Author Topic: Cyndi's 21 day weight loss diet  (Read 76305 times)

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
Re: Cyndi's 21 day weight loss diet
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2011, 10:27:36 am »
I have just started this program after going to see Cyndi here in Perth earlier this week. She was wonderful!!

I just have to say, after trying the Dukan diet for the last few months (on and off as it was so hard eating just one food group for so long), I am in heaven with this one. I did lose weight (5kilos) on the Dukan diet (high protein) but when I tired of alternating between pure protein one day and protein and veggies the next, for months...I gave up and the weight found me again.

I love love love the brekky smoothie and am looking forward to trying some of the porridges she has in her book.

Have the posters here who have already done the 21 day challenge found its been a good kickstart to lower weight? I have five kilos I don't want anymore!!

Cottchick.

Offline vanillabean

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:43 am »
Being in Canada, I've never heard of Cyndi O'Meara. Being curious, I googled her and I really identify with her approach to healthy eating and getting back to basics. I'm just wondering how easy it is to stick to this way of eating? I've read this thread through and it seems that people have trouble staying true to the program when 'life gets in the way' so to speak - ie. meetings, kids, husbands, etc. Just curious if there's any more input from members that have been or are still following Cyndi's way of eating.

I'm also wondering how large of a download is the e-book? I was hoping to convert it onto my phone and have limited space and can't find any mention on her website as to how large the pdf file is.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2011, 02:01:20 am »
Dear vanillabean. 

My family and I have been following Cyndi's principles for the last 3 years.  I think it depends on what kind of habit base you are coming from as to how hard it will be to maintain.  If you can get her Changing Habits, Changing lives book to go with her 21 day program it gives you a deeper understanding of her principles and how to go about making further changes once you have finished the 21 days.  The thing I love about Cyndi's stuff is it's logical and once you are in the habit, easy.  You become more in tune with your body and your taste buds and will get to a point where the things you used to love you just can't bear anymore.  I can now taste fake flavours, hydroginated oils and other nasties when they have been added to food.  I think a major mindset change for me was realising how much potential damage the frankenstein foods can do.  You know all those things we label as 'treats'.  Well I just don't think they are a treat if they are doing me or my family harm.  That thought alone is enough to make me just say no to the processed rubbish I used to eat.  The wonderful news for you is that having a thermomix makes life so much easier when you are cooking most of your food from scratch.  Most people are sold on their Tm by the sorbet - for me it was the veg stock concentrate and being back in control of what goes into the food I eat.  There are a few of her principles that I struggle with and still are working towards - personal products - finding something that is close to nature and that works for me has been very challenging, bread - trying to make my own is something I don't always have time for so I have to compromise here sometimes (still I try for a great quality no additives organic bread where I can, nuts - can't get them in the shell in the quantities that my family eats, eating for my blood group - just too restrictive for me and eating salads in winter.  A couple of things that are really important in staying on track.  Menu plan, even your snacks if need be, this really, really helps.  Become a complusive label reader - even products that we think tick the boxes can suddenly change their ingredients. Seek like minded people who can help you source the foods you want and finally beware of the creep factor - sometimes when we begin to feel great we can fall back into old habits.  They can creep in slowly so we don't notice them.   

Hope this helps

Offline vanillabean

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2011, 06:02:23 am »
Hello earth mumma,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I've ordered the ebook and am loving everything I'm reading so far. I also ordered her TM cookbook and the Changing Habits, Changing Lives book but wouldn't you know it, we have a postal strike right now in Canada??? Grrrr. So I'll have to wait to read more.

So far, the 21 day program hasn't been too difficult to stick to since we already do eat healthfully -- I don't buy prepackaged foods and make meals from scratch. I was really excited to learn about Rapadura sugar (never heard of it - and is it ever hard to find here, but I finally did! :) ) I know absolutely nil re: eating for your blood type (which I doubt would be easy to follow since  we're all different blood types in my family --- and my days of being a short-order cook from my daughter's toddler days are so OVER!  :o )

Anyway, the long and the short of it, thank you for your response, it has helped me a great deal.

Cheers!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2011, 09:14:17 am »
Is this diet also good for just feeling well, even if you don't want to lose weight?

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2011, 01:54:07 am »
Hi Tasty.  Absolutely.  When I started using Cyndi's principles I was the same weight as I am now.  My weight only fluctuates in winter when I eat lots of stews and winter warming foods.  As soon as summer starts it comes off again - through not extra effort, just a change in my eating habbits.  I find my immunine system (and that of my families) are very strong now and mostly my energy levels are great.  I find that having the barley grass most days really helps.  I don't take the colliodal minerals all the time though.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2011, 04:05:55 am »
Hi, I'm thinking of having a look at Cyndi's plan not to follow 100% but just to get some ideas for healthier eating and possibly as a plan for a few weeks. I was looking at puchasing her e-book but does this also contain the recipes or will I need to order the recipe book through TMX?

Has anyone else just followed this as a rough guide and felt any health benefits?

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2011, 05:40:58 am »
Hi Wonder.  If you don't want to follow her plan 100% but want some ideas on how to make some changes then her e-book is great, although the number of recipes aren't huge.  I would suggest that you read her changing habits changing lives book as it has far more detailed info iin it and then look at purchasing her Thermomix recipe book to get you going.  Any of her infor is good though. Have you looked at her web site?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2011, 06:07:14 am »
Thanks earth mumma, I have looked at the website over quite a long period of time and even listened in on a few of her podcasts, you don't seem to be able to access as much information for free as I remember but there is still a lot of information on there. I guess I'm looking more towards the ebook because it would give me a little more day to day structure rather than just an understanding which is what I think I'm after, also I really don't like purchasing hard copy books anymore and find it much more convenient to have it on the iPad and ready to read whenever I'm able. I know I'm a little too fussy.

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2011, 10:55:26 am »
Hi all!
I know this thread is now quite old but I thought I would post my progress anyway. I have been following cyndi's e-book for 8 days now and today is the first time I have struggled. We had a big day yesterday and a late night - and it is my second day of incorporating a walk in my mornings so perhaps that is why I am so exhausted. Apart from today - I was amazed at how much energy I had all of last week. The morning shakes are delicious! But I have taken out the oats in case they were too much, but think I might try it with them again tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. I had no time to make dip this morning (or yesterday) so just had veggie sticks for afternoon tea and really found that I am craving more food!

Anyway, am hoping the energy will come back tomorrow but thought I would post on here anyway :) am off to have a nap before dinner and will update again in a few days/week to let you know how it went.

Oh and by the way i have lost 1.5kg in the first week. Felt like I shouldn't have because there was no exercise and plenty of 'good' fat. Not what I am used to when trying to lose weight. So 'gaining health' really does work so far!
Kim.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:59:24 am by Kimby83 »

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:56 am »
Hi Kimby83

When I help people through the 21 days most of them do find that they have a point where it all gets a bit hard or they feel 'over it'.  This is really normal and usually happens around day 10-14.  Often in the first week energy can ebb and flow as the body moves out some toxins. The important thing is to be tender with yourself - acknowledge that what you a trying to do is make some major changes in your habits and that it takes time.  Then pick yourself up and recommit yourselve to the program.  The dips are also really important as they provide enough 'nutrients' to stop you feeling hungry.  Keep it up and keep writing in your daily health log so you can see the differenes from when you began to when you finish.

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:03 am »
Hi earth mumma
Thanks! Yes it only lasted a day, and I stuck to it but just had a nap when I got home from work. the next day I was still a bit tired and I guess a little over the effort (although it’s not much effort!) and was obviously having a moment of weakness and ate a caramello koala.  WOW. I actually didn’t like the taste of it!! Very strange, they used to be my favourites!  I couldn’t eat it all, I can’t even describe the taste.  It sounds silly but it was like I could taste chemicals!
I made the hommus dip and have been eating that for afternoon tea so all going well there – I am finding I am hungrier in the mornings though when I used to be able to have the shake and it would fill me up for the whole morning.  Not sure if that is related to the exercise!  However, up to day 10 today and still loving the food, the Pad Thai last night was absolutely to die for, and my DF raved about it and requested we have it as a regular on the menu (love when we can do that!).  Bonus is, it literally took all of 5ish minutes to throw it all together! Sensational. 
Thanks for the support!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:01 am »
kimby83, it sounds like you are going great. I've purchased the books and starting to have a read but travelling for work at the moment so it's impossible to start something like this. It would be great if you are able to continuing writing your experiences so when I am able to have a go I've got your journey to compare to.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2011, 05:43:06 am »
Hi Kimby83

You are right!  Once you get uses to tasting foods as close to their natural state you can taste the chemicals.  If you use to eat margarine it is one that is very obvious.  I think I am now very sensitive to hydroginated fats and lots of other cvhemical nasties.  Cabury use to be my favourite chocolate, but now I can't eat it, same with potato chips, use to love em, but now can only have a few before my body says - enough!  The best bit is when you have finished your 21 days you can start living by the 80/20 rule.  Eat fabulous foods as close to their natural state 80% of the time and 20% of the time you eat what you would like.  It's funny though because after you have been eating foods in this way for a while there probably will be some things that wont even make it on to the 20% list.  I wont drink fizzy drinks (unless homemade - with natural mineral water), eat anything knowingly with hydroginated fats or anything with yucky colours/flavours.  When I have worked hard to fill my body with good stuff I just wont compromise with these things.   Good luck. 

Offline Judydg

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »
Hi all
I am thinking of doing the 21 day plan but can someone tell me if you have to give up coffee - I imagine you would have to but I love my coffee and would give up everything else before giving up coffee!!