & herbs.
Blitz on full power 6 minutes/ 70˚C/ Speed 10 and then immediately pour into the bowl of crushed ice.

Pour the contents of the bowl into a sieve lined with muslin.  Ideally leave to drain over night.

The resulting paste left in the muslin is the chlorophyll.  This may be kept refrigerated for up to two days.

Chef's Tips

Chlorophyll Paste provides a natural colour & flavour base for a variety of uses: added to soups at the last minute it gives a bright verdant colour, it also works well with cream based sauces, risottos & mashed potato. Any type of soft herb can be used when following this recipe to impart a distinctive flavour to the finished dish.

Many thanks to Tom Cockerill, Chef/Proprietor, Entropy Restaurant, Leicester. "Which" Good Food Guide, Best Newcomer 2006.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Chlorophyll Paste
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:47:22 am »
Wow.  This is a really interesting recipe.  Thanks for posting it Miranda.  :)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:46 am »
great thanks, now i wonder why george didnt use his TM to make this on last nights show!! 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:05:50 am »
I wondered exactly the same Baf. Perhaps it wouldn't have had the wow factor.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 02:12:44 am »
I wondered the same thing at the time and DH had this reply!!   (I had already told him you could do it in the TMX as I had seen the recipe ages ago on the UK site  :-)) :-)

It was to show the process to the contestants (which  the TMX would have made the paste,  but not really shown the process that needs to happen) if the contestants are smart enough to buy a TMX after being on the show, then they should be smart enough to come here as well
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 03:18:11 am »
Thanks for posting this as I'd already saved the recipe from Masterchef for when I wanted to make the green pasta.  Doing it in the TM will make the process even easier.  :D

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:49:16 am »
now I just need to work out (or have some clever person tell me) how to do it to make orange and red pasta. Would the same method work with carrots and beetroot if they are grated before cooking?

Offline tmgeelong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »
Hi Miranda,

Welcome and thanks for posting that.. Wish I could get on here more often to catch up on all the good news. You have an amazing cache of knowledge, time to start sharing.. ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:10:57 am »
Thanks Miranda - glad you posted that as MrsT wanted me to try making it.  She has a recipe for chlorophyll from Raymond Blanc's book from the mid-1980s.

A chef in Spain has written a WHOLE book on Chlorophyll - in Spanish !!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 01:45:20 pm »
Faffa, when I saw this recipe I thought of you.  Could easily convert to making in the TM.  :D

http://www.petermcinnes.com.au/recipes_details.php?recipeID=120&rname=Beetroot%20Tagliatelle

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 05:26:13 pm »
Thank you Julie  :-* :-* :-* Just need a weekend free (or even a day lol) to have a go. It's a huge thing in this house as everyone has a go at making the pasta and we generally make a fair bit for later  :D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 12:40:56 am »
No worries Faffa, I hope you find time soon, sounds like a nice family day.  :D

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:20:14 pm »
I don't get this  ???. If chlorophyllase makes chlorophyll water soluble at 70C, then surely the chlorophyll will disolve in the water and just pass through the muslin?  What am I missing?
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 06:51:46 am »
Yes, need to have a look and think about that one!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.