Author Topic: Potato Gnocchi -EDC  (Read 31068 times)

Offline Sunny

• View Profile
Potato Gnocchi -EDC
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:41:00 am »
Potato Gnocchi
Everyday Cooking for every family
p.90

The second paragraph talks about mashing the potatoes - but there is no mention of needing to stop and let the bowl cool down (possibly should take potatoes out) so that the interval setting function will work.  This function will only work if the bowl is not hot.

I found this out too late - when in the middle of cooking - and it really made dinner very late.  I would have chosen to cook it when i had more time otherwise, or managed it a very differently (got a couple of child and spouse helpers in ;)). 

Also, 1kg of potatoes definitely made enough to feed the family and freeze some - but it doesnt mention how much it will make.  So I made too much and wasn't prepared for the freezing bit. 

My lack of prep doesn't mean it isn't easy to make, but these little inclusions will make a world of difference to newbies like me.

I hope this is helpful!

;) ; :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:38:38 am by Thermomixer »

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 11:05:28 am »
I agree Sunny.  I thought I had broken my TMX when the kneading function wouldn't work because of the heat.  It took forever to cool down and our dinner was very late also.  I probably should have scraped it out and stuck the mix in the freezer to cool but I was too concerned about my TMX to think straight. How did your gnocci taste?  After all of the effort mine tasted like glue!  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:57:29 am »
I had the same problem and was running round frantically thinking I had broken my TMX. DD was cool and calm and checked the book and found out the reason-it was too hot.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:48:25 am »
Gives you a fright  :o :o :o :o - need to contact Tenina.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:02 am »
This happened to me last night, I ended up mixing it on sp4 using the spatula but it was very gluey once cooked :(
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline oliolioli

• View Profile
Re: Potato Gnocchi -EDC
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:05 am »
I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one who panicked about the 'broken' thermomix while making gnocchi!  Other than the confusion over the bowl needing to cool down, the recipe was very easy otherwise and much tastier than the store bought stuff.  It fed 2 adults and 2 kids, with enough left to freeze for another couple of meals (cant remember how many precicely!).  I got a lot of satisfaction when opening the freezer and seeing all that homemade gnocchi in there!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:26:14 am »
Any secrets??  Mine tasted like glue and I ended up giving the leftovers to the chooks.  ???

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 06:29:04 am »
From experience gnocchi doesn't have a lot of flavour.. it's used to enhance the flavour of the sauce.  Perhaps add a little more salt?  I don't use the egg.  :)

What makes the difference is the type/age of the potatoes used as well as how fresh the flour is that goes into it I've found.  I have used my bakers flour as well to make it mostly as the Italians tend to us "00" flour for pasta making.

Hope that helps somewhat.  8)

The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 05:52:21 am »
Yes, the potato type is important and not overworking ( like scones compared to bread - light) which is why you have to be careful with the TMX - don't overwork it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 04:29:06 am »
Suggestions duly noted. I have included in my collation for Tenina (which is now 11 pages long!).
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline merlot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:12:17 am »
any suggestions on the type of potato that works best? and old or new potatos?

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 08:06:10 am »
I have tried old/new and lot's of different types of potatoes without success.  I love the ricotta gnocchi from the vegetarian cookbook - no fail everytime.  :)

Offline merlot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 12:13:15 pm »
i am actually going to make the pirogi (or whatever it is) from the My Way of Cooking book this week, which is ricotto so probably something similar.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 12:57:40 pm »
any suggestions on the type of potato that works best? and old or new potatos?
I have found the Desiree the best M!  ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »
Variety is probably more important than age.  Desiree as Ceejay says and Nicolas are good for gnocchi.

It is important to make sure that they don't have too much moisture or you have to add excess flour.
Thermomixer in Australia