Author Topic: Help from jam makers please!  (Read 49173 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Help from jam makers please!
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:42:53 pm »
ok, so i had another go at jam yesterday - used up some past-their-best peaches and nectarines. it smelled divine as it was cooking!! (i put cinnamon in too)

this time i used 650g fruit, 450g sugar and half a packet of jamsetta (i worked out half a pack from the quantities on the back of the pack). the jam still came out totally like sauce  :'( i thought it would thicken as it cooled but no.

so my questions are - how much jamsetta to how much fruit is best, and
can i fix it now or is it too late to salvage? do i have to pass it off as sauce again?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
Re: Help from jam makers please!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:48:14 am »
Hi.

I have just added another category for Jams and Chutneys.

MM

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:55:13 am »
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Alina0210

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:26:28 am »
my mum (who makes a lot of jam) says to cook it longer... try it buy putting some on a cold plate and then scrap using ur nail, if it does go jam like cook it longer.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:38:51 am »
so i can cook it longer now? or next time?
My Cooking Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 01:06:16 pm »
I have found that the times given in the recipe books are too short.  I have a useless memory and haven't made any in over a month, (and as ever, didn't take notes as going along!), but I think I needed an extra 10 minutes?  Anyway, before you begin, put a saucer or small plate (or 2) in the freezer.  Cook for at least 3 minutes longer than the recipe book says.  Then take a tsp of the jam and put it onto the saucer (now taken out of the freezer  ;D)  Leave it a minute, then gently push the top with a finger.  If it wrinkles, ie there's a bit of a skin on top, you're in business, jar it up.  If not, cook it for another 5 minutes or so, then try again.  Once it's passing the wrinkle test, don't do what I do, and WRITE IT DOWN so that you know the timing for next time :-)

Alternatively, get yourself a jam/candy making thermometer and take the guess work out  ;)

I'm going to post 2 recipes which I've used which I know definitely work in the new category at some point today.  Especially the Fruit spread one, which I've been promising to people off list.  That makes a marmelade type spread, very delicious, with leftovers from making cordials.  Come to think of it, don't think the cordials are in the Ozzy book, so perhaps I'd better list them under the drinks category ...

I've never used jamsetta.  I've used normal granulated and half a lemon, which works but takes a lot longer.  And I've used the jam sugar which already has the pectin in.  In both cases, jam is easiest to make if using equal quantities sugar with the fruit.  Must admit I tend to put a bit less in and cook for longer, but that is how I started off. 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 01:42:28 am »
Karen, have you had any more luck with the jam?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:28:45 am »
i havne't tried again! i don't actaully eat jam ;)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Soni@

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:31:39 pm »
Karen, try using the Varoma temp for an extra 10 minutes, using the basket upside down to cover the hole instead of the measuring cup. This can be done after the jam as cooled down or even the next day if needed.

I've made tomato jam and pumpkin jam using approximately those quantities of fruit and sugar and they turned out very good.
I've never used jamsetta - never heard of it before, actually  :P

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:56 pm »
I make pear jam and I use a whole packet of jamsetta for 800g of fruit.

I noticed in the TM everyday book that there is no need for jamsetta with the TM??? I am yet to get through my current batch of pear jam but will experiment once it is all used
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 12:35:03 am »
Think that it might depend on what fruits you are using!  Don't throw out the jamsetta yet!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 12:46:57 pm »
Thermomixer is right, that Jamsetta is very handy for fruits with low pectin content (eg: strawberries).  Other means of setting jam include including a grated apple (blitzed in tmx beforehand) or half a lemon.  There's heaps of pectin in citrus seeds, so if you can include some of those then fish them out later, that's another good one.

I'm off to look for pumpkin jam recipes now...
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:04:29 am »
HELP!!!!

am having yet another go at jam (49c punnets of strawberries, yay!)

today i used 1kg strawbs, 500g sugar, 1/3 - 1/2 pack jamsetta, 1 whole apple & 1 small peeled lemon

i've been cooking it so far for about 1 hour & 15 minutes and it's still looking saucy

should it look jam consistency when it's ready or will it thicken heaps when it's ready? hang on, i've seen the plate test, will try that now but any more advice very welcome...
My Cooking Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 06:07:53 am »
Sorry - I'm not much help to you.  I can get every other jam to set but not strawberry. Sounds like you are doing all you can (aside from using varoma temp for a couple of minutes with a towel over the top).  If all else fails enjoy your strawberry sauce like I do!  ;D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 06:08:48 am »
i have the basket on top but have too much in there for varoma i think lmao!
My Cooking Blog